Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    samf526            07-14-2004, 9:11 AM Reply   
Hi all, this is my first post. I am looking to buy my first wakeboard and am comparing different models and packages etc. Because of money, i am going to go with a package, either: Hyperlite Motive 134, CWB Pure, or Liquid Force Trip (all with bindings). I would appreciate any input you have on these boards. I have done research but now i need help choosing between these boards. Thanks!
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard5.asp?ProductID=2088 Motive

http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard5.asp?ProductID=2105 Pure

http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard5.asp?ProductID=2226 Trip

Read the reviews at the bottom of these links.. You can find this feature at the top of the page under "Boards"

I have only been on the Trip of the 3 you mention, and it is a great board me thinks.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
CWB Pure
Old    walt            07-14-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
The Motive is a really easy board to ride.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
I'm a big CWB supporter, but the Motive might just be the best all around beginner board, and it will allow you to grow.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
why settle for a beginner board?
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
why would he be settling? What about the theory of getting the gear that fits your skill level so you still enjoy the sport? Maybe an advanced board for a beginner will be too much and he/she may not enjoy riding it. Just some thoughts.

I went with the boards that I have ridden before. Just because you have a board doesn't mean I can't take up offers from friends when they offer to let me try their boards. And hopefully you have learned on someone else's board, so go with it or one very similar to it. That would be my $.02

(Message edited by tcluv85 on July 14, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
so, by your theory, i should get a cheap ass boat first before i get a super air, since my skills are lacking.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
There is some logic to getting a cheap boat first....did you learn to ride a bike without training wheels or something...Just joking.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-14-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
yes, i did. and no, i'm not joking.

the logic behind getting an intermediate/advance board is that there's plenty of room for growth/improvement. with a beginner board w/ beginner bindings, there's only so much you can do. i'm not saying one can't accomplish anything on beginner boards, but if you can get an intermediate/advance setup, why not?

would i suggest a parks board for a beginner? no. 99% of the people that have it can't even ride it...it's just that advanced of a board. but there are sooooo many other options out there to avoid spending extra money (beginner setup first, then a more advance setup), since money is an issue in the first place.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-14-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Samf526 - Have you ridden any of these boards? What boards have you ridden? Go with the one that is closest to something you have ridden.
Old    samf526            07-14-2004, 4:14 PM Reply   
thanks Laci, but unfortunately i've only been wakeboarding once before, two years ago and that board was a rental, so i have no idea what kind of board it was (and i wasn't very successful on it either). so this is just a shot in the dark. the reason i am "settling" is mainly money. in the end i can always just rent a board and if i like it the rental money will go towards the purchase of the board. however, i won't get the discount with the binding/board packages. so, we'll see. thanks

p.s. Laci, if you had to choose a board thats good for beginning and i can carry a bit furthur to maybe the intermediate/ early intermediate stage, which would it be?

p.s.s i might try to get a deal on ebay. what are your thoughts on this?
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-14-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
i think its all about what feel comfortable... wether beginner or advance.. As a beginner if like the way a advance board rides go for it... I think Joe just says dont limit yourself to beginner stuff just cuz you are one...

My girlfriend (a beginner) rode a motive, fluid, and a couple other beginner boards and hated them... then jumped on a parks 133 (advanced ratnig) loves it and has improved very quickly... dont limit your self to beginner boards and ride as many as you can to see what you like the best
Old    samf526            07-14-2004, 10:43 PM Reply   
ok then allow me to ask a different question. which boards should i comletely avoid?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2004, 6:34 AM Reply   
Just to clarify. The Motive/old Belmont design is NOT A BEGINNER BOARD, but rather a good board for beginners. Just because that board is easier to start on doesn't mean you will be limited on that board at all. You can do anything on that board. Shawn Murray would agree.

In my opinion you should completely avoid anything with rolled (or cupped) edges, and anything with a really big rocker line. You might want to check out the CWB Prodigy too. That's a really nice riding board.

Good luck.
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-15-2004, 7:02 AM Reply   
My first board was the Trip. At the time, it was LF top of the line board, and I think the only 6 fin available (year 2000) It is a great board to learn to ride on, and still marketed as an intermediate/advanced board, so you can ride it at all levels.
The Motive is in the same catagory, and a great all around board. In fact my wife, just had her first lesson, she can hardly ride for 300' but loves the new sport. I just bought her the 04 divine package, which is the same board as the 134 motive, just has pretty girl graphics.
DK
Old     (rschrock)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2004, 7:21 AM Reply   
In the Liquid Force line, don't over look the Evolution series. They are great boards! They are light, have deep molded fins for stability, have great pop and are usually priced about $100 less than the Trip packages.

Good Luck
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
Laci is right that you should pick a board that you have ridden before. Even boards with visibly identical designs can right completely different.

Rather than trying to pick a board that will progress with you I would just work on getting a good deal. You will likely find that no matter what you buy now, when you become more experienced and start trying other people's boards that you will be back on the market for a new one anyway.

You are just as likely to end up hating a board that other's salivate over as you are to luv one that nobody cares about. The Motive is my favorite board right now. I recently tried a 2003 Hyperlite Byerly 132 and hated it. So you really can't tell from just listening to other's opinions or judging from the skill level of the board.
Old    samf526            07-15-2004, 8:17 AM Reply   
i might actually rent one for my trip this time. The place I'm going to rent from has a CWB Absolute for rent, would that board be manageable?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
yeah rent that absolute you will love it!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-15-2004, 11:28 AM Reply   
I 2nd the evolution Series Randy was talking about... My buddy has one and its is a great board! I love it!
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
I bought my 2nd board on Ebay and I really like it..... I bought an Obrien Option 136 with Obrien System bindings!!! Great buy and I got it all for under $300.00 Hardly ever ridden! ebay has alot of good deals just make sure that you read up on the board before the purchase! Oh and joe......Why waste money on a super air when you can ride behind a real boat!! TIGE 22V Now that's not a JOKE!
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-15-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
check out the adds on this site! i got my new board off here for a great deal...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-15-2004, 4:49 PM Reply   
brandon, yeah, ok dude. that's why super air hasn't changed their hull in years. how many times has tige' changed the hull in their "wakeboard"(ski) boat?

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-15-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Brandon, have you ever ridden behind a Super Air with a couple thousand pounds in it?