Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 1:35 PM Reply   
Any advice on how to handle the following:

I smacked a turkey with my car about 3 weeks ago ... no damage at first glance, but then got pulled over for a headlight being out - so I went and bought one and upon going to install it I see the mounting brackets for my headlight are broken (what I can only assume was from turkey impact)... these breaks allowed water to enter the housing and sit on the ballast that runs the HID bulbs - it is corroded to **** and that seems to be the cause for the headlight being out.

What I would like to do is file a claim to insurance for this - and hopefulling get the lexus dealship to use these headlights in my quote ( http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/2400.html ) - they're genuine lexus parts that are 100% plug and play (they'll update my 06' headlights to the look of the 2012's)

The package above is $2300 for two housings, bulbs, ballast, wiring clips, etc etc.... just one housing from Lexus (normal one) is like $1250 without bulbs or wiring...

What are the chances that this will go through insurance and the dealership letting me get a quote with the headlights from above?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-04-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure your insurance company will send an adjuster out and he will price the parts for you, meaning that you will most likely get the 1250.00 headlights. If your own your car, your insurance company will just send you the check and it will be up to you what you want to do with the money (fix the car, get the more expensive headlights, whatever). If your car is financed, they may make the check out to you and the dealership. Kind of depends on your insurance company.

Keep in mind that, say for instance the job is going to cost 1500 and you have a 500 deductible, you will get a check for 1000, but the dealership is going to price the job off the estimate from the adjuster, so you will have to pay the 500.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-04-2012, 7:17 PM Reply   
Not to mention your premium might go up also.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-04-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not to mention your premium might go up also.
Since it is my first claim and a turkey is considered "an act of god' my premiums will not be increased.

Quote:
I am pretty sure your insurance company will send an adjuster out and he will price the parts for you, meaning that you will most likely get the 1250.00 headlights.
Given that the insurance company stated I MUST get it repaired at a Lexus dealership but there isn't one within a 80 mile drive they are allowing the dealership to fax a copy of an estimate - so I've been talking to the guys in the Lexus service department to try and butter them up to the idea of replacing both.... hopefully find out tomorrow what will come of it all.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-04-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
FYI. It's called insurance fraud and is a felony.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2012, 4:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
FYI. It's called insurance fraud and is a felony.
There has to be a line between fraud and common sense though right?

I just got my quote for replacing one housings, all the bulbs, and the wiring harness for the driver's side - $2250
... Both housings, all the bulbs and wiring for BOTH sides is $2300, $50 more dollars (which I would gladly pay out of pocket) .... hopefully the check can be made to me and only me since there are no liens on the car - then I'll just do it myself and be done with it. I'm glad they made me get a estimate from a Lexus dealership, don't think they could have asked for a more expensive one.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-05-2012, 7:26 AM Reply   
As an Insurance Agent myself, just be honest with the adjusters. You will be SHOCKED at what they will do for you if they know you are honest. Just tell him what you are thinking and why and talk to him. My company I am sure would work with you on that. Also talk to your Agent. We are friends with those Adjusters and can talk to them on your behalf and if it is really as common sense as you say we can help. Just always be honest with those guys, as soon as they feel you aren't they shut you down and then make life hard. I have seen so many situation go great with honesty and soooooo many go bad when people play games.