Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (hdrew)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-14-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
Just curious for some feedback on different types of wakeboard boats and how the handle rough watee. I spend most of my time on lake Washington in Seattle, and it can get pretty nasty somedays.
Thanks, HD
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-14-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Deep hull, deep V entry point on the bow, dropped keel, ride adjustability = SUPRA
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-14-2005, 4:24 PM Reply   
The x-star is a very good rough water boat, even though the bow is low is handles and rides very good in rough water.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-14-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
malibu 25 is really good on the rough.
Old     (abundiga909)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-14-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
I've never driven it, but I hear the Nautique 226 handles great in rough water without sacrificing handleing performance.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-14-2005, 4:37 PM Reply   
These boat are very good in rough water.
Rough Water Boats
Old    hundo            03-14-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
Their wakes look like ripples , but you know there huge
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-14-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
Hank,

The best rough water boat I've ever ridden in was a Tige 22V. Tige makes big, heavy, deep hulled boats so they tend to ride really nice in the rough stuff.
Old    bambamski            03-14-2005, 9:16 PM Reply   
the Tiges are great in rough water, both the 22v and 24v. Also look at the Maristar series from MC. They're the same as the X-10,30, and have the deepest hull of all the inboard boats out there.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-15-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
SHIPS NOT BOATS!!!

Decend pic of half the Battle Group though....
Us Navy types know the difference!

(All in good humor!)
Old     (purplefan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-15-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
Not Ships...targets!

Us submariners (former anyway) know the difference!

BTW - Sangers are supposed to be ok in the rough stuff.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-15-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
Sangers are great in rough water. They handle like a dream. Defintely give it a test drive.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2005, 7:58 PM Reply   
Chuck,

There are a couple of Navy sub at work. You all seem to have a different view of the world. Best story that I heard from them was about an aircraft carrier.

While operating at night the officer in charge on the bridge sees a light in front of him, he gets on the marine radio and informs the light source “vessel off my bow, US Navy aircraft carrier, you must give way.” The reply over the radio “sorry cannot comply.” The officer a bit steamed gets back on the radio, “Vessel you don’t understand this US Navy Aircraft carrier, you must give way.” Again there’s a reply, “US Navy aircraft carrier, we can not comply, we are a light house, your call.”

Cheers
Old    moonunit            03-15-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
I like the Mastercraft x-30 with the front ballast filled...
Old    moonunit            03-15-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
oh yeah, and forget the tiges in rough water, they take water over the bow like a spoon...
Old    moonunit            03-15-2005, 10:02 PM Reply   
To post an annoying third time in a row...be weary, everyone is recommending the boats they own themselves, so they are biased by nature, not that each boat isnt great or they arent being honest, just that they are all love their boats and would obviously recommend them. I dont have a boat, so I am speaking from practical experience. I usually ride in a Calabria Pro-V, but it kinda sucks in rough water.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-15-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Edward, Now thats funny I don't care who you are!!
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-16-2005, 6:24 AM Reply   
The exchange between the aircraft carrier and the lighthouse is an urban legend. There was an exchange between a relatively junior USN Officer of the Day and a USCG Petty Officer in a lighthouse during WW I that was close to this, but not quite.

In answer to your question, the best rough water boat I have been in was the Gekko Revo 7.1. The X-Star would be a close second. Of course, the X-Star wake is much better, but so is the price. I have been in a few Centurions that did great on double ups, but the conditions were flat, so I don't know how they will do on chop sea conditions. The Tige's tended to bounce slowly unless you dropped the TAPS, then the ride got rougher. The Malibu's tended to wander in following seas.

Overall, a strong, deep keel line, some chine area, and a moderate to deep V gives the best ride in rough conditions. Good, experienced driving will also help. Aside from some military training (USCG being the best school for heavy weather driving), it is just developing the feel for it and knowing how to take each each swell you will encounter. For most boats, when you heel them over, the ride gets rougher due to more flat area. You want to take each wave upright and manuver in the troughs.

Good Luck
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-16-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
I bet the X-45 handles rough water very well. I checked one out on Saturday, and the thing was huge. It had more storage than I have ever seen in a wakeboard boat. Has anyone ridden in one?
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-16-2005, 9:20 AM Reply   
I own a Sanger V215 and we took it out on Clear Lake last summer. It was a windy day and the swells were rockin'. It was quite bouncy and a few times, we were sure the boat would break in half but it held up really well. Not that I want to take it out in that kind of rough water again (on purpose).

In general everyday chop, it handles very well. In fact when we were test driving it against the MB Sport B52, the Sanger passed the "boobie test" (ask your wives/girlfriends, they will understand) with flying colors.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-16-2005, 9:28 AM Reply   
I can tell you a 90 prostar DOESN'T handle rough water very well at all!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-16-2005, 12:43 PM Reply   
Yea, My X2 is not worth a crap in rough water, which is a shame because it is rough here all the time.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-16-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
I love my SSV, but if you have to deal with very serious chop, I wouldn't recommend one of those either.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
paul its the one time the bow rise in the X2 comes in really handy if you stay around 10-12mph hour and take the chop straight on your sweet and everyone stays dry. But wouldn't be recommending an X2 here though
Old    zboomer            03-16-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Stanfield, have you ridden in many other wakeboard boats? Actually an SSV fares damn well compared to most in rough water. It's in another world compared to an X2.

Not sure what you guys consider "serious chop" but if you deal with that a lot, get an i/o.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-16-2005, 6:26 PM Reply   
i own a Malibu, which isn't too bad, but gotta agree with Cliff - big Tigés are the smoothest boats i've been in in choppy conditions. the problems with taking water over the bow are mostly with pre-'03 models; that's much improved with the new hulls. even the older ones ride smooth if you keep the bow up.

most Malibus & Supras also ride well in chop, and in general trim tabs also help.

gotta agree with the crowd re X2 as well. Karl must be referring to the '03+ Xstars?

Boomer is right, though, if you're gonna regularly see >2' chop, get a big I/O.
Old     (goodtime)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-16-2005, 11:04 PM Reply   
SANGER V230 HANDS DOWN, Lake Havasu Memorial Weekend, that beast mobbed with the best of them.

if your looking for better, X80 twin screw or an IO setup, ive seen a few Hallett 260ACs with towers etc. Wake sucks, but boat hauls ass.

best of luck, Vdrives= no fun in rough
Old    zboomer            03-17-2005, 7:09 AM Reply   
I'd agree with Todd, in the rough, bigger generally = better, and you want a boat with the deepest V possible.

I.e. Sanger 230, big Tige, Malibu 23' or even 25', Supra 24SSV, yada yada.

Boats with trim plates make a big difference in the rough. On my '04 SSV I could put the plate all the way down, burry the nose, and plow through some pretty rough water. With the plate up it was much worse, because the waves hit the back part of the boat that's flatter.
Old    bambamski            03-17-2005, 7:58 AM Reply   
Boomer I was in a 22SSv last summer on our little 4 mile long lake. A decent wind picked up and it was horrible in the chop. My old X-10 was night and day, they ended up following me into the launch area.

For the person who said the Tiges took water over the bow like a spoon? Maybe a 90's dd tige, but not the newer 22 and 24 footers.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-17-2005, 8:22 AM Reply   
Cbrown,
WTF are you talking about? I didn't ask for advice on how to drive a boat. I have been doing it for a long time. Maybe we are talking about different kinds of chop. Living here, with the wind the way it is, I would be lucky to get up to 10-12mph on a ruff day. It still beats the crap out of you with the bow up.

(Message edited by psudy on March 17, 2005)
Old    zboomer            03-17-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
Pat, your definition of horrible must be different than mine, heh. Did it have a wakeplate? You really have to burry the nose, where it has the deepest V.

I used to have a Prostar 205, same basic hull as many MC's still use (like the X2), and THAT was horrible in the chop. If the chop started up at all, you'd have to drive under 10 mph or less in that thing or it literally HURT your body. You need some perspective, lol.

My SSV rode like a cadillac in the rough compared to the 205.

I don't doubt an X-10 would be better though, it's a deeper V-hull, derived from the Maristar.

(Message edited by zboomer on March 17, 2005)