Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
I have the Clarion XN3410 amplifier on my boat and I have two Rockford Fosgate M282 speakers. I am wondering how I should have them wired.

These are the specs on the amplifier:

165 Watts X 4 Continuous @ 2-Ohms
90 Watts X 4 Continuous @ 4-Ohms

Currently I have them wired like the diagram on the left. I am wondering if it would increase the power output if they were wired like the diagram on the right. If you had these speakers and this amp what would you do?

Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       06-25-2012, 9:44 PM Reply   
Use the diagram on the left. The one on the right shows a 2ohm load in bridged mode which would put more power to the speakers but that amp is not designed for that setup and would be going into protection mode. The speakers are rated 100 Watts each so 90 each should do.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-26-2012, 6:38 AM Reply   
2nd that. If you put the speakers in a parallel configuration, like your drawing on the right, those 4 ohm speakers will present a 2 ohm load to the amp. Now, since you would be bridging the amp, that 2 ohms will be divided between the two channels. So, each channel will only see 1 ohm. And your amp can't handle that.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-26-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
I would agree bridging is not a good idea in your application. If you had more speakers you could run them in parallel per channel to give a nominal 2 ohm load to the amp, but the downfall is possibly higher harmonic distortion and the overall SPL will probably be about the same as if you ran 4 speakers to each of the 4 channels. Now, if you had a high-power driver (dual voice coil sub) then a bridge makes perfect sense.
Old     (patrickg)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-26-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I was just trying to think of a way to squeeze the last 10 watts out of the speakers.