Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-22-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
what do you think? does a 1992 ski ray compare to a 1992 mastercraft?
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
Joshua,

My first answer is no but you really didn't give much information. Is the Ski Ray an I/O, Outboard, Inboard? I used to ski behind an older outboard and recently upgraded to a Inboard. It's a night and day difference. A guy on our lake has an older Mastercraft Pro Star 190 and it's still cruising strong. How do the two stack up on price, shape, and hours?
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-23-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
sorry the ski ray is set up like the prostar the motor is in the middle with a pylon just in front of the motor. the motor is a 5.7 liter chevy 350. the boat has a closed bow. the ski ray was about $2500 dollars less than the prostar. the hours were about 500 on each boat. the prostar is 4 years older than the ski ray which is a 1992.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
There is no comparison. The dollar value tells the whole story.
Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-08-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
You can't compare the two, they aren't even in the same ballpark.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-10-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
Are you really asking this question?
I've had mine going on 7 years! Incredibly reliable, great skiing, great running boat (if you get one that has been taken care of!)
Upload
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
well i went with the ski ray. ill post some pics soon.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
It's not like Sea Ray doesn't build up to the MasterCraft par. Please, they wouldn't be getting $1mil plus for Sundancers if they didn't know how to build a boat. Do you really think there is that much difference between an '88 ProStar and a '92 SkiRay?? 92 to 92 yes, like he originally said, but a couple posts down he said the SkiRay is 4 years newer. We had a '92 Malibu, which cost a lot less than a '92 ProStar when they were new, and I have skied both hulls, not much difference, and I can't argue the Malibu quality, as the boat was flawless for 10 years and 1400 hours, my parents sold it for $3500 less than they originally paid in '92.

Congreats on the new boat Joshua, I hope you will be half as proud of it as Beach is of his ProStar!
Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-13-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
Congrats on your new boat! I hope it works well for you.

Nick, your piece about the Sundancers and same build quality as the little Sea Rays. You think the same engineers and crew work on a million dollar boat as a low dollar boat? I think not. Thats like saying the same engineers and crews build Mercedes on the same line as the Dodge product. It just doesn't happen.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2006, 12:28 AM Reply   
I would assume that the boats are made in the same plant. Don't compare the automotive industry to the marine industry, it is a total different scale. You are comparing apples to oranges. Quality is quality. I can't get over all the MC love on this site. Am I the only one that was around for the glory years from about '98 to '01. MC was kicking out some good stuff back then!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-14-2006, 12:29 AM Reply   
Oh, and I thought I'd add, I'm not an MC hater, the X2 is actually a boat I would consider buying in the near future, but I don't think they are head and shoulders above other builders.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-02-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
'98 to '01, the glory days? Back then? Jesus I am getting old.