Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Hey guys
I just need some input on these two boats. I was going to get the super air 210 some months ago but held off and now its the 230 or VLX. These both are 2012's. we primarily wakeboard with occasional surfing. Haven't had chance to ride behind the 230. This is not to start a war, I just need opinions. I know the 230 is 2 feet longer but please help me out. Comparing of wakes would be great. Which would have firmer wake. Please help. Thanks.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
Correction, the 230 is only 1' 6" longer. The more appropriate comparison would be 230 to LSV, but if you are looking at holdover VLX on a dealer lot then you may not have a choice.

this depends so much on your budget, the cost of the boats, the options, your tow vehicle, etc... Basically, we need more info to help you spend YOUR money. LOL
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-01-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
What's your reasoning for not considering a 210 anymore? If its size then its a easy decision, 230 all the way otherwise you will prob have buyers remorse with any sub23' boat. But the cost diff between a VLX and 230 is pretty far apart, like was said before you should be thinking LSV which I think normally is still cheaper than a 230.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
lets just post pics of 230's and VLX's already and make this thread interesting...
ill start:

BTW: 230 big boat
VLX smaller boat

230 wake Peaky(more vert)
VLX wake more Rampy

Last edited by migs; 02-01-2013 at 3:10 PM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 3:15 PM Reply   
heres some 230's .
Attached Images

Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 3:26 PM Reply   
Have a 2013 avalanche with bigger engine. Currently pull a Mb f21. The 210 was not roomy enough. Price difference for 230 and vlx is roughly 12,000. Have had malibus and love them but always wanted a nautique. Just thoroughly confused. Both loaded. Just so confused. Both wakes are great but didn't have enough time to play with additional weight. It is time for me to shut up or do it per both dealers or they will sell at boat show. Just need help. I will have to give either no refundable deposit because home equity loan is taking forever. Any help appreciated.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 3:28 PM Reply   
"Have had malibus and love them but always wanted a nautique"

^^^there's your answer my friend.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2013, 3:32 PM Reply   
What year is the VLX (it depends, also options are different with years)? In my opinion the VLX (and Malibus in general) have a more versatile wake that is less sensitive to different weighting options. On the other hand, the SAN 230 is my favorite wake even though it is touchy side to side. (I like a 750 in each back compartment and a 1000 lbs. bow bag up front, which is a good setup for either boat on top of the stock tanks). Both boats maneuver well with the weight but I've heard the VLX from 2005-2009 and pre-2005 will chine-lock when weighted, although I've never experienced the issue myself in either model.

Both wakes are very similar with long transitions with a nice kick at the top, but in general the 230 has a steeper, more crisp lip, and one of the longest surf curls I have ever seen/surfed in person when weighted properly. It is also more spacious than the VLX. The VLX has the adjustability with the Wedge, but most professionals don't even use it (and depending on engine and prop, you might not be able to use it with an extra 2500 lbs).

Reasons to get the 230:
Wake has a little more kick
Bigger boat, more room
Pull out carpet
Zero off cruise
Better surf wake

Reasons to get VLX:
Lighter, better trailering, better fuel efficiency on water
More versatile wake with wedge
Less sensitive to weight movement
Typically cheaper
Shorter (garage?)
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 4:09 PM Reply   
They are both 2012s with 0 hours. Both are loaded. The 230 is team edition and the vlx has everything but shower. As silly as it sounds maybe I should see which dealer steps up and gives e more for trade in. The extra seat in the 230 I assume you would have to store in garage if you are not utilizing it.? Just need opinions because giving nonrefundable deposit. They are both steals compared to 2013 prices. Don't surf that much so surf gates are not a big deal for us. That are the only changes I see for the 2013. More input appreciated. I appreciate you that have answered.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 4:23 PM Reply   
Oh one last thing. The 230 has factory amp, subs, tower speakers. The vlx has wet sounds throughout. Don't know if that makes a big difference though. The wife likes the 230 because of trash container built in and the Bimini because it always stays up. Lol
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2013, 4:45 PM Reply   
For an upgrade you can get Nautique's new waveplate on the 2012 but you can not get the surf gate for a 2012 Malibu. I don't have as much experience with the newer VLX, but it is similar to the old one. If you have the option, I've heard Malibu's 22 MXZ has the best wake in their line, although I've never rode behind it... get a test drive/ride if you can.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2013, 5:02 PM Reply   
Im a Malibu convert from a Supra...

First, I have witnessed many comments on this board about the 230 wake being tempermental and hard to clean up. I have never been behind a 230, but I have spent quite a bit of time in my 2011 VLX. The VLX wake is incredibly versatile, you can get a nice beginner clean wake at 17mph, or go full quad tanks and wedge and get a very nice advanced wake. A better comparison is the LSV to the 230, they are more comparable in size.... the VLX is similar in size to the 210. Malibu is also offering plug and play in the 2013 models now. I did test drive an LSV a couple weeks ago, the wake is also very easy to dial in, super clean at lower speeds and really nice when loaded up with the wedge.

You should go out and really spend some time in each boat, Nautique builds very nice boats, and so does Malibu, They have different fit and finish characteristics, and look totally different. The G3 tower on the Malibu is my favorite tower, it also can hold a lot of gear with the quad board rack option, and you can also get a Z5 for them now. I had a Z5 on my Supra, they are nice but the only problem with them is you cant really ever take them down. And they are a pia to move around and store in your garage. Sometimes its nice to have the open sky above you. Hands down the Nautique wins in seating configurations, there rear facing seating options are really nice. Malibu still has yet to come up with anything significant like the Nautique seating arrangement.

Most dealers on trade ins will not give you near the retail value of your boat, I would highly recommend trying to sell it yourself to put the most $ in your pocket.

Oh and for what its worth, I just placed an order on a 2013 VLX, I love the boat, and with surfgate its even gets better. For a 21' 6" boat is handles 8-10 people nicely and the Monsoon 350 motor is plenty of juice for it.

Last edited by fman; 02-01-2013 at 5:09 PM.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 5:14 PM Reply   
Not willing to pay thousands more for a 2013 but appreciate the suggestion. There is no LSV to checkout. Just need pro's and con's for both. Putting down $5000 nonrefundable deposit before 2/7 is daunting. Working a lot too which is why I so appreciate comments
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
How many in your typical crew? If you're usually only 3-5 the 230 may just be too big
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
Usually 5-7. Sometimes more.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-01-2013, 5:56 PM Reply   
I just bought my second Malibu. However, it were my decision I'd go with the 230 for the extra room alone. I had a usual crew of about 6-7 in my VLX and wished I had a 23 foot boat. I had up to 12-14 a few times and HATED IT. If you spend ALL DAY on the water for me it would be the 230 no question about it.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-01-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
I owned 3 230s and i never could get the wake to cooperate when loading the boat heavy. Other than that they were great. Do your research and demo demo demo with the amount of weight that you plan to run.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-01-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
The 230 has a great slammed wake if you like to ride fast and really long. I prefer to ride at like 23mph at 75ft. The 230 wake with 2k over stock was suicide at that length and speed.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
The 230 does have the z5 Bimini on the tower. Wife likes it cuz you can leave it up all the time. One negative on the 230 is no swivel seat. So confused and wife no help.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2013, 6:08 PM Reply   
sounds like your decision is more based on quality of wake, so maybe I shouldn't comment.... but I owned a 210 for 10 years...that boat was practically a member of the family. Fit and finish impeccable, very few problems in 10 years of ownership.

"upgraded" to a new 2011 Malibu 23 LSV that we currently own. While it's definitely a step up as it's 10 years newer, I've been a bit disappointed in the quality versus Nautique. Just a small example, one of my tower screw knobs has kept unscrewing on it's own. Funny when you have a brand new boat you're showing off to friends and one of the tower screws keeps falling into the boat while you're out on the water. i finally wrapped the tower screw in duct tape which seems to work. Have had a number of issues like that on the new 'Bu, i thought that was crap we only had to deal with on 10 year old boats. Take it for what it's worth, my neighbor has been a 'bu guy for 20 years and swears by them.

My wife doesn't like the new Nauty's just like she doesn't like my BMW. interior is more "cold". Others like myself view it as functional and high quality.

Just rambling, but there you go...
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-01-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
I had an LSV.. friend had a 230.. I grew to like his wake MUCH more than mine (he had extra ballast plumbed in). Not sure about the comments with it being finicky - his was never an issue to dial in. Built like a tank, super nice boat. I loved my Malibu, but I went Nautique after spending a lot of time in his.

We both just got G23s, though.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-01-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
^^^^ nice!!!!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
sounds like your decision is more based on quality of wake, so maybe I shouldn't comment.... but I owned a 210 for 10 years...that boat was practically a member of the family. Fit and finish impeccable, very few problems in 10 years of ownership.

"upgraded" to a new 2011 Malibu 23 LSV that we currently own. While it's definitely a step up as it's 10 years newer, I've been a bit disappointed in the quality versus Nautique. Just a small example, one of my tower screw knobs has kept unscrewing on it's own. Funny when you have a brand new boat you're showing off to friends and one of the tower screws keeps falling into the boat while you're out on the water. i finally wrapped the tower screw in duct tape which seems to work. Have had a number of issues like that on the new 'Bu, i thought that was crap we only had to deal with on 10 year old boats. Take it for what it's worth, my neighbor has been a 'bu guy for 20 years and swears by them.

My wife doesn't like the new Nauty's just like she doesn't like my BMW. interior is more "cold". Others like myself view it as functional and high quality.

Just rambling, but there you go...
If your refering to the tower "knob" coming loose, not sure if you are aware but there is an allen head fitting on the bottom. You can use an allen wrench and really tighten them down and you wont have an issues with this anymore. I was having the same issue and once I tightened the knob down with the wrench it never loosened up again.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakintime View Post
The wife likes the 230 because of trash container built in and the Bimini because it always stays up. Lol
If the trash can is deal breaker for your wife, please tell her that the VLX has a built in trash can too. It's true!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-01-2013, 9:03 PM Reply   
Rather than rehash what's already been said, I'll try to mention a few things that haven't...

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is handling. I've never driven a 230, but I'm guessing the VLX (which I have driven tons) handles much better. It's like driving a BMW on the water... The Ultimate Driving Machine. No joke. And I'm not just talking about the turning... it's the everthing from the steering feel to the precision of the throttle. I drove a G25 a few months ago... and while obviously it handles like a barge, it was the throttle feel that concerned me the most... very hard to move smoothly back and forth, hard to find neutral (requires lots of hunting). I'm not sure if other Nautique throttles feel that numb.

And yes, I will concur with what Fman said about the wake... it's the cleanest, least sensitive, most adjustable wake I've ever experienced. Coming from an MB F21 myself, I was amazed at the adjustability of the VLX wake. It's been a really nice feature for our family.

All I know about the 230 wake is what Chattwake has posted in the past... if it's as washy as he says, I want no part of it.

The interior alone should help you make the decision. Not that one is better than the other, they're just polar opposite. Generally people who love the deep, soft Malibu interior wouldn't like the no frills Nautique interior. On the other hand, those who love the Nautique interior love it for it's function over form. Which do YOU like?

Finally, VLX has bow ballast. Does the 230? After having an F21 that desperately needed bow ballast, I'll never have another boat without it.

Happy shopping!
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-01-2013, 11:43 PM Reply   
The VLX doesn't have front ballast. Bummer. Though we do have 500 lbs of pop bags. I guess I need to no with standard ballast what wake is bigger and not washy. The 230 has the bigger engine which could be a plus or minus depending on gas prices.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2013, 4:49 AM Reply   
I am the friend of big gator that had a 230. I can tell you that I had 2k plumbed in above stock. We ran at 23.5 at 70 or 75ft and had no issues and always had a big and nice wake. I must say it is touchy to side to side weight but if balanced, it rocks. Enough to convince a Malibu lsv owner to jump to nautique. For the side to side weight we has two 50lb lead bricks with handles that we could move to balance.

I did just get G23s but there is a part of me that misses my 230. I had a moomba, a couple supras and rode in many Malibu. My 230 was by far my favorite boat to date. Can't wait for weather to warm up so my G can take that lead spot.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-02-2013, 5:58 AM Reply   
If your coming from a f21, I would think your only going to be happy in a 23' boat. The function of the 230 can't be beat. You will love the seating options and so will your passengers.
As for handling put 4000lbs in both boats and tell me which one handles better? That's what's important. And who ever posted about stiff throttle and not being able to find neutral??? Must have been a isolated faulty system on that boat.

Lastly I'll throw this out there and it will prob irritate the Bu guys but I firmly believe that depending on the colors the SAN will definitely hold more value and be much easier to sell in 5yrs than that VLX will be.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-02-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
This is the internet and anything is possible.With that being said i owned a Nautique for 15 years and it was flawless.Quality won't be an issue.I've ridden in many Malibu's . They also make a excellent boat.Looking at your dilemma i would recommend the 23LSV as a comparison to the 230.Then it would be closer to apples to apples.Your crew would enjoy the extra room and storage in a bigger boat.Just my 2 cents.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2013, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
If your refering to the tower "knob" coming loose, not sure if you are aware but there is an allen head fitting on the bottom. You can use an allen wrench and really tighten them down and you wont have an issues with this anymore. I was having the same issue and once I tightened the knob down with the wrench it never loosened up again.
Actually, I didn't know that...thanks for the heads up! Hopefully i can stop my regular duct tape wrap now...lol!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 6:48 AM Reply   
Since we are talking quality. I will say that, having owned an 07 vlx and then 3 230s, I had vinyl issues with both my vlx and with every one of my nautiques. I had some discoloration issues with my vlx and a speaker and bilge pump go out. With my 230s, the jump seats ripped at the seams with all three boats, the seats also ripped at the seams in the rear corner bases. I had a tower crack on my 09, a throttle positioning sensor go out on my 08, and problems with zero off on both my 09 and 10. I also had the exhaust vents develop cracks in the gel on all three of my 230s.

All boats will have issues, and nautiques are not immune. Going from a vlx to a 230, I noticed and appreciated the increased room. I liked the interiors of both boats, but forums the ergonomics of the vlx a but more comfortable. The 230 handled very well loaded and unloaded with weight.

One thing to consider is your tow vehicle. The 230 is much heavier than the vlx. I traded in a Tahoe for a dodge 2500 diesel to pull the 230s. Tow both with what you have and factor that in. As for the 230 holding its value better, you need to think about what's going to happen to the value of that boat now that the g series is out. It's no longer the flagship nautique. On e the g21 comes out, rumor is that cc intends to market the g line as the upper echelon boats, and then essentially detune the 210 and 230 to keep cost down on that non-g line. If that pans out, and you end in a situation where the future 230 cost remains static, resale prices will drop quicker than it has in the past. Also, when used g23s and leftover g23s start hitting the market (dealers are going to have to start dumping holdovers before free floor planning expires and they are staring down paying 6% on those 100k invoice g's) that's also going to compress the cost difference between a used 230 and a g23. That does not bode well for resale because the g23 is a far superior boat to a 230.

These are just my thoughts. I'm not trying to inflame anyone, and feel free to disagree. Just food for thought. I know it I was in the market for a nautique, I'd either wait for the g21 release, or hunt a leftover g23 or demo g23.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2013, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
The VLX doesn't have front ballast. Bummer. Though we do have 500 lbs of pop bags. I guess I need to no with standard ballast what wake is bigger and not washy. The 230 has the bigger engine which could be a plus or minus depending on gas prices.
No bow ballast in the VLX? I thought you said it was loaded? Honestly, while technically an option, I've never seen one wthout. This may explain why it's leftover.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Oh and there should be a big difference in cost between the vlx and the 230 with the big motor. If you want to ballpark some prices to us then we can give you more feedback. I've seen some nice lightly used 2012 vlxs for mid to high 50s. If you're looking at picking up the 230 in the low 70s then that's a deal.

And I'm not saying that the 230 resale will be worse than a vlx, only that I don't know that it will be better. I will say that I was very happy with how my 230s held their value, but I personally think the landscape has changed somewhat from 2010.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
I would not consider a vlx with no bow ballast.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Chatt, please post a link to a 2012 VLX in the "mid to high $50's."

I gotta see this cuz what I'm seeing is more like mid to high $60's.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 7:15 AM Reply   
DBC I'm sorry you're right I was thinking axis. I just sold mine yesterday so I was wrong. The 12 vlxs I'm seeing are mid 60s. Hahaha

That being said, if you can pick up the 230 in the high 70s and a nice vlx in mid 60s you're doing pretty good.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 7:17 AM Reply   
Here's a decent vlx for 62k. http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36254
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Another http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35202
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2013, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Manual wedge, no Maliview, no bow ballast, sound pack 1.

As VLX's go that is stripped. Those are the key options.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-02-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
The second boat I posted is more loaded. Here's also anothe vlx for mid/high 60s that fully loaded.
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=35889
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-02-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Here... this one is better. Loaded up, and I know the owner... he's flexible Pretty sure he'd take mid-$60's. ;->

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-VLX-101857881

Last edited by ixfe; 02-02-2013 at 7:45 AM.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-02-2013, 1:07 PM Reply   
Wow. This is making me think I should just keep my boat. The nautique will lose value because of the g series? Don't get VLX without front ballast? I thought weight would take care of that. I just think I would be an idiot to get a 2013 for $10-12,000 more very very little change. Help me out here guys.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-02-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
These are just peoples opinions.What you and your wife think is most important.Both are great boats,you can't go wrong with either.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       02-02-2013, 2:43 PM Reply   
A 230 will not lose value because of the G series, that's pretty inaccurate. We can't get enough 230's here in Orlando. I could use 3-4 of them right now. G series are nice yes, but they are a pretty big step up in price therefore leaving 230's a great core boat for serious riders not looking to spend 6 figures plus. As far as performance, the 230 drives just as sporty as the VLX with the exception that the VLX is slightly shorter in length and may has a slightly tighter turning diameter (I doubt you'll ever need your boat to turn that tight). They're both great boats, you need to drive both and see which fits your needs the best. See if the dealer will allow you to weight each boat the way you want it weighted so you can rest assured the boat will produce a wake to your standards. Lastly, getting a deal isn't always getting deal if the dealer has a terrible service department. If both boats are that comparable that you just can't make a decision, yet the price is right on both, go with the dealer that will take better care of you after the sale. That can be huge, not to mention when something goes wrong and you want it fixed quick a sub par dealer may not make that happen for you. Look at the overall picture and which fits you best. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either, but don't let the resale value of a 230 scare you. Ask Chatt, he's bought and sold 3 of them in recent years.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-02-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
I somewhat disagree with above. I agree that from a new price point perspective their may be a different market for the 210/230 vs upcoming g21/g23. But a fair amount of people are trying to get out of their 230 to get the g23. So that supply of 230's creates some lower prices. I am unsure how long that would last. Probably quite a while as people that bought 230's may wait 1, 2, 3, etc years before moving to g23.

I myself would consider going from 210 to 230 for more space. But like others I am concerned about wake problems, real or not.

If you buy a 230 you have to be very comfortable that you are not in nautique's "premier" 23 footer.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-02-2013, 7:39 PM Reply   
The 230 doesn't have bow ballast right? I am so confused my head is spinning. Kinda wish hadn't ask for opinion. They say ignorance is bliss. Gotta believe that now.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-02-2013, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
The 230 doesn't have bow ballast right? I am so confused my head is spinning. Kinda wish hadn't ask for opinion. They say ignorance is bliss. Gotta believe that now.
Pretty much all SANs either the 210 or 230 come with the belly tanks.

It was the VLX that you said didn't come with the front tank. Also if the VLX does have the front tank don't you lose your now storage?

If you want to settle for a boat then the VLX is for you. Otherwise get the 230. But for the ultimate go take a look at the G23!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2013, 8:34 PM Reply   
Do you have or plan on kids anytime soon?

Your wife obviously plays some roll in your decision, but does she wakeboard or plan on it?

Reason I ask is because if you have kids or plan on it, and/or if your wife rides or wants to learn, the VLX is the preferred wake, in my opinion. It is a very mellow wake that is clean at very slow speeds (a lot slower than your F21 and not as steep). Coming from a boat that I had to pull my wife and beginner friends at 21+ to have a clean wake, now to a boat that it is clean at 17 on both sides, or 16 on one side, it is a BIG deal and huge plus. If you like the wake steeper you can drop the wedge. The boat itself is similar size as your MB but it handles better(as far as turning ability) unweighted and weighted, and will be more maneuverable than the 230 at any speed especially around the docks and trailer due to 1 1/2' less length... so if your wife is not really comfortable or really good at driving, I think the VLX will be the better boat to get her there.

I have driven the VLX loaded (4K) often and it never chine locked or walked on me, handles amazing loaded down. Firm wakes? not sure if either have the advantage, speed and bow weight will firm a wake on any wakeboat, but since the SAN has a bow tank, it wins here. As for the bimini that stays up on the 230, is it a Z5 cargo? The VLX can have a Z5, but the stock bimini can stay up at all times as well.

Not sure if you mentioned prices, so sorry if you did already, but what is the price difference. If it is less than $10k more for the 230, then I think it's a no brainer to go with the 230.... but if the price is +$10k-15k... then it is a toss up on how good a deal the 230 is, and I would go with the VLX.

You have a great delimna on your hands.... either boat is amazing.

Good luck, pics as soon as you get her.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-03-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
For me its a dealbreaker with no bow ballast on the VLX, imo, epic fail on whoever ordered that boat. Probably why they are having a hard time selling it.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
Johnny said it right. If the dollars are close go with the bigger boat, it's a no brainer. And this is coming from a guy who sells Malibu's. If you were talking 230 vs LSV then test driving would be in order, but if you can get a bigger boat for similar dollars... Jump on it.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-03-2013, 12:17 PM Reply   
I still don't understand why the bow ballast is so critical. I have had a 2004 and 2007 wakestter vlx when bow ballast did NOT exist in the malibu line. We put weight up there. I'm just kinda boggles the mind when people tell you to walk away from a super deal. Anyway thanks for the opinions.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2013, 12:23 PM Reply   
Some misinformation that needs to be cleared up.

The VLX in question does not have the optional bow ballast, but it does have 400lb. tank in the belly. That is standard on all Wakesetters.

The 230 in question does not have bow ballast either; it's not even an option. So the bow ballast mentioned above is really belly ballast, same as the VLX.

So really both boats ballast systems are set up the same: two rear tanks + one belly tank. Neither have bow ballast.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 12:24 PM Reply   
Bow ballast isn't critical at all if you don't mind tossing a fat sac pump in the water every now and then.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2013, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
This is the internet and anything is possible.
Nobody knows this more than Mr. 95 feet.

Sorry, Robert. I just couldn't resist.
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 12:29 PM Reply   
and DBC is right. Nauti doesn't offer the bow ballast that is optional in the Malibu line. The reason Malibu makes it an option is because some people don't want to sacrifice the walkway for weight.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2013, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
and DBC is right. Nauti doesn't offer the bow ballast that is optional in the Malibu line. The reason Malibu makes it an option is because some people don't want to sacrifice the walkway for weight.
Bingo! Choice is good!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-03-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
But malibus don't have walkways?
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
2013 Malibu VTX without bow ballast
Attached Images

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 1:07 PM Reply   
2013 Malibu VLX with bow ballast. And my shoe.
Attached Images

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-03-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Sure, Malibus have walkthrus...

Here is a pic of my walkthru, and I even have bow ballast. The walkthru looks the same whether you have the bow tank or not.

The only thing you lose with the bow tank is the area beneath the bow cushions. The choice I was referring to is between bow ballast or bow storage.

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-03-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
(Slow day at work... haha)
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-03-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
Or you could just get a fligh high under bow bag and get double the weight and keep your walk way

Op how much weight do you run?
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-03-2013, 9:10 PM Reply   
New update. Nautique dealer is going to let me build a 2013 230 for the blow out price of the 2012. Almost too good to be true.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-03-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
And if anyone tells you not to do that then they're crazy.
Your boat. Your colors. Your specs. A boat custom made for you.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-03-2013, 10:08 PM Reply   
Thanks Simple! That's what we think and they can put more ballast than the standard in at the factory. I actually feel like there has to be a catch but there isn't .
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-04-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
No brainier! Congrats!!! DBC how much does the bow ballast add?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
No brainier! Congrats!!! DBC how much does the bow ballast add?
Rear ballast tanks: 250 x 2 = 500
Belly tank: 400
Bow tank: 350

Total: 1,250

If the 230 deal is true that seems good, unless they were really inflating the 2012 quote. Make sure you get the new Nautique Surf System.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2013, 10:32 AM Reply   
The factory ballast they are putting in will total 3,000'. Will know by Wednesday how. The 2012 price was way not inflated. That I know for sure.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
The factory ballast they are putting in will total 3,000'. Will know by Wednesday how. The 2012 price was way not inflated. That I know for sure.
Max factory ballast on a 230 is 1,075 lbs, as listed on the Nautique website.

How are you getting 3,000 lbs. Does Nautique have an extra 2,000 of plug-n-play bags now? If so, that's awesome!
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2013, 4:34 PM Reply   
Yes they will add the additional ballast at the factory. Won't know for a couple of days how much more it will cost. Shouldn't be too bad because they just throw in the larger bags or tanks when it is being built. The dealer has had this done at the factory previously for a 210.
Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
Ok I'm sure you guys are gonna groan WTF but Malibu dealer is now put in the ring fully loaded wakesetter 22 MXZ. Can test drive this weekend. Can you guys give me any input on this boat? Is it THE boat the dealer is saying? Wake? Any comments appreciated.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-04-2013, 7:10 PM Reply   
Lol, its almost like you are in the "Shark Tank" wow, they want your business! Dont wait too long, they might change their minds! The MXZ wake from what many say is the best in the Malibu lineup right now. Demo, Demo, Demo my friend.... have them take you out and see first hand! Its a lot of money regardless what you buy. Spend a day on the water with all of them....
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2013, 9:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
If you want to settle for a boat then the VLX is for you. Otherwise get the 230. But for the ultimate go take a look at the G23!
Spoken like a true uneducated brand biased prick...
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-04-2013, 9:09 PM Reply   
I had a 2011 vlx and currently own 2012 lsv. Resell on vlx is great! Very easy to sell. Ask Fman as well... Both boats are quality boats. Test drive both or all three, including the 22 mxz and make a decision. You can't go wrong with this, all great choices. I would like hope you join the malibu family though! Btw, malibu has a trash can as well.

The mxz is a great boat. Lots of cool features. Just realize that mxz has more room in bow and less in cockpit than vlx. Just depends on where you want your room.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-04-2013, 9:31 PM Reply   
I thought the cock pit of the MXZ was the same size of the VLX. But just feels smaller because of the huge bow. Also in build quality standards (in my eyes) i like how the SANs interior is a single mold, making it a real solid structure. Unlike the VLX which has L brackets and screws connecting the floors mold to the seating structure where y'all sit. ALTHOUGH the mxz lineup now goes thru the "one single piece mold" that Nautique does.

Just stirring the pot...
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2013, 10:16 PM Reply   
The MXZ is a sick boat. It is technically smaller in the cockpit than the VLX, but not by much. In some ways the MXZ feels bigger, probably because it's 2" wider and deeper too.

Of course, the bow is deep and massive.

My favorite feature by far is the transom "couch" seating. We spend a lot of time back there when we are floating, kids swimming, after a set, etc.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-04-2013, 10:19 PM Reply   
Obviously a demo is in order... you'll know what boat you want after demos.

But sometimes a virtual demo can quench your thirst for boat porn. This video is as good as any I've seen on the 22 MXZ.

from Ioda Media on Vimeo.

Old     (wakintime)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-05-2013, 12:03 AM Reply   
I think I might have just fell in love.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-05-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabonners View Post
Spoken like a true uneducated brand biased prick...
Truth hurts, doesn't it. If you would have bothered to follow this from the start you would know he already has a 21ft boat and wants something larger. If he gets a VLX he will be settling, bottom line. Sorry if that hurt your poor Malibu feelings. Seems like you have the owner goggles on in this my man.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       02-05-2013, 6:09 AM Reply   
I love all of these threads that keep popping up. "Compare G23 to New Star" "Compare 230 to Z3 to mxz24" "Compare G23 to RZ2" "Compare 230 to VLX" with all OPs "so confused and 'looking for sincere advice'" All while rattling the cages of every single brand loyal goggle wearing owner on this board LOL.

To the OP, you've been given the best advice numerous times: Test drive and demo. If you even have a hunch that you THINK you want a bigger boat - trust your gut, you want a bigger boat. I've been in LSVs and 230s (not from the same year) and I liked both. They were weighted differently but both wakes were great. I only mentioned the LSV because you're comparing apples to oranges - when comparing apples to oranges, pick what you like best.

If you THINK you want a Nautique - you probably do actually want a Nautique. I think other interiors are more plush but overall you can't beat Nautiques interiors. Attention to detail, goretex stitching.

I believe the Nautique will have a firmer wake... I've never hit a harder wake than a Nautique 230 and G23 wake...