Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-19-2010, 8:31 PM Reply   
Okay, another lovely "which boat do I buy" thread. (but hey, you DID click on the boats and accesories topic, right?!) I've got a budget of about 30k.. and seem to have plenty of options in the 5 years and younger catagory. My previous boat, I've just had it with, it ate another belt last night, and that was kind of the last straw. (its 8 years old). It was a flat bottom, 20ft closed bow ski boat that we did some wakeboarding behind (it has a tower) and slalom. I'm a slalom skier that doesnt go over 30mph/15 off, so a low wake in the mid 20's is what I need. My wife is an avid wakeboarder, and we've been using sand bags for ballast. I have spotted a 2009 Moomba Outback with just 10 hours on it for 29k, Seen a 2005 Mobius for $25k, and a 2009 MC X-9 , for 28k. All in the running. Is the mobius going to have too big of a wake empty for a good slalom run? Is the outback going to have too small of a wake for boarding? Is the MC going to have too large a slalom wake all around? How about an X-7? Any thoughts?
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
id be buying this: http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783640
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-19-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
Sorry, forgot to mention, Direct Drive Only... no V drive. My lake does not support v drives (private lake) and slalom is a priority.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2010, 9:12 PM Reply   
Ah, well that changes things. I guess I'd buy that boat and move.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2010, 6:36 AM Reply   
Outback and Mobius are virtually the same hull I believe.

209/X9 is a very similar boat. X7 wouldn't be needed, as you only slalom to 30mph, all these boats would be acceptable, X9 prob the best for skiing.

Do you need a lot of room? Storage? Either Outback or X9 due to age
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-20-2010, 9:00 AM Reply   
X9 hands down. This is the type of boat I ride behind most. It is a really good ski wake and a decent wakeboard wake. Not very meaty until you load it down a little. Very touchy wake when adding weight simply because it's a ski hull. I would be a little curious cause they didn't make the X9 past 05 i believe.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
I know, this isn't one of the boats you mentioned, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case it interests you.

I'm selling a 2005 Malibu iRide with 75.6 hours...

Docking lights,
Bow Rails,
Illusion X tower with 4 speakers, bimini top and board racks)
MLS Ballast (bow)
Isolator switch with dual batteries
Wind block
2 jump seats
flip up bolster seat
4 pop out cleats,
popup bow light
depth finder
two outlet heater
perfect pass cruise control
MP3 Stereo (10 speakers)
2 amps (1 two channel, 1 four channel)
Insulated Motorbox
Table
Hot water shower
Boat Cover
Fiberglass swimstep
Manual Wedge
rear LED lights
Transom remote
Extreme trailer with LED lights and Spare tire
Stainless Exhaust Tips
320 LCR Motor (75.6 hours)

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-20-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
Yeah something like that IRide would be a good choice. Or have you looked at the older Supra Launch series that are direct drives. They also made a Supra Launch SS. Those were both very solid cross over boats.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-20-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
If I were you I would go with the Malibu response lxi. 2003-2006. Great slalom boat . Get one with the wedge and a tower and it will be a decent wakeboard boat too.

I had one and it was great.
Attached Images

Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-20-2010, 3:00 PM Reply   
If you need the room, go with the 209/X-9 otherwise the 197/X-7 is going to give you the best ski wake and just about anything with a little weight can be sufficient for a beginner/intermediate wakeboarder. The 209 stopped being made in 2007 and its replacement is the 214/X-14(better ski boat not as good a wakeboard boat). As it has been said, if you want a Malibu the lxi and Xti are good options too.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-20-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
I would really consider the 2 Malibu direct drive 21 foot hulls made from the 90's to the mid 2000's. If you want to be more geared towards skiing go with the LXi(diamond hull) or if you want to be geared more towards wakeboarding get the LX(wake hull). Get either of them with a wedge and add front ballast. Then you will have have a very versatile boat. The response LXi with a wedge would be a nice boat. The X9/209 or the X7/197 are great options as well as the Nautique 206 and 216. If you want something newer you should be able to find 2006-2008 Moomba outbacks for under 30k. Supra doesn't really make a boat I would consider. A Tige 21i or 22i might be a good option as well.
Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
$28,000 for the iRide... its got 75.6 hours on it... here are some more pics.. if you're interested... let me know, feel free to email me at malibu_adam@yahoo.com

Where are you located? If you're around, we can take it out for a test drive/watersports...
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-23-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
I think I've narrowed it down to the Outback ls (06 and up) and Mobius ls, same years. Can anyone shed light on the Mobius slalom wake between 22 and 30mph? Can the gravity iii ballast be put in the Outback? Im concered about the freeboard on the outback. Maybe it wont be an issue, bit it looks scary low. Theres an 09 Outback with perfect pass and 20 hours around me for 29k... is that too rich? How about an 06 mobius with 275 hours for 26k? No perfect pass. Thoughts?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-24-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaski1 View Post
I think I've narrowed it down to the Outback ls (06 and up) and Mobius ls, same years. Can anyone shed light on the Mobius slalom wake between 22 and 30mph? Can the gravity iii ballast be put in the Outback? Im concered about the freeboard on the outback. Maybe it wont be an issue, bit it looks scary low. Theres an 09 Outback with perfect pass and 20 hours around me for 29k... is that too rich? How about an 06 mobius with 275 hours for 26k? No perfect pass. Thoughts?
USASKI1, if you had to pick between a better ski wake or a better wakeboard wake which would you pick?
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Better ski wake.

Im really close to putting together a deal on a 2008 outback standard, not ls, but does have the transom locker. Its new, never been sold, it is a dealer bank repo. (dealer went under)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-24-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
I dont know if there are any differences between the 08 and 2010 outbacks, but I skied a 2010 and it was nice. Very Comparable to MC197. 15, 22 @34mph were very soft and smooth. The MC209 ski wake is scary to say the least. I would avoid that boat at all cost if your main use will be slalom.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-24-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Better ski wake.

Im really close to putting together a deal on a 2008 outback standard, not ls, but does have the transom locker. Its new, never been sold, it is a dealer bank repo. (dealer went under)
Since ski wake is your higher priority go with the outback. You should be able to plumb a sac into the rear locker and another one in the front ski locker. That should give you 700-1000 pounds of plumbed in ballast that is all hidden in storage areas. That should provide a perfectly adequate wake for a beginner to intermediate rider.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-24-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Too much for everything, but I would have gone with the 209
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-24-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
The gravity iii system is a factory add on, and can be retrofitted, (2 inthe back, and 1 in the ski locker) I called the factory today. Pick up the boat on tuesday. No perfect pass, I'll add that over the winter.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-24-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
The gravity iii system is a factory add on, and can be retrofitted, (2 inthe back, and 1 in the ski locker) I called the factory today. Pick up the boat on tuesday. No perfect pass, I'll add that over the winter.
Congrats. Post up some pics. Did you work them pretty good to get a better deal?

I would check on the price of the gravity 3 add on. You may be able to do it yourself by purchasing the ccomponents seperate. You also may be able to give it bigger bags.

Last edited by polarbill; 09-24-2010 at 7:38 PM.
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-25-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Yeah, a little better deal, still not swingin, but its passable. There are prob better deals out there, but this comes with a full 4 year warranty. And they'll take my old boat on trade, I've tried to sell it twice in the past with no luck.. Its a closed bow boat, 20 ft slalom only with tower. I'll post up pics on tuesday night or wed. Question, if the boat has moomba cruise (which I hear is a POS) can I just pay the upgrade price to stargazer 3 event? Moomba cruise is a perfect pass product.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-25-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah, a little better deal, still not swingin, but its passable. There are prob better deals out there, but this comes with a full 4 year warranty. And they'll take my old boat on trade, I've tried to sell it twice in the past with no luck.. Its a closed bow boat, 20 ft slalom only with tower. I'll post up pics on tuesday night or wed. Question, if the boat has moomba cruise (which I hear is a POS) can I just pay the upgrade price to stargazer 3 event? Moomba cruise is a perfect pass product.
If you are happy with the price that is all that matters.

If moomba cruise is a perfect pass product if may have some of the components already installed. If it already has the paddle wheel and servo motor you should just have to buy a new brain and gauge. If you didn't have PP on your previous boat the Moomba cruise should work fine. You just get up to the speed you want and engage it. I believe it remembers the speed so even if you slow down to pick up a rider it will reengage at the speed it was previously set. You can also adjust it up and down once set. You just have to make sure your speedometer is set correctly so that you know what speed you are running.
Old     (bmr850)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-26-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
i have an 04 outback and mostly wakeskate but do slalom ski sometimes and it is a great slalom wake around 30 mph. not big at all and easy to cut across. When wakeskating though i add weight to it. it dosent have stock ballest but it is very sensitive to weight being added to it. I usually just add weight to the back locker and sometimes to the bow. can't go wrong with moomba. the best customer service when you call them. willing to do anything to help you fix the problem. and I dont have a dealer within 2 hrs of me and they are always willing to ship to my house and be on the phone with you when you install parts.
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-26-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
2004 Outback, How is the slalom wake at 26? 28? at 15 off. From what I have gathered so far moomba cruise = not upgradeable to pp stargazer, or just an older 3 event system. I'm going to call skier to skier or moomba tomorrow and figure out what I can do. Any good deals on PP stargazer or zero off?
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 8:32 PM Reply   
Here she is... woot! I dont get boats every year or even every couple of years.. last boat was 8 years old. So far so good. Zero off, I have to get. Moomba cruise = sucks. Theres no digital tach on this boat, I miss that right off the bat. Also stereo is making a whine when motor is running, a common car audio problem, due to bad ground I'm guessing. Also. Anyone know bout modifing a boat lift? The skegs on this boat are much further back, and are hitting a cross memeber on my boat lift at the lake I live at. (hydohoist) So atm, New Boat is in the water... :-(
Attached Images

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-29-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
Congrats! Nice lookin ride
Old     (usaski1)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-29-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
one more thing: I bought a fly high w707 balalst bag and was going to plumb it in to the stock system. the size is right for the area, but I can only put the drain line in. I have to modify my system by lengthening the hoses for air vent and fill. They are not long enough. There are quick conencts everywhere. can I get a female quick connect, 2 feet of hose, and a male quick connect and extend? Do I need to talk to fly high or wakemakers? I though this bag was a direct repalcement.. Guess not.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
take the boat out, lift the lift up, un-bolt the boards and move them out. When I had mine installed, the installers took about 5min to change the bunks, including the lift going up and down. Very nice boat, I'll eat my words, i'd take that any day
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-29-2010, 11:27 AM Reply   
Just extend the lines: go to HD/Lowes and get 3/4" non-mettalic PVC electrical conduit. You'll notice it's the same material as the stock ballast lines (non-kink). Get some 3/4" pvc barrel connectors with barbs in the plumbing section, some clamps = done.

sweet ride, enjoy. The moomba website has a bunch of great info for you.