Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    kimbo            03-18-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
Hey everyone. I just registered this morning because I figured this place would be a great way to get some reasonable feedback. I am currently in the process of creating a fictitious wakeboarding company for my final senior BFA show here at Minnesota State University Moorhead. This project includes a company name, logo, board design, graphic applications, clothing/apparel design, and any other various product design. If any of you have some ideas for me PLEASE let me know...ANY help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated (on company name ideas or whatever), I just want to get some ideas flowing. I have been interested in the sport for a couple years now but only recently have I began to really get into it...keep in mind, we only have about a good three months to ride here! I'm really looking forward to doing this project and I want it to be as realistic as possible...most importantly...my company will be specifically designed for women riders, like Roxy is for surfing, my company will be for wakeboarding...so if there are any chicas (guys too) out there who have any ideas, please inform me and I'll take them into consideration. Thanks guys!
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
What?? I can't believe that no one has anything to offer this young lady!

My only input is that I would definitly have a board called "Destiny" ( my daughters name is Destiny). The grafics would be dark and mystic because she likes stuff like that. Oh! I know, she's totally into Michael York's Fathom! Fathom is full of beautiful water characters that would work so well on a board. Girls AND Guys for that matter would totally love it!
Good luck!!
Old     (tiger20)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
What type of info are you looking for? If you want to know about the marketing I woud contact Don Wallace, (Liquid Force West Coast rep)

If you are looking for designs, just look at catalogs and make similar stuff. Contact the up and coming board companies for some info.
Old    lachlantait            03-23-2004, 2:09 AM Reply   
My wake company if i had one would be called 'BatWing Aperal'
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-23-2004, 3:20 AM Reply   
Well you could take a look at some of the female snowboard companies (Eg. venussnowboards.com girlboards.com)
Please don't use the word extreme.
Well you found your market: Women.
As far as board designs: I would offer something of a forgiving nature, but still high performance (Eg. HL Premier, LF Litmus, Jobe Lyman, DU Summit). Simple clean designs, that work well.
As far as brand name: Something that may suggest Feminine, but not super girl (avoid "flower power" ). Same with the logo, something cool but not overly girly. (Roxy is a great example of this, feminine, but not overly girly).
Graphics, well I'm not a girl (But I could fool anyone, when in a dress ) but I've seen some snowboard graphics are just horrible, all hearts and fairy's stuff. Just plain tacky, obviously designed by a guy. Some board graphics that have been popular, are the blindside flower 5-0. Graphics are very important, you gotta make a good first impression. Most girls are only just getting into wakeboarding, so aren't quite into all the details of it, so if you have a board that attracts the eye, you'll sell much more. (for example the Michael York idea from Paula) But I'm not saying ignore the board design, because at the base of it, thats what counts.
As far a clothes, well you know what you like, start there.
And yes, Name a board Destiny, the name alone conjures up an atmosphere in the brain. And find some other names like that, that creates an atmosphere, they're easier to remember.

Girls are much harder to design for. Guys are simple, have a board with a big 3-stage rocker, slap a pro's name on it, with the graphics of a hot chick, instant success

(Message edited by kristian on March 23, 2004)
Old    sk8joe01            03-23-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
yeah, stay away from all pastel and pink designs. i'm not saying that some pink or purple is bad at all, but it must be used correctly. take a look at hyperlite premier 136 DNA, that is awsome.
if you need some inspiration just head over sikkosports.com, it's bassicaly a website where anybody can design snowbaord graphics and send em in so you should get kindof a feel of what some people are looking for, in snowbaording anyway.
Old    kimbo            03-23-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Thanks everyone! Keep up the good feedback...this is some great stuff! And don't get me wrong...just because this company will be women-specific, it will not be too girly...I'm all about the hardcore graphics and some of the graphics that are on existing boards are horrible (especially from a designer's point of view!) Once again, great suggestions...this will really help me out
Old    lf4life            04-09-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
Bump
Old    lachlantait            04-10-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
jobe 132 insight is a pretty good looking chicks board
Old    kimbo            04-11-2004, 5:43 PM Reply   
bump
Old    cmm83            04-11-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
I don't know if this will be any help and it might be kind of vague...but try to do something different than every other brand. Obviously you are doing the girl thing which is cool, but even so...if all your boards and apparel etc. have the same feel as every other brand it kinda makes you just another face in the crowd.
Be a trend setter, haha.... good or bad try to have one thing that makes ppl say "dman look at 'insert company name here'".

But I'm working on my BS in mech engineering and not business so don't listen to me :-)

-Chris

(Message edited by cmm83 on April 11, 2004)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-13-2004, 4:11 AM Reply   
Sorry I was thinking Michael Turner. Don't know Michael York. Ohwell.

Kim hows the project going?
Old    kimbo            04-13-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
I think I'm going with the name Destiny...everyone i've talked to seems to like it. Let me know what you guys think...i'll be working on designing a logo very soon.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-14-2004, 12:11 AM Reply   
Be sure to share the Logo with us!

Paula: looks like Destiny is having a pro-model, well an imaginary one, but one none the less, hehe.

Or is Destiny going to be the name of the company? "Destiny Boards" sounds cool to me.
Old    kimbo            04-14-2004, 6:25 AM Reply   
Paula: I forgot to say thank you for suggesting the name "Destiny"...I will be presenting the name today in my design class to see what people think
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-16-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
If you are specifically designing for women riders then...
It's gotta be all about the footwear!
Here are a few of my ideas

Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-16-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
Here are a couple more samples...

Good luck with your project !

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-16-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
MANGO WAKEBOARDS

MANGOLICIOUS PLATINUM 141 w/Citrus Bindings

We also carry the BANANA SQUEEZE 138 & THE BIG MELON 134
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-16-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Gregg: those are pretty funny, but remind me of the CD VSO1's.
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-16-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
Wow...who knew...i was just havin fun.

http://www.cdwake.com/
Old    kimbo            04-20-2004, 1:50 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (blackandblue)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-20-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
Hey Kim, why just "bump"? Ya coulda used a little more creativity than that...you coulda just commented on my images. Maybe I was the only one laughing at them.
Humph, I knew I should have gone with the very girly "life vests with built in breast implants" idea. I call it the "P.F. double D."
Wow, I wonder how the Coast Guard would go about approving those!
Old    kimbo            04-21-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Sorry Gregg...unfortunately I don't have much time to write...but I do appreciate your insight
I got a kick out of the pics but I'm looking for something a bit more serious...and just to let you know (and everyone else) I will be posting my logo ideas in the near future so keep and eye out for 'em! Thanks
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
No Problem Kim. Sounds like you are making good progress.:-)

Kristian, Michael York is one of your UK brothers! He is the actor that played an agent in Austin Powers. Remember when Austin punched that old lady because he thought she was a man? Yes? Well, that's not Michael York, but that WAS his mother. Thanks for the correction Kris. Ofcourse, Michael Turner is who I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Gregg, that's one sexy BAD ASS board!!HAHAHA those are great pictures!!:-)
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2004, 4:47 AM Reply   
Oh right, yes I know who he is, I had my head thinking artists. He's Basil.