Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-23-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
cleaning and re-organizing created an opportunity for me to drag my wakeboards out and photograph them (what can I say, they're heavy and it's a hassle). This is for the people that might want to take a walk down memory lane...some of these boards are rare and influential, others I purchased based on sentimentality or because I really admired the riders who rode them. Three boards aren't in my shots: another mutiny that's at a friend's shop in CA, the very last wakeboard I bought for riding (an 03 substance), and a randy harris (yes, I did call him that) sound pro model from 1996. I just found that one with some mutiny bindings (bonus!), and I've been wanting it for years...so it was a good day.

If anyone else out there has some old boards, cool boards or whatever, feel free to post them. I'd love to see what everyone else has going on.
Attached Images

Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-23-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
That's an impressive collection!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
WOW!! Very cool indeed.
Old     (cwaker4)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-23-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
thats a nice timeline of wake history, nice work!
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2010, 7:49 PM Reply   
Wow! That is amazing! All in seemingly perfect condition, and some staples! Who's is the Full Tilt with the mouse?
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-23-2010, 8:05 PM Reply   
Way to take me back, that Skurfer is what started my obsession with this damn sport! Thanks for posting!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-23-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Nice quiver. I have the O'brien Woody sitting in my garage too.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-23-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
esnow, nice collection you got there! the only thing you're missing is a board from one of the best shapers in the sport; herb fletcher and badass wakeboards.
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       05-23-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
Coming soon...I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of these or the wakeskates
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-23-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
Did I just look at 80 boards? WOW. That is freakin' impressive!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-23-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
40...you counted each one twice.

1st pic = top; 2nd pic = bottom
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       05-24-2010, 4:29 AM Reply   
thats insane....very respectable
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
Wow, great post. Love to see the progression of a sport over time. Most are way before my time but still great. You shoudl get out and ride some of those. haha.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-24-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
and i assume your not adding your recent boards
Old     (TelepromptedAnthems)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-24-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
Who's is the Full Tilt with the mouse?
I think that's one of Thomas Horrell's graphics. Fulltilt had a year or two where each pro had multiple graphics; I think all three of those are Horrell's.

That's so bad ass...I'd love to get my hands on that first Nelson Double Up, any of the Mutiny decks, and one of the blue Flight 69's.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-24-2010, 6:56 AM Reply   
very very impressive!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-24-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Yeah , if you ever want to sell them let me know, there are a few I could use..... Impressive!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-24-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
The only thing I can say here is "DUDE!"
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-24-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
esnow - if you ever want to get rid of that K2 woody, let me know. I still remember the picture in either wakeboarding mag, or launch wakeboarding of Greg Nelson Jibbing a dock on that board. no vest, gloves, and one of those black back braces that we all wore back then.
thanks for the trip down memory lane. I think I have at least demoed half of those boards.
my favorite graphics are the Gator (gatorade), and the neptune impala.
Old    sperbet            05-24-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
awesome! You're the man, uh, I mean woman esnow!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-24-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
TRAIN I TOTALLY LOVED THAT SHOT!!!! He is Doing like Big old FS 180s over the dock!!!
Old     (funkyhomosapien)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Nice work! One of the best posts ever. Trip down memory lane.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
Man I was going to say where the heck does someone keep 80 boards! lol
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
Awesome! I'm glad you guys liked them. Unfortunately none of them are for sale...that woody is definitely one of my favorites for similar reasons mentioned...nelson was a style god on that thing. (or really any board, but obviously that k2 is memorable.) I guess reading all about it it, he kind of epitomized that seattle style in all of his imagery, like the way he rode his board and his baggy no billy no shorts. he and josh smith are two of my favorites because of that. but like that board, the sano (jimmy redmon's first company) and the thruster american spirit (schmaltz's first pro model)...those are some of my favorites and rarest.

I'm not really adding current boards to the line because I'm much more into collecting wakeskates at this point. there are still older boards I want for my collection...most of that is because I have more enthusiasm for wakeboarding at that point than I do now.

joe, I may not have a bad ass board, but I do have vandall SOLBOUND bindings. hahaha...seriously, I don't know why but I was never really too after a bad ass wakeboard. I can say that i have a pretty serious collection of bad ass wakeskate traction though.

Seaman, i was for sure going to send this to you! I still want to see photos of your board collection...the time is coming.

Oh, and that's not a mouse on that board. It's a chinchilla and like someone else said, it is one of thomas horrell's pro models from the 1998 season. the full tilt pros had like 3 or 4 boards in the line that year. His boards are crazy because they're but a few cm shorter than my snowboard...just huge wakeboards!

Oh, I caught one other post--these are all in my closet at my parents house...that bedroom has pretty much my entire board collection and everything else wake in there.

Last edited by electricsnow; 05-24-2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       05-24-2010, 6:24 PM Reply   
You need a Connelly T2 to add to that.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-24-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
I believe it was in the movie, wake the beast or something, but the pro's put together a free ride contest. you can catch Randall killing it on the obrien double ender pictured above, and Zane killing it on the dually right next to the double ender. zane was still rocking the "water skiier" look back then, but was killing it. I believe weddington won the contest on his full tilt pro model. dont think it is picture here though.
thanks again for the memories esnow.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
Ha! randy is a prime reason why I have that double ender...really him and greg nelson. and getting into wakeboarding, I was really into the groms at the time like parks bonifay and hunter brown. My first wakeboard came down to (in part) that double ender and that dually, and I went with the dually. Of course zane rocked that board and thomas horrell rode one for a bit also.

Train, maybe the video you're thinking of is high wake drifters. They had footage of the first wakeboarding magazine team contest...I can't remember if he rode the double ender (in the same comp I think greg was riding his first pro model called the full nelson), but I know one side of that wakeboard had that arrowed base graphic.

See, all of this talk and these memories are why I love those boards.

If anyone else has boards, post them!
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-24-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
Look at these gems I found on craigs list in the Sacramento area.
Attached Images

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-24-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
you're right esnow. it was high wake drifters. randy rode the double ender, and it was almost as big as him at the time. it was quite easy to see who came from what background at that stage of the game. the skiiers rocked the short shorts, and the skaters had the long ones. my favorite segment of that contest was schmaltzy jibbing the canoe and doing 180's over it. the good ol days.
Old     (scbrips)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-25-2010, 12:26 AM Reply   
That collection is simply amazing. All of those boards are sick, but my favorites would have to be the set of Flight 69s (including Gator's first pro model).

Referring to the first WBM challenge: Shannon Best won the individual portion (he threw two S-Bends) and Hyperlite (Shapiro and Lavelle) won the team portion. However, Cobe probably had the most fun when he hit a sick Indy Tantrum off the DU. It's funny how much I remember from that event. I think that's the the second WBM I ever owned.

Anyway, I have a lot of old boards but I surely can't compete with that collection. Regardless, here's my fav:
Attached Images

Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-25-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
WOW impressive collection!

I thought I have a lot of boards, I guess Im wrong!

Well the picture I have is not the latest collect, add in a few more pairs of bindings, some wake surf boards, and a few newer wakeboards.
Attached Images

Last edited by etang789; 05-25-2010 at 8:02 AM.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-25-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
>>Unfortunately none of them are for sale<< Keep me in mind though incase you decide to sell at a later date....
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-25-2010, 8:09 PM Reply   
the ho in the first pic popped my wake cherry. And those flight 69's and that obrien withe the arrows were my dreams for years......
Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-09-2011, 10:25 PM Reply   
I've got two old school boards, Not sure if they are minty enough for the collector, but they are perfect for "old school" ride days... and old school party's on the water
An old waketech that is super minty...

and a hyperlite H.O. shapiro

I can ship em, or I can meet you and deliver if you are in Northern California

Last edited by filmshoot; 08-09-2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added info
Old     (Texan)      Join Date: May 2011       08-10-2011, 8:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by etang789 View Post
WOW impressive collection!

I thought I have a lot of boards, I guess Im wrong!

Well the picture I have is not the latest collect, add in a few more pairs of bindings, some wake surf boards, and a few newer wakeboards.
etang, man you and me have the same taste in boards. That is my quiver going back to that CWB spy at least. Before that i was riding the LF super squirt, a hyperlite juvi, then a hyperlite voyager. Still riding that 08 Shane right now though.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-10-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
Wow, I forgot how ahead of their time the Mutany shapes were. They seemed simple then, but now they look sick and they had slider bases too. Hard to believe those are from 1997-1998.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-10-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Took this of a buddy on Wednesday
Attached Images

Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-11-2011, 12:54 AM Reply   
that is a sick shot!
Old     (Quinten1993)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-11-2011, 8:58 AM Reply   
Waw, far for my time, my first baord is a cwb sol 135 of 2006 or 07.

I'm impressed, i saw a 69 once on a picture and I licked it, now i defently like it
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
holy grail
Attached Images

Old     (lalh20)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-11-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
I wish I still had it but does anybody remember the Hyperlife B.A.F.F. (if you do, you know what BAFF stands for)? Other than the fish, that was one of the prettiest finishes I've ever had on a wakeboard.
Old     (thedoubleupkid)      Join Date: May 2008       08-11-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
bad ass flying fish
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-11-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Is it to early for wakeboard companies to do a retro board?
Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-11-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
the byerly blunt is a throwback graphic
Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-12-2011, 12:20 AM Reply   
you guys aren't going to believe this!!! I just found out that the bottom of my Hyperlite board GLOWS IN THE DARK!!! I accidentally turned the garage lights off and noticed it... too freakin' cool.
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       08-15-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
I finally got some pictures of my collection. Here is my wakeboarding history...
Old     (Nova)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-15-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
Simply amazing...
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-16-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
Nice.... I need to get an updated pic of my collection...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
B.a.f.f.!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Holy crap guys, mind=blown!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-16-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
anyone want to sell one of those flight 69s????
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waketx05 View Post
anyone want to sell one of those flight 69s????
Holy cow...didnt realize my first ever wakeboard the red/yellow Flight 69 was a collectors edition lol my parents still have it at the lake. Whats it worth? lol
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-17-2011, 11:08 PM Reply   
Make an offer... I have looked everywhere for one.. My gameroom wont be complete without one.
Old     (filmshoot)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-24-2011, 12:07 AM Reply   
boards are sold...
thanks

DDUUDE!! That is THE BEST collection of anything I've seen in a while.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
e-snow, you need to set something up with alliance setting up an old school contest with that collection but not the kind they have every year behind an unweighted mastercraft 190. it needs to be behind a mid 90s to late 90s either super sport or first gen SAN or a 205v/blue xstar weighted to the absolute gizzards. Whatever board they pick they have to do the run from whatever classic video part it was in trick for trick only being able to add grabs or extra 180s. In my garage I know there is a Hyperlite Drifter, a trip 33.5, trip 28, mini squirt, origin skull (both years) a joyride dr doom (same shape as the origin), a few double up deltas (broken), every generation premier up until the black and white one, a blindside dv8, hyperlite charger 147 (lavelles board), SINE 138, first ronix one, a white parks, subjekt 132, Watson hybrid, witness 140, and a witness grind 140, hyperlites pink roam from last year and god knows what bindings. 98 blindsides, blue super suctions, 3 or 4 pair of ultra suctions, black and red parks, blue parks, blue high backs, orange high backs, black 3dS open toed, 2 pair of atlas (one still new in box) ronix relek reflektos, double up Luke wolfs, red sovens, and closed toed Watsons. Wakeskates- that black and red wood obrien deck, a butter, a green 4 trac, ronix zariel... Cant wait to go home to pull all of this stuff out of the attic!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-24-2011, 4:59 PM Reply   
byerly monarch, byerly assault, jstar Lyman, double up lidberg
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-25-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
Electricsnow, will you marry me? Such a great collection! We're going to have to fly out to your house and do a "History of Wakeboarding" story. We can probably get 90% of what we need from you!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2011, 2:28 AM Reply   
Chef,
You know I luv ya, you're the best, and your collection is the most epic ever, but I have one question for you:

No Stinger?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2011, 3:07 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, and how about Core wakeboards? Kurt Narmore (RIP, brotha) pioneered flex board technology a full decade before it gained mainstream popularity. If you look at his original board design, thin profile, machined core, flexy, lifted rail, it looks remarkably similar to the new flex boards being sold today. Umali, you still with me on this?

That's it, I'm gonna bust out my collection for some pics. Problem is my boards are spread between the east and west coasts. Maybe I'll just crawl back under my rock for another year or two.

^ Oh, and liking "the holy grail." I remember when Nelson first brought those boards around on the first Double-Up Experience demo tour, I rode the one with the giant octupus. That was a great day!

Last edited by dococ; 08-26-2011 at 3:10 AM.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-26-2011, 4:49 AM Reply   
I have a couple pairs of Stinger bindings, unfortunately no Stinger boards though.I do have a HL Perez,a giant HL 152 Bad Ass Flying Fish,an Iconn Custom Limited Edition,a Primitive Designs surf shape and the first compression molded HL.Will snap some shots of them tonight.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-26-2011, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
B.a.f.f.!
The best board ever!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
My 3-year old now uses my B.A.F.F. as his trampoline board. The binding inserts run the length of the board, so I bolted on some snowboard bindings with a stance narrow enough for him, and he straps right in with his Vans sneakers on.

Jay, ya those Stinger bindings were great! Nice and cushy and snug with a honeycomb shock absorber under the heel. I kept blowing them out and calling Stinger again and again for parts to rebuild them. Then HL Highbacks came out, and the game changed...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-27-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Derek's collection is bad to the bone! He knows this, but I have no problem saying it again.

Kyle_L, I dig your idea but that wouldn't work with me because I don't ride my boards. People hate that and can continue to do so but I'm pretty weird about that stuff. part of it was wanting to get mint boards, and not every board is mint, but I'd lose it if one of the rare boards broke. the one I really want to ride is that sound randy harris pro model. I idolized that kid on that board, and I can't say how many times I watched his run on the pro tour in 96 or that sound promo video, just to get those visuals.

doctor octago, I always wanted a stinger but the timing never really worked out. out of all of them, I wanted the snowboarder pro models, like the jeff brushie pro model...just something like that because it seems era appropriate, like trying to get snowboarders involved in wakeboarding, blah blah blah. but that goes back also.

anyway, dave and everyone else, thanks for the compliments! It's so cool that you guys take an interest in this stuff and are enthusiastic about expressing it.
Old     (nautiqu13)      Join Date: Dec 2000       10-14-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Sad to say, but my collection is for sale. Let me know if you are interested in any of them.