Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
So here's my question:

"What if people used wakeboarding as a means to escape the daily grind and the frustrations of life?"

Isn't that what all of us do it for, in addition to learning a new trick,winning a contest,show our individual style, have a sense of accomplishment, teach a friend to do something he/she will enjoy, etc? I get sick of going on youtube to watch a video that pertains to wakeboarding to end up reading the comments afterwords where another wakeboarder says something like, "This guy sucks at wakeboarding" What! I'm sure that person just jumped on a board and threw a Tantrum to Blind his first time right? No, he probably went through the same learning process as everyone else. Or as an example you get on a thread and a simple question or comment by 1 person has turned into a "Who's the Genius" contest. Or how about this one, your at an event and there always seems to be a handful of people who obviously came by themselves or maybe w/ their g/f b/f, and you can tell they havn't ever wakeboarded before or maybe just tried it a few times, yet they're just standing there contently by themselves watching. For me I use it as an opportunity to take someone who's obviously interested in wakeboarding and make them feel like they're part of the group, show some interest, ask a question, offer them a pull. That's what wakeboarding should be about: Progressing, Helping others Progress, and Having a means to Enjoy Yourself and the company of Friends..Some of you will read this and feel the same way and for the ones that don't I'm not sure what to say"Know body's gonna tell you how to act" My point is the more positive we are as individuals, the better off everyone will be. Using good ethics in every aspect of wakeboarding is going to go farther than criticism and cliches.

I'm not a "Free Spirit" or any other slang you can come up w/ It's really just COMMON SENSE.
I'm hoping this won't be taken out of context, as it should be a good discussion for coming up with some great ideas on how to improve this sport for those who really appreciate it.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2011, 7:43 AM Reply   
Nice post, Shaun. Thinking about it, couldn't we just expand your post for wakeboarding in general to just about every aspect of life?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-31-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
Thats Deep Bro! I tottaly see the negative vibes you do but i think in every sport you have the hot shots and the modest guys.... I remember last year I was at Mccromicks and I saw this dude Killing it on a CWB vibe i had no idea who he was until i saw his name Stickered on the board it was Derek Grassman and one of his buddies from his home town... We got talking and before i knew it i was doing a lap around Mccormicks on his board.... People like that... Want the sport to grow... He coulda been a dick and told me and my buddie to get Bucked.. but he was cool and modest... AND THATS WHAT WE NEED
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
I'm glad to see that makes 3 of us, and you guys are right it's SO easy to be good to other people, I try my best to use that mentality daily but I'm not perfect so I try and be in the aspect of Wake as it's my out from life's BS. Likin this thread already!
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
I'm laid off for the winter and will be moving from IL to Daytona to attend Wyotech's Marine Technician's program, what better way to surround myself w/ wakeboarding than to be a boat mechanic right? Anyways I don't have a pile of cash laying around but I'm hoping when things settle down I can hold an event or promote a product that conveys this message. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
This is an example of what I'm talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXs5zTQYBc0
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-31-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Nice! This how it's suppose to be! This summer, my friends and me will set a second edition of a different kind of wakeboard festival. The main goal is to promote the sport and push people to try it. Everything turns around trying!. Now, we got some modest wakeboard demos and normal wake fest stuff, but the the main thing is that we got 3 boats and a bunch of coachs ready to go! No stress... 2h for four riders! I want to make it bigger in the futur but I will always keep a place for the people.
The thing is this place got a crazy lake, a lot of boats, but no wakeboarders at all. It could be cool to create a wakebord culture in my hometown! I'm not a strong rider and there's not so much pressure on the lake! So, I want to create a wakeboard event to show how this sport is cool and power turns are bad! lol
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-31-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
New?
Old    Ron1xNautique            01-31-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminp View Post
New?
What do you mean exactly by saying that, I think you missed the point of what was being said...
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-31-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
u made my day man
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-01-2011, 4:44 AM Reply   
Well that was pretty cool. I'm reading this post, liking the subject. Then Shaun uses the latest WTW video for an example. WOW !

I like what Shaun is saying. One of the things I like to live by or tell the kids I teach is: "If you always put others first, you always come out ahead." or as the bible says: "Love thy neighbor as thy self." Either way you put it, caring for others first will bring you great joy & satisfaction. Don't believe me, that's fine. Try it for a week then tell me that..