Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2012, 4:36 PM Reply   
What vouchers do, to my understanding, is allow the money you pay in taxes to follow the student. For example, if I am not satisfied with a school, I could change without having to move. Right now, I have no choice where my kids go. Another advantage would be is people with kids in private schools could use their tax money toward tuition so, in theory, more parents would have a choice to whether send their kids to a private school or public school. IMHO, the competition could lead to better public schools because they’ll be in a competition for students. Also, it's not fair for people to pay property taxes and private school tuition.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
"schools that pop up with the vouchers can't even keep records of where their money goes. If you want to throw money away go with vouchers." I wouldn't think schools would just "pop" up we're not talking about that much money. Again, to me, it's about freedom of choice. My friends who attended private schools growing up "cruised" through college. They were so much better prepared than I was. My nephew’s kids attend a private school and have better math skills than I do. In addition, some kids in larger cities are being bused hours away from their neighborhood schools. Shouldn't parents have some say in how and where their kids are educated?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-01-2012, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
What vouchers do, to my understanding, is allow the money you pay in taxes to follow the student. For example, if I am not satisfied with a school, I could change without having to move. Right now, I have no choice where my kids go. Another advantage would be is people with kids in private schools could use their tax money toward tuition so, in theory, more parents would have a choice to whether send their kids to a private school or public school. IMHO, the competition could lead to better public schools because they’ll be in a competition for students. Also, it's not fair for people to pay property taxes and private school tuition.
But I'd figure as a States' rights guy, that you'd rather the taxes not be collected at all and leave administration of schools to local government. It doesn't get much more "local" than your kids' elementary school.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-01-2012, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker1234 View Post
In addition, some kids in larger cities are being bused hours away from their neighborhood schools. Shouldn't parents have some say in how and where their kids are educated?
Is this still true? I'm pretty sure most (all?) federal desegregation busing plans have been abandoned. I know the one I grew up under has.

In my local district, one of the worst performing schools has been converted to a college prep magnet school. It has taken about a decade to catch on, but now almost half the student body is out of the zoned area and attends by choice (mostly on their own transportation too). Mostly latino locally zoned kids, mostly white/asian magnet kids.

My daughter attends and has been really happy with it. No voucher required, just a little school district creativity. It's way harder than my mediocre high school was.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-01-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
True, after many billions of dollars have been spent on court fees and lawyers, most of what you are referring to has ended but it’s not over. As a state’s right guy, I really don’t mind paying my fair share of taxes, but I would like more options on where my kids could attend school. IMHO, the voucher system is just one step in the right direction away from mediocre.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-02-2012, 6:27 AM Reply   
Ron, here in Ohio we have some excellent public schools, which can compete with any private schools, and there are still students who live in the district of excellent schools who choose to go to "charter schools", which are sub-educational for profit facilities. Maybe these students don't need a college preparatory education or they are following the path of least resistance, but they are taking money away from a good public school system, so we are rewarding mediocrity.
When you talk about private schools, you are talking about non-profit schools, which in Ohio are mostly catholic and are excellent college preparatory schools, yet for some reason the students cannot get vouchers to go to these excellent schools. Each school must cater to the students needs or ability, if 90% of the students in a public school system want and can handle a college prep program(which is so much easier with today's technology) then they should put the 10% who are not ready for the program in an "alternative school". Likewise, if only 10% of the students want to study, then the other 90% should be shipped off to some skills alternative school.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-03-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
"yet for some reason the students cannot get vouchers to go to these excellent schools" That's my problem with the current system, the access. Again, in theory, with the voucher system, I could use the money our district gets and apply that to tuition at a private school. True, that will take money out of the district but the flip side is this may create a healthy competition and give more people access to private schools. If you are happy with the situation, the money will stay in the district. If not, take you business elsewhere.