Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Im thinking about taking the boat down south for spring break (march 17-21). We'd like to find some warmer water somewhere in Texas. Anybody have some advice on what lakes would be good? We will probably be camping so if you have any information on an area to camp, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-05-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Lake Amistad.....camp at choke canyon or on one of the islands.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I will second lake amistad it is sick.. make sure you check out the devils river, rough canyon is the spot to launch there and the river will be everything you could ask for but rough.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
That sounds pretty sick, what part of Texas is that in? Should the water/air temp be good around that time of year?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-05-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
long haul from Edmond, down by San Antonio. have you guys done Broken Bow? Still in OK, but sounds pretty sick. I'm thinking about it for a dive/wake trip this summer.

Also looking at Arkansas lakes
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-05-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
ive seen pics of amistad and its unreal, like the lake powell of texas with big cliffs and all, not to mention the fishing is amazing!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-05-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Possum Kingdom is a lot closer. TBKS shot a lot of stuff out there when they were kickin good.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Lake Amistad is actually about 2 to 3 hours from San Antonio. It is right near del rio. It is in the middle of no where pretty much and very very few people live there so the lake is unpopulated. You will love it if you do make the treck. The air temps will most likely be in the high 80's or better. The water I can't say for sure but it should be warmer in the river than the main part of the lake cause the lake is huge. Also last time that I went out there the lake was 30 feet down and the river was super long, I can only imagine how long it is now.
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-05-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
from okc it is about a 13-14 hr trip. right on the border if you wanna check out Acuna...
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
Nacho, weve never been to broken bow, we mainly stay at Tenkiller where my family has a cabin and a dock. We occationally go to Eufala or Grand, but thats about it. 13-14 hours might be a bit far for us pullin a boat but i'll see what my buddies say. Thanks for all the input
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
I was stationed at Laughlin afb in Del Rio Tx (Lake Amistad.)

From San Antonio, take Hwy 90w to Del Rio (145 miles). Take a right onto Veterans BLVD (Hwy 90/277) and go North for about 8 miles. Hwy 90 and 277 split, 90 going to El Paso and 277 N going to San Angelo. Take a right on hwy 277 N go 28 miles looking for Park Road 2. Take left onto Park Road 2 and in 9 miles it dead ends into Lake Amistad (actually the Devils river.) You will go North on the river for about 8 miles (guessing) before the water turns from normal brown to 15ft + visibilty known as Satan's bend.

I have lots of pics that I will upload, I'm at work now so dont know if I have any saved.

But really I think a better choice would be "the secret spot" at the Indian Lodge and Cresson (west of Waco) or where I live now, Trinity River that flows into Lake Livingston near Huntsville Tx.

BTW, these are OOOLLLLDDD pics, so no making fun of me/the boat or my skills!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/bkey79/lake%20pics/f167.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/bkey79/lake%20pics/a581.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/bkey79/lake%20pics/1588.jpg

I have better pics at home I'll post later.

(Message edited by Souperfly on February 06, 2008)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-06-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Amistad looks great. It really does. just too damn far for me.

couple web shots of BB, fresh off the interweb:
Upload
Upload
Upload
miles of butter. awesome visibility. i'm sold. if you guys put a trip together, let me know. May be down to meet you there.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
Ok, more recent pics. look how clear the water is! These pictures HAVE NOT been modified in any way.

Upload
Upload
Upload

I still think the best spots are "The Secret Spot" at the Indian Lodge in Cresson or Trinity River upstream from Lake Livingston north of Huntsville.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-06-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Brandon, I think your right, Amistad sounds really good, but I think a 14 hour drive with a boat and no diesel to pull it with is a little bit far. Livingston sounds like a good compromise, do you have any idea what the water temp is around the end of march? Are those pictures you took from Livingston? that area looks sweet.

Nacho, if we cant come up with a good place in texas, BB sounds like a good choice if we stay in Oklahoma. Its looking like were going to be out sometime between march 17-21, so if we come up with a solid plan I'll let you know.
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
Well Cresson would be a lot closer for you. Here's some pics I pulled from Indian Lodge's website. Water temps are pretty warm due to a powerplant about 10 miles upstream. In June it was 92. I've never sweated while being submerged before..

Upload
Upload
Upload

You tube vid of the secret spot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TwhUPkaZ1g

I dont have any of Trinity, but its about 70 miles north of Houston. You can try out www.gcwa.com which is our local wakeboard community, maybe someone can get some pics up.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-07-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Here are some photos of the Trinity from the area near Riverside TX.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-07-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys. As of now trinity is looking to be our best bet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-07-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Flack, the river looks nice. google maps has Riverside, Tx down by the Mex border. Aren't you riding close to Dallas?
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-07-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yea the same thing happened to me. It says riverside is right on the border
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-07-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Nacho and Brett - Riverside is on Highway 19 just NE of Huntsville and I-45. Try Yahoo Maps, and look up the Trinity just north of Lake Livingston.

We try to get around to several weekend trips in TX, and find new places to ride. The above photos are from the Texas Tige' reunion in '06. That dealer put on a great weekend, and invited us down from Dallas. Great Customer care, and very friendly. I would recommend them to anyone in Houston looking to buy a boat.

When looking for a place to go in the Trinity - Here is a decent place to stay http://www.bethycreek.com/
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-07-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
LAKE TRAVIS!!! perdanales portion super cheap camping at palrface ranch.. around $5 a vehice... cant beat it
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-07-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Perdanales
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Pedernales

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 6:25 AM Reply   
here are some pics from trinity.. its where i grew up! you can ride for 4 hours going north (or until your gas take shows 1/2, turn around and ride 4 hours south... tall trees and VERY FEW bulk heads... great water
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Where is that launch at? What is it called? I would love to take a trip out there to go ride some time this summer. I am not that far being here in San Antonio. Thanks for the info and the pics that make us all shed a little tear.
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
those pics are from Bethy creek resort. they have plenty of camp grounds and even some hotel/cabins... the guy who runs it is a rider and is a really good guy. id suggest to try and go either the weekends 4/19&20 or 9/20&21. those are the dates of TX round-up and then fall bash.
GOOD TIMES win some good swag and usually some good live music too...
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
Thank you
Old     (texasissippi)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-08-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
you are MORE than welcome. ill hopefully be out there for at least one of those weekends. but ill def be there a few times between (all the way from mississippi) hit me up if you ever go and need someone to show you around.