Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (joe_esq)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hi All,

Believe it or not, I have been perusing WW for probably 4-5 years now (yes, I know about Umali's "timely" posts, Walt's great pics, etc.), but this is the first time I have registered and ever posted something. I've always found answers to what I need in the "search" forum, so have just never posted anything. So, I'm not really a "newbie" since I know to follow the rules (and to not dare touch the topic of, "Which is better (insert boat names here)".

The reason I am writing is that I am taking a vacation to Austin from May 3-9 and was looking for some advice. I currently live in NorCal and may relocate if I love Austin. I'm looking around both Lake Austin and Travis and know the basics of both.

Would anyone mind showing me around during this time period on either or both of the lakes? A pull wouldn't be too bad either and I am posting this in the "Find a Pull" section too. The weekend (May 6-7) would probably be the best, but I know the water wouldn't be as good. That's OK. I am just looking to get acquainted with the lakes there since, if I move, I will move to a community with lake access. I am more interested in getting out and seeing the lakes, the good/bad spots, etc.

Big caveat here. My wife and 2 kids (ages 3 and 2) are coming along and we would all be interested in going out. I have a boat and my kids have been out countless times, so they aren't a problem at all, but if you don't want to be involved in that, I more than understand. My wife rides too and is intermediate (180 W2W, etc.) and is a better wakeskater than me (and is quick to point that out to everyone we go out with). We won't have any gear with us, so if you have a boat board, I'd be happy using that.

We are a young, professional couple in our late 20's that are looking to possibly cash out of California and Austin is the place that is so far #1 on our list.

I am more than willing to pitch in for gas, beer, food, help clean, drive, etc., so that isn't an issue. Just looking for some nice people to show us around Austin for a couple of hours.

Please let me know if you are willing or if you have any advice about Austin areas/homes/etc., my ears are open. Thanks in advance.

-Joe
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-24-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
post here also

http://360wakeboard.com/

I want to do the same thing.

Check out Lakeway and Lago Vista, I think you can be on the water or real close for $400K.

Visit TSR for the Cablestock

And Schlitterbahn for the kids.

and eat BBQ

(Message edited by slipknot on April 24, 2006)
Old     (board2death)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Good luck Joe
Very well written and respectful post- welcome to WW!

Cmon Texas- who's gonna show Joe around???
Old     (joe_esq)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Thanks, I did post on 360 already...it just took some time to upload since it was my first post. Lakeway and Westlake are the areas that I have been looking into and I've heard alot about Lago Vista too. Need the good school districts.

Hopefully I can make it out to TSR, but I'll probably be looking at homes/neighborhoods most of the time...and eating plenty o' BBQ.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-24-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
you'll luv Austin. I'm over there most holiday weekends. Good luck on your search. I'd help you out but I'm a few hours east in houston.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-24-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
If I'm not working that weekend, I'll hook you up with a pull. We mostly go out on Lake Austin. It more of a river than a lake. Lake Travis is much larger and full of the big power boats running 60+MPH. Travis is not the best for wakeboarding unless you find an empy cove or something. There's a few good areas, but most boarders stick with Lake Austin. Lago Vista is a very nice area, but a long drive into town everyday. Hit me up and I should be able to take you out on the lake. You'll love Austin, everyone does.
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-24-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
Hi Joe,

My wife and I moved out here from Sacramento last August, and I have to say that it was the best decision that we have ever made. We love it here. The people are great, the lakes are great and the house prices compared to Sac are unbelievable.
I think that you will be very happy here. In some ways it reminds me of Sacramento because it has that small town feel to it, but is big enough that you don't need to venture out to another city to find something to do.

I think that we will be in town on the dates that you will be here. If you would like to meet up, we would be happy to give you and your family a pull or show you around town.

Devin