Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-19-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Hey guys, thanks in advance for any suggestions you offer.

I've been wakeboarding about 2 years now, but I still don't get to go out but maybe 10 days a summer, and I'm forced to share pull time with about 6 other guys when I do go.

I've gotten very comfortable riding, I never just fall due to beginner mistakes anymore. I can do some surface spins, but haven't gotten entirely comfortable at riding switch yet. My main problem is that I feel I'm kind of on a plateau as far as air time goes. I ride at about 20mph and I shortened my rope to about 60' to get in the best part of my boat's wake. My boat is not even close to ideal for a wakeboarding machine. It is a 1977 Cobalt tri-hull I/O. I mess with the trim and actually get it to throw a pretty nice wake though. I can jump and land, but very rarely can I go W2W. I feel like I am cutting pretty dang hard towards the wake, and then I kinda hop at the end to ramp up. I've tried to simply stand up straight and tall right before I hit the wake, but it just doesn't feel right, and still, I might just get about 4' of air on most jumps.

One thing I have noticed is that when I veer out, and begin my cut in to the wake, it seems like I really have to wait on the boat to start pulling me towards the wake. I'm a big guy at 6'3", 225. Do you think that when I cut, I am slowing the boat down and not really getting the tension I need in the line?

I know a tower would probably help out, but I think I will just save my money to buy a better v-drive when I get down with school.

Have any of ya'll had problems like that? Any magic thing you can do to correct it?? Thanks a lot guys.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-19-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
a big part of clearing the wake is holding your edge through the wake, you cant release too early to pop. also the boat will pull you into the wake if u progressive edge, i have an I/O too and i can still edge slowly into the wake. also try keeping the handle low and by your waist.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-19-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
.....try riding and jumping at 22mph.....then get back to us.....it def. sounds like you are riding to slow. best would be gps 22 as you never know about speedos.
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       08-19-2007, 11:45 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try it at 22mph on my GPS, see if that helps. My buddies that go with me aren't the best boat drivers in the world, so it's always an adventure!