Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2008

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
forgive me if this has been posted already. (a REAL quick search did not show me that it had)

http://companywake.com/yo/
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-22-2008, 11:03 PM Reply   
here is a picture that i modified the colors and contrast to get a better view of the laces and such.Upload

"looks" (from this limited, dark photo) to be quite similar to Slingshot boots. The base looks 100% identical. the lacing style looks very similar from what i can tell. The biggest difference looks to be that piece that hides (maybe it serves another purpose than looks?) the lower laces over the toes and foot.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-22-2008, 11:08 PM Reply   
imma definately be going with company over slingshot even if it looks alike from what i heard slingshot is company
not the other way around where company is slingshot
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   

quote:

"looks" (from this limited, dark photo) to be quite similar to Slingshot boots.

gawd i hope not!
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-23-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
Why the hate for Slingshot boots? I've used many different boots over the years and my PB Floyds are far and away the best that I've ever used.

The Company baseplate does look exactly like a Slingshot. From what I've heard Company products are being made in the Slingshot factory but that may or may not be true. Who cares anyway. Both companies are offering something different which can only be good for the sport IMHO.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-23-2008, 6:53 AM Reply   
slingshot boots are more like slingsh*t
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
How could slingshot possibly be imitating company. Slingshot has been producing wakeboard gear for 3 years now, and company is in it's first year of production. Kyle m, your comment doesn't really make sense. Also, I don't understand why there is so much hype for company gear. Yes I get it the Randal Harris and Tino are riding company. But other than the big names, what really makes company so special? To me it's just another flex board imitating the slingshot line up.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
the comment was toward slingshots technology this year from what i have heard was companys ideas since they are made in the same factory slingshot used the same ideas therefore having sumwhat of the same tech kinda lame to do in my opinion but w/e thas why i said that
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
Slingshot rules, Company will most likely be great.....flex boards are awesome and what wakeboarding will be going to in a few years.... nothing bad about having choices
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2008, 9:38 AM Reply   
i feel you on that one nick comany will be sick just as much as slingshot is im definately working on gettting the dough to buy a flexy board this year lol
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
it would be nice if they ditched the plastic baseplate w/ the little switch thing to duck your feet on the fly and used a metal plate or something that doesnt move. something like the LF baseplate.

i'm always fearful that i'm gonna break that plastic on a good hard fall and the adjustability is cool but who really changes how much their feet are ducked on the fly?
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-23-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Company appears to be slingshot w an advanced marketing approach to me. Building up w a bunch of hype and adds w/ the vandall shirtless blazin his tats. Kind of silly. Think Byerly already did that a couple years ago. They need to just show their product and explain what makes it better or different than everyone elses.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
the boards look good Bizz...

Hijack - what about the tv show wipeout?
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on October 23, 2008)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
jr,
SS does have the "traditional" base plate that you can put on and CERTAINLY Co. will too. will they be the same too, who knows at this point.

--------------------------------------------------------------

as for "same factory" and jazz like that, i am sure there will still be differences. i think i remember seeing a pic of a factory making LF and obrien boards, and there is not a person who wont stop in a split second to point out differences.

I too noticed that SS looked like Co. (or vise versa) in surf expo pics, speaking of the more rounded rails. who initiated the idea (of the rail design) first is something i am sure only a select few people could confirm

I was almost thinking that Co. boots were gona be USA made too, but they are probably chinese made due to the very similar looks in boots. USA boards and China boots for both companies?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
And don't forget Humanoid-wake. are they in the same factory too??? same "sandwich" design but with bottom features is what we know so far of them. i know we know even less about them than Co. but they are still in the mix for now too.

I am thinking they are gona just POP UP soon. probably will wait till there is more of a line of product instead of throwing out multiple teases at every step of the way... but this is just a guess
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-23-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Am I going crazy?
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
The comment on how Slingshot is Company and not the other way around is the most ignorant thing I've heard on these forums.

Slingshot has been around for three years, and these have the same base plate as the 08 PB Floyds. So in saying that how the hell is Slingshot like Company and not the other way around? Slingshot has been around with kite boards and such for much longer.

Slingshot never planned on having a huge marketing approach. They are for the riders by the riders. They are a freeride grassroots company anyways.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   

quote:

Slingshot never planned on having a huge marketing approach. They are for the riders by the riders.

would those riders happen to be kiteboarders?

isn't company wake "for the riders by the riders" as well? if you disagree, tell me why.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
No, I agree Joe, it just came out wrong, and I'd guess they are for the kiteboarders with their kiteboards as well as for the wakeboarders with their wakeboards.

company's for the riders as well, it'd be stupid for a wakeboard company not to be, but I meant they are more focused on the grassroots free riding side of things and aren't getting involved in comps and huge events like brostock. It just wasn't their vision.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
so if they don't have a contest rider on their team, they're focused on free riding, whereas if a team has contest riders, they're not focused on free riding?

it's kinda lame to say that a company's focus is on free riding...it's every company's focus, believe it or not.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-23-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
oh boy....that was great reading.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
wow Joe, bringing the hate/brains to this argument. I had a rep tell me when they came out to demo their new stuff to us, that the company was built on a strictly freeriding foundation, and that the company wasn't about contest riding or crazy events and the like. I'm not trying to diss on anyone else, just saying what I heard from one of the reps.

And I don't wanna start an argument with you, Joe. I respect your work, your experience in the industry, and all you bring to this message board. I'd rather you make me go out looking like an idiot than be like everyone else and feel like I have to fight my way to win every arguement on here, it's not that big of a deal to me.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
there's no hate at all. i simply disagreed w/ your previous post.

back to the freeriding thing, you didn't honestly expect a rep to say, "we're built around contests," did you?
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-23-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
I know who designed the rail and who ripped it off...

But where would wake boarding be today with out copying?

Since wake boarding began, people have been ripping off innovation and trying to pass it off as their own.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-23-2008, 9:58 PM Reply   
Joe, I don't really understand your logic. Any wakeboard company has a choice as to who they "pick" to sponsor. By picking a primarily freeride or contest team it does send the message about where the company's priorities lie; at least in relation to their asset allocation correct? People seem to buy boards for many different reasons and I am sure one of them is who the board is endorsed by. So by picking riders to represent a board company, it does somewhat define what the company stands for, those riders are the ambassadors for that company.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-23-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
i'm not so sure they really had a choice as far as who they bring on to their team. most of today's top "contest" riders are pretty much locked in their contracts, are perfectly happy with their sponsors or are perfectly happy w/ a "traditional" wakeboard. (pure speculation, btw)

for argument's sake, let's say that they did sign a contest rider or a rider decided to do contests. does that mean they're no longer about freeriding?

again, i think it's ridiculous for any company to say "we're all about freeriding." tell me who isn't.

"by riders for riders." most of 'em run by the same philosophy. they design a board based on a rider's wishes. the rider tests is out and gives his/her feedback, then the designers re-cut the board and/or bindings.

(Message edited by dakid on October 23, 2008)
Old     (company)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-23-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
No comment ...
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-23-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
Why post then?
"Oh hi, we are watching"

Old     (company)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-23-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   

Please just know that we're grateful to have some of the most amazing people in the industry working with us on this, and that we've literally just scratched the surface on where we're headed with things.

At the end of the day we believe that if you make it about the people involved, the rest will come...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
forget the old women who lived in the shoe story... try the ol' (and some new) drama that lived in a boot thread.

going out on a limb though, i think that all josh was trying to say is that slingshot probably cares less about their sponsored riders podium ranks than other companies do. i could be wrong on the interpretation AND the idea of "care" that goes on behind the scenes.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-24-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
I believe that all the major "contest oriented" wakeboard companies sponsor videos each year that include pretty much nothing but free riding. I also think that having a sponsored rider make the podium is the best marketing strategy a company could have.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-24-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Company wake is way to cool to care about contests.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-24-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Locked into contracts....really? With all the crazy switches that have happened in the last few years if anything I would think just the opposite. Has anyone heard or seen any litigation related to a pro rider breaking contract?
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-24-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Haha everyone of these company threads is filled with drama who really cares about who rides for them or not? I'm more interested in seeing how the product performs
Old     (toddjones320)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-24-2008, 6:08 PM Reply   
no company has any chance of competing with slingshot, everything from their product to the riders. there is not a better team than jeff mckee, rob jaques, jeff house, rhett whatley, etc. slingshot is about one thing and one thing only. STYLE. and they have it pretty much covered, i don't know if yall have ever seen rob jaques ride but he is the most stylish rider ever.

Slingshot = Style
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-24-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
vandall = no style at all
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-24-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
thanks jeremy! You hit it on the head. They don't care to much about podium places at all! And joe, really? Pros locked into contracts? Randall? Tino? The talk of Watson switching? Money over everything. If they wanted to shell out the big bucks to get riders they would have!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
^^^your kidding right.

I have found my SS D2's to be very comfy.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-24-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
you're right. contracts don't mean squat.

fyi, contracts have expiration dates. it seemed like you didn't know, so i thought i'd help you out.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-24-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
Ewing

I think my D2 boots are extremely comfortable too. (i guess Co. thinks they are comfy too...) Not too many boots i'd be willing to keep my feet in for about 3 hours continuously! I had the boots on this long 'cause i was teaching about 8 girls how to wake board one day, one after the other. I like to be in the water with my "students" to help them manually (when necessary) , talk to them face to face any time i want, and to give them an example of how it is done. After teaching was done i did a quick run so they could see a flip (as desired) and such too. talk about an exasperatingly LOOONNNGGG set.

(and before anyone makes comments about "teaching 8 girls"... just know they were all early teens or younger, plus i am already married)

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 24, 2008)
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-24-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
I hope you grabbed that flip.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
nick you have got to be joking with that last comment randall has more style than you can imagine. that is why so many riders emulate his style from lyman to dean smith and the list goes on. wsr is all about style, poking everything out and holding a grab as long as possible and going as big as possible = style
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say going big is copying someone...

"so many riders emulate his style from lyman to dean smith"

Going big is going big, no one owns going big.
If Randall had a signature grab/trick/spin type and others do it okay, but cutting your ass off with a lengthy rope is just something people do.

Just because people spin off-axis doesn't mean the copy the first person to spin off-axis style.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
but if you have ever heard lyman talk about whose styles that have influenced him his first answer is randall. and i was talking to the other nick not you. and if you think all he does is cut his ass off with a longer rope then go out and try riding like him and see how hard it is. not necessarily going big but to have that much control is a lot harder than you think. even ben greenwood said in alliance wakeboard mag that if he tried to do some of the stuff that randall does, at the speed and length randall rides, that there is no way he could make it look that good. and ben greenwood has more style than anyone can imagine.
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
Apparently they need to hand out sarcasm detectors at the door these days.

Upload
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-24-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
yo josh when is your video gonna drop here in the states. the trailer looks sick cant wait to get it
Old     (board4ce07)      Join Date: May 2004       10-25-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
ha you think lyman rides like randall because he goes big? Lyman would be mad if he read that... your retarded
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-25-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Jeremy I was kidding I was just responding to Todd who said that Slingshot had the most stylish group of riders even though Randall is one of the most stylish and influential rider of all time.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-25-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
I would imagine you weren't talking to me since that was my first post on this thread....

sure he Randall has style, sure he has control but Dean Smith's style is nothing like it... I don't think I've ever seen Dean do a wrapped trick.... They both go big, I'll give you that

Its not comparing apples to oranges, but like red apples to green apples.

I would rather watch Dean ride over Randall, nothing against Randall but wrapped tricks do not appeal to me and Dean goes bigger.... don't want to start a war but watch Dean's set of the week....IT IS AMAZING
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-25-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
i agree to disagree.... the reason randall or anyone for that reason wraps their tricks is so you can grab your board for more than a nano second. you can tweak your spins.

there has been a debate about wrapped vs non.... but randall, the mckees, josh smith... and even kyle murphy have some of the best 3's and 5's and they dont look like a ballet star.

i am sure this will bring haters....whatever.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-25-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Kyle Murphy's look awesome, Randall, when he does a 3/5 look okay but wrapped 7's/9's just look outta control
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-25-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
i hear ya nick kondylas i was like what. but yea randall has a ton of style for sure. i am not gonna argue who goes bigger tomsyck but imo randall goes bigger more often dean still goes wake to wake at times but yea his style is sick. and randalls wrapped 3s 5s 7s or 9s are sick there are plenty of people who will disagree with you on that topic, mainly pros and pretty much everyone at alliance that has given him rider of the year now twice.