Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Just curious and Ive never seen any one ask it. Specifically I see it at the cable whether in person or in movies and clips and what not. Why do so many riders sponsored by a company ride another brands bindings. Ive seen alot of videos of ctrl riders using ronix one bindings or specifically watson bindings. The watsons are sick, and maybe thats why they use them, but wouldnt you think a sponsor would be upset to see their riders on a different companies boots? Just curious
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-23-2012, 6:12 PM Reply   
I know in the case of snowboarders they often just don't have a binding sponsor because their board company doesn't make bindings (eg Travis Rice rides Burton Cartels because Lib doesn't make bindings), but I cant think of any wakeboard companies that don't make their own bindings as well. Really good question, cant say I've noticed it myself, but you're right, it doesn't make sense.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-23-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
im curious what boots the phalanx guys use
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-23-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
No bindings for Humanoid....but I thought I read somewhere that next year they will have a binding for the first time
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-23-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Humanoid will have bindings next year. My friend that rides for Phalanx rides Ronix boots.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-23-2012, 9:41 PM Reply   
things are in the works but take time..
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       05-23-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
Funny I asked myself this same question. My friend rides for ctrl and uses hyperlite system boots/bindings I should ask him haha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2012, 12:21 AM Reply   
Humanoid - "next year"
LWA - "next year" but already pictures of them, had problems and needed to push back
Sine - none
Wakeology - discontinued the one pair they had (because wanted to avoid the patent lawsuits drama) which were like the GB Gonzales boots
Liberation - none
Mutiny freeboards - too new to tell, but only heard about boards.

Good example... or bad:
Parks Bonifay had a screwy scenario when riding for Free Motion back when. correct me if i am wrong or missing info... but he did not like the limited FM line and rode hyperlite boots. the deal was that he could ride the boots but had to remove the boots when on the podium and taking pics and such.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-24-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Who is LWA?
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Travis Rice ride for Union bindings which is a binding specific company. Many of the snowboarders who ride for companies other than burton, K2 and ride ride for separate bindings and boot companies like union and 5150. I don't think wakeboarding will go that way. I know smaller companies like CTRL already have boot they give to their pros and like yall said humaniod is already producing them
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-24-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
im curious what boots the phalanx guys use
i am rocking Co. Vandalls for now....
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
We used to have binding specific companies in wake.

Wiley's, Nice, and Collective Development

I'm almost not old enough to have ridded Wiley's, but Nice and CD made really good stuff back in the day. Byerly used to ride Wiley's (I think), Lyman rode for Nice, and Randall was on CD's for a time.

I rode CD's on my LF Subjekts in 05-07, they were awesome boots, but a pain in the ass to lace up. Once you were in, you definitely weren't coming out....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2012, 1:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
Who is LWA?
Thailand company. started by Bunyalo Lota. popular in Thailand and Philippines. their boards are sandwich construction, wood, flex style. All terrain, wake and park boards. the newest inspire board looks pretty sweet and i dig Jamie Smith's graphic.
they had some velcro boots that were supposed to be out this year that were looking pretty kool. Their first board looked identical to Gator Boards flex board the came out with in their last year(s) of operation (GATOR BOARDS r.i.p.)
http://lwa-wakeboards.com/
http://www.facebook.com/LoveWakeboard
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
We used to have binding specific companies in wake.

Wiley's, Nice, and Collective Development

I'm almost not old enough to have ridded Wiley's, but Nice and CD made really good stuff back in the day. Byerly used to ride Wiley's (I think), Lyman rode for Nice, and Randall was on CD's for a time.

I rode CD's on my LF Subjekts in 05-07, they were awesome boots, but a pain in the ass to lace up. Once you were in, you definitely weren't coming out....
Cant believe i forgot about those guys when this thread opened. CD used to be known as concrete too.

Byerly rode Bad-Ass bindings for a while didn't he. there is another rare example of a rider with different brands of board and boot.
Bad Ass really paved the way for unique graphics and graphics on boots period. before bad ass the boots were plain rubber black booties with some white text and swooshes
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-24-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwakerider14 View Post
Travis Rice ride for Union bindings
Since when? Last I saw he was on a pair of spray painted Cartels (not that I have the most up-to-date sources). Thats awesome if he is on Union though.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-24-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
yeah he's not unles that just broke..
5150???!??!?!?
But yes you get the idea. Board brands and binding brands in snowboarding are generally seperate or
Loosely related, like capita and union bindings, the mervin brands and bent metal, flux Im pretty sure stands alone, switch back and battaleon are also loosely conjoined. Also a lot the boards are designed seperately but made in the same factory In Austria(Rome sds, volcom, I'm pretty sure capita as well) So things are a bit different in snowboarding.

Last edited by simplej; 05-24-2012 at 3:26 PM.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2012, 9:14 PM Reply   
He started riding for them back in January http://www.unionbindingcompany.com/b...es-travis-rice
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2012, 5:27 AM Reply   
Alright getting a little bit off topic into snowboarding. Ive seen some videos of like australian riders for ctrl that ride the watson boots when ctrl makes a couple different model bindings. i know some companies like humanoid dont make bindings but thats besides the point. Why do they choose to ride the watsons when they make the baseline and the rx and the hustle bindings. So many options and i dont get it.....
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-25-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
Where the boots in production when the videos were filmed? I know there was a long time between ctrl's boards and boots being produced