Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    tclagggym            08-02-2004, 10:22 PM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone has done anything to their boat to get more power? Performance parts, air filters, computer chips, etc.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2004, 4:34 AM Reply   
Least expensive is a K&N air filter, synthetic oil, and a new Acme prop.
Old    powaman            08-03-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Supercharger, Nitrous Fogger System haha I wish
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2004, 6:58 AM Reply   
My neighbor put one of the tornado devices in both of his trucks, (looks like a peice of metal that fits into the air intake hose that changes the flow of air into a circular motion.). He swears it has added horse power and better fuel consumption. Would this work on a boat somehow? Has anyone tried one of these devices?
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-03-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Tornados are cheap useless pieces of @#$%. Their only use is to suck money from suckers. Sorry to be so harsh but they are completely worthless. Tests have even shown them to reduce power. Your seat of the pants meter can not detect performance increases in a car or truck unless the modification adds about 20hp. Since the Tornado typically reduces power or adds nothing then how can your neighbor tell the difference. It's just wishful thinking.

In a modern fuel injected boat it is difficult to increase performance. The FI systems are pretty crude compared to a car because they do not have mass air sensors or oxygen sensors to handle airflow changes. If you can adjust the fuel pressure on the fuel system then you could do things like porting the heads and intake/exhaust improvements. You would have to compensate for the extra airflow by bumping the fuel pressure. But even then you still can't tune it perfectly.

Carbed motors are easier to modify because you can change jets, powervalves, etc. to adjust your air/fuel ratio. But you need to be an experienced tuner.

If the boat engine manufacturers would just put a mass air meter on these engines then it would be easy to modify them.
Old    nooner            08-03-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
I second what Greg said about the tornado. Talk about a test for stupid people. And guess what? Your neighbor with the trucks failed*LOL*
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-03-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
Karl,
How would synthetic oil increase power?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2004, 9:26 AM Reply   
Synthetic oil may reduce internal engine friction. If it does, you have an apparent increase in hp. You are just minimizing the hp loss from other sources including internally lubricated parts. Read your engine manual to see if it does not tolerate synthetic oils. Some engines with certain valve trains do not like synthetic oils.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
I'm going to forward this to my neighbor, he swears it made a difference
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Tom:

People have been working on the air induction system for over 100 years trying to get cheap horsepower. Believe me, if it was as easy as making the air swirl, every engine manufacturer in the world would have incorporated this long ago.

Rod
Old    powaman            08-03-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
Yup hahah tornado is for retarded people. Like they say people see,hear and feel what they want to. The package says it will increase horsepower, the guy wants it to, so it will think it does.
Old    jeepnautique            08-04-2004, 5:56 AM Reply   
I saw pictures a while back somewhere of a DD nautique with a blower crammed under the engine cover.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Using Crouch's Planing Speed Forumla:

speed = C/sqrt(lbs/HP)

Where C is the coefficient of drag for a planing hull.

My boat is about 2500 lbs and the engine is 310 hp, solving for C I get 128. Now lets say I put in a marine Corvette motor producing 375 horsepower. The maximum speed would increase from 45 to 49mph.

The equation has limits, speed should be in knots, and C is not really linear but as you can see adding horsepower to a ski boat is not very practical.
Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Mike,
You are absolutely right. The price for the additional HP is not economical nor recommended. Tq is the key to moving any mass from a steady state, Hp is for the top speed. However by increasing the Tq you also strain components further. There is always a trade off. The downside is a broken boat somewhere on your trip or a severely diminished boat life expectancy. These boats are incredible as delivered.
Old     (doubleup144)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Here's the link to the Supercharged Nautique. Some major dinero and gas guzzling, but no problems with the holeshot or weighting the boat down.

http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=album_pic&pic_id=66
Old    jeepnautique            08-04-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
I had forgotten about the badass headers on there too.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-04-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
This looks like one of the ski flying rigs that Correct Craft put together using a supercharged version of the 6.0L GM Vortec engine back in 2002.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-04-2004, 5:31 PM Reply   
I have an 04 VLX and it comes with an K&N air filter.