Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
Duane is the man first off. He drove all the way down to Atwater to install my Tyrants on the new Tomcat. But, while he was down there, he decided to throw the new Deviants on the cat to see how they looked.

Needless to say, I am doing everything in my power to sell my Tyrants to get these Deviants. If you want a great deal on some Tyrants, please PM me!

Check out that hang height!

These new Deviants should go on sale in April so hit up Duane at www.nvs1.net or contact me through Onlyinboards.com and we'll get you set up with a pair!

Also, if you want full sized pics, PM or email me at ian at onlyinboards dot com.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Wow thoes look GREAT IMO 100 time's better than the orignal NVS. No more 18 wheeler hub caps for speaker can's. Nice job Duane.

Question: were you able to drop any weight with the new fiberglass enclosure?
what did the orignal can's in that set up weigh?
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-18-2008, 12:17 PM Reply   
Man those look awesome! The hang height thing is spectacular. The fact that the enclosure is molded almost around the bar is an ingenious idea. I would expect that to get copied in the future. I have to say though I am not a big fan of the grills covers. Since I first saw them they looked a little cheesy to me.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
I think you can get the polk looking ones still for 12 bucks each if you want. But I agree, they look sweet. It was very cruel of Duane to put these on my boat and send me pics. Now I must have them!
Old     (prostartjh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-18-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Are they only available in the 2-tone color scheme? I really like the look. How do they sound compared to the Tyrants?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Tom, the ones in pic 1 and 2 are all white. Two tone is available but standard will be black. Custom colors will be available in one or two tone with the carbon fiber two tone another option as well.

From what Duane told me, they are very similar to the current Tyrants.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Ian, thanks for the opportunity to check out your new boat. It is awsome...the wake was incredible too. Sorry for burning up most of what would of been free gas...j/k.
Grant, thanks for your approval. I had you in mind when putting together the 1/2 Carbon option.
As far as the other q's:
Std weight: 22 lbs. (yes that's about 2 lbs less then the Tyrant)
Std color: Black
Optional colors: yes
Optional Two tone, i.e. top vs bottom: yes
Optional Carbon bottoms: yes
Optional Grills: yes
Optional Grill color: yes
Optional Quick release: (adds .7" to std hang height of 8.7") yes.
Optional drivers: yes. A Signature Reference Model will be available using some high end European drivers.
Sound quality:
The current version of Tyrants have evolved to a very good sound that is actually the warmest of the NVS offering. The Deviants were designed to take better advantage of the driver characteristics that we will be using by better matching the enclosure volume. This maintains if not improves further the warmth but also extends the frequency range.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
Because of the way the enclosure is recessed up around the tower, even the 10" systems hang down something short of 8 inches (I think)

Lighter and more clearance.

I still like the 18 wheeler hub caps. Maybe it's just my WT roots!
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
I saw these at the Sacramento Boat Show and was very impressed. Keep up the good work Duane!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-18-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
jrod, no spinners?

those looks sweet! I remember how the tyrants mount. just seems like there's more room with the deviants up there instead. Nice cans!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-18-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
i'm with j rod on this one. i may go with the new ones only if Duane has a buy back program for loyal nvs customers.
Old    Ben Kerran            03-18-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, those look Sic. Definitely look like they blend in with the tower. Very nice Duane
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
BTW Tim @ Wetsound's is sewing you for copying the
Pro 485
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Isn't Duane the pioneer of HLCD tower speakers? How can you accuse him of copying anyone?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-18-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Nick: Nice try! Nick why don't you start a thread called "Who is the Pioneer of the HCLD tower speaker" & Watch the sparks fly.

"MY JOKE" was directed at how the Fiberglass enclouser looks like a Wetsounds Pro 485 nothing more. Truth be told they all look the same starting back with the HCLD N-Vert. Then remember the Fishnoize fiberglass speakers and then the Wetsounds, They all look some what the same the design dictates it.
Duanes new speakers look great. Back to the subject at hand
Old    Ben Kerran            03-18-2008, 3:36 PM Reply   
Let's stay on track people. Anyway's, Tim doesn't sew, he makes tower speakers....

Sorry G, couldn't resist
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-18-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I had no intentions of causing any conflict. I guess I could have worded my post a little softer. Nevertheless, the Deviants look, and probably sound, great.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
hahah....if that's the case, how many people is Duane suing?

"Isn't Duane the pioneer of HLCD tower speakers"

In our market, absolutely.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
The Deviants look really nice. I like all of the NVS product and would really love to hear them. I would probably choose the Polk grills though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-18-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
With regards to the enclosure design those are very impressive, not only are they good looking but the functionality of them creating more head room is brilliant as well. If they sound good which I assume they do based on NVS' reputation then I think they'll be a winner. Now find a way to make them a little cheaper!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
Spinners would be cool.

I am a redneck at heart and still like chrome.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-18-2008, 8:33 PM Reply   
Maybe we could get a #3 Dale Sr. logo on there for you John. :-)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-19-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
It's cool to see NVS offered in a fiberglass enclosure for those who like the look. I've always preferred cans over the fiberglass enclosures so I'll be sticking with my "Trucker Hub Caps".
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-19-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Grant, ts funny you say Fishnoyz... doug is working on his crossovers and drivers to smooth out the horns.. i have a set of his modfied fishnoyz enclosure on my boat. i have had wetsounds, and bullet hollow points on my boat and i love the way my "personalized" fishnoyz sound.. i just went with a better driver and modified the crossover network.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-19-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Ian...I don't really care for nascar, but if it isn't fast then chrome it...that is what I was always told. I guess today they would say if it isn't fast then carbon fiber it.
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-19-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Duane- any Illusion X mounts for those yet???
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-19-2008, 9:54 PM Reply   
Festivus,
You can of course mount them on the round crossing tube now, either as shown or upside down (upside down is what I'd do after a small mod to the bimini). We are looking at the side mount and should have that finalized next week.
Duane
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-20-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
Nice job Duane....They look sweet!
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-20-2008, 7:44 AM Reply   
Grant I would raher have 6 white freightliner hub caps over a fiberglass 1958 ford truck grill knock off on my tower . Joe
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-20-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
Wow Spread Eagle sighting! 10-4 good buddy
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-20-2008, 11:35 PM Reply   
Joe,

I think three deviants custom flamed would look great on your tower.

Saw them in person when I ran into Todd at the boat show. They are a nice addition to the NVS line, contratulations.

Mike
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-21-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
hey mikeski. i think joe rather just buy a new boat and do a new system rather then go to the trouble of un bolting the old nvs to replace new ones.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
I am out, that's between you and Joe.