Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-29-2011, 9:37 AM Reply   
I'm gonna be moving to hampton, va area in a month or so (stationed at langley afb). Any wake scene up there or am i going to be stuck going to williamsburg re-enactments every weekend? Last resort ill just eat blue crabs all day.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
You have the James river and the Chickahomony river close by.
Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       12-29-2011, 9:57 AM Reply   
check out the group "LynX Wakeboarding" on facebook they ride down in VA beach. The are a lot of places to ride throughout VA so i think you can stay away from the re-enactments, blue crabs are a good choice though.
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-29-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
haha nice! Thanks for the info. any rumors of cables going up in the near future?
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-29-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
There has been a rumor floating around for years but we've seen no action that I know of. We ride here in VB and at Lake Gaston. The scene is spotty at best. You'll be able to find something to ride within an hour or so drive for sure though.
Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       12-29-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Agree with Charles its very spotty. I ride in southwest VA at claytor lake if you ever make it this way let me know. Check out Adam fields wake school at lake Gaston for some good coaching. season should start up again in late march
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-29-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
will do. anyone know the distance from that area to ECWP?
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-29-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Best guess is around 4 hours? I know I looked it up once and decided it was too far for me personally. 2nd Coaching with Adam Fields at Lake Gaston...the guy is just a stand up as a rider and coach. Your best bet is either Richmond (Chic) or over this way on the intracoastal waterway area for people with boats. DCwake.com is where I located my first ride here locally and I have also used endofropegang.com. Unfortunately, both of them appear to be pretty much dead and fizzled these days.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcuwake View Post
will do. anyone know the distance from that area to ECWP?
From Richmond it's about 2-1/2 hours.I would guess it's under 3 hours from Hampton.58 might be a faster route for you though.I'd have to Mapquest it.
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-29-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
ya i def think checking out adam field's gig would be a good idea. Seems like a good dude with a lot of good knowledge from what I've seen. Lil bit of a drive but would be a good investment for a wknd trip. Thanks again!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Looks like 58 to 37 or 17 should be less than 3 hours.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-29-2011, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thats pretty sweet. For some reason way closer than I thought. Road trip may be in order!
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       01-04-2012, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgcuwake View Post
I'm gonna be moving to hampton, va area in a month or so (stationed at langley afb). Any wake scene up there or am i going to be stuck going to williamsburg re-enactments every weekend? Last resort ill just eat blue crabs all day.
We have a great seem here at Lake Anna!..Only a tad more than two hours away. My got a new board shop coming in at my Marina too!
Old     (trippingbillies)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-11-2012, 3:27 PM Reply   
rare to see anyone posting on here from hampton/tidewater area so I made an account just to tell you.
Minus the brackish water, and thus, the jellyfish at times, the warwick river is incredible. I mean incredible. On a weekday you will find 2 or 3 boats at max out there and weekends 5-10. This river is surrounded by tall marsh grass which acts as a wake dampener - no rebounds off those silly headwalls in lakes. Also, it snakes and winds so you are guaranteed to find glass, yes - glass, on even the windiest of days (40mph). Speaking of snakes there are occasionally mokasins so just fyi. Another badass thing about this river its that it is right next to Fort Eustis base. I know you mentioned being in military so this may be less of an appeal, but blackhawks, chinooks, and other sweet helicopters fly just over head regularly it makes for pretty epic scenery.

Getting there: drive to the end of Denbeigh blvd and you will find Denbeigh docks - left takes you out to the james - right takes you into warwick.

Further up the james are some good spots as well. I suggest putting in at Jamestown settlement, then cruising up to whats called College creek - there is a little beach there and you drive under the parkway.

As others have mentioned, Chickahomony is incredible. Only issue there is its not very post-work accessible. Roughly and hour or so from hampton.

Lake Gaston is good on weekdays and if it is not windy and if you know the right coves. Don't get me wrong, I have family that lives there, we have a house there, but as far as water quality and boat traffic goes, the Chickahomony and Warwick are far superior... If you are looking for a lesson (even if you think you are really good - he trains other pros actually) go see Adam - he really is a super nice and helpful dude.

Hope this helps - enjoy hampton
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-11-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
Well thanks for the detailed heads-up man! The warwick sounds like a good option with the glassy coves and what not. I used to ride on a river like that here in FL so that will be nice to get back to if I can find some pulls, and the snakes dont sound like a bad trade for gators. As far as getting an occasional set in with Adam Fields, that sounds like a pretty good time and despite my superior prowess on the water(hahaaa), I could use some pointers! I'm also planning on trying to catch some waves at Va beach being that its not very far, I'll just have to get used to the water temp change. Looking forward to moving to the area, Thanks!