Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-11-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
Has anyone ridden one? I would like to know how the wake compares with that of a malibu VLX and super air nautique.
Old    jetpilotrider03            05-11-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
i think the wake is sick, it's nice steep and hard
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-13-2004, 2:51 PM Reply   
there is a discussion thread over on Soulriders.com on this.... I believe it's under the wakeboarding section...if not check the boat section....
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-13-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
I've ridden in the boat, but never behind it. It looked pretty nice to me.

However, I saw a couple of guys riding behind one at Bullards Bar and they were throwing some really sick stuff off of it.

In the past, Centurion has had a reputation as not the most reliable / quality, but I don't know about recently.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-13-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
I have a avalanche and the wake is great for me. All of my friends love it. If you add some extra weight it gets even better.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
Sounds good, I just want a pro wake without having to add 2000lbs plus the stock ballast. I am going to look into one this summer
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-16-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
to get a pro wake, you will need atleast 2000 lbs in pretty much any boat, whether it is an avalanche, vlx or super air.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-16-2004, 5:59 PM Reply   
I suppose you are right. I guess I will just buy a cheaper boat like supra, mobius, or centurion and continue using extra fat sacs. Im riding on a super air nautique tomorrow with the pros, so I will get a tast of a big wake.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-20-2004, 11:08 PM Reply   
One of the big reasons that Papa Crowe bought his Avalanche was to have a good wake unballasted and with factory ballast. Factory ballast in his case is a single belly tank that you can't see and it doesn't make a huge difference IMO. The good news is that like the SAN, the wake is reasonable without ballast. Haven't put sacs in it yet cuz we all stink and Papa Crowe says NO SACS.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-21-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
Next-door neighbor has an Avalanche. The wake is good, just be sure you like a RAMPY wake. This wake on this boat doesn't really do it for me... it is about as rampy as they get. I wouldn't classify the wake as "steep" or "hard", as it was described earlier. But then again, you can't have steep or hard with that much "V" in the hull.

The good thing about rampy wakes is you can build them bigger before they break to whitewater. The bad thing (in my opinion), is that they don't have the same kick off the top as a steeper wake would.

It is a good boat, and the quality is actually pretty good -- much better than the Centurions of five years back. What impresses me more than anything about the Avalanche is its ability to handle rough water. We can charge through 2' Lake Washington chop at full speed...if we wanted to.
Old     (bjgreenewb)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-21-2004, 10:36 AM Reply   
Leo,

I ride behind an 02 Wakesetter VLX and an 04 Supra GG edition SSV with stock ballast on both. The wake produced by both of these boats with stock ballast full and no additional weight gives a wake that you can do all of the pro tricks off of with a lot of hang-time.

I assume that the SAN and Mastercraft with stock ballast full will have a wake that you can pull advanced tricks off of as well. So it boils down to budget and wake shape preference.

I prefer the SSV wake with stock ballast full and wake plate all the way up at 70' out going 24 mph. I also like the VLX at 70' out with the wedge down going 24mph also. It is easier to jump the SSV wake because of it's peaky shape. The VLX requires better rider technique to do wake 2 wake tricks.

Good luck with your decision and ride behind as many types of inboards as possible.

Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2004, 6:47 AM Reply   
The center tank in a Centurion will not usually increase the size of the wake but will firm it up IMO. The center tank is small but there is a difference with it full vs. empty. I have a Hurricane & if I fill the center ballast everyone behind the boat can tel the difference, the wake certainly feels different to us.