Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
I have been shopping for a new boat for a while now and have narrowed it down to the 2010 VLX or a new 2009 XStar. I need a saltwater series boat and the 09 Mastercraft and 2010 Malibu are both saltwater boats. Same engine, similar options, tough call. The kicker is that both boats are the same price! Any feedback, opinions and advice would be great! Thanks

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:27 PM.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
now it comes down to the type of fit and finish you like and the wake. have you ridden behind either boats? i prefer the malibu just because i like how plush it feels, but its your call in the end.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-16-2010, 11:25 PM Reply   
I have been behind the XStar and loved it. Never behind a VLX.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:26 PM.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2010, 1:27 AM Reply   
Tommy,

I don't know if you can go wrong with either boat. I own an X-star and ride behind a VLX regulary as my good friend owns one.

As far as fit and finish go, both are top notch. Both are plush.
Wakes: A matter of debate. I would give the X-star the edge w/ weight and for the HARDCORE wakeboarder. Many do not need that type/size of wake. VLX has a great wake and a far superior surf wake in my experience.

VLX feels larger inside. If it was me i think it would come down to what the two companies did to get the thing ready for the salt. I am not sure how Malibu prepares the boat to operate in salt. Like i said, i probably did not help you out at all, but both are great and will basically come down to which you prefer to ride behind and can live with. You might want to spend several hours in each one.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 5:33 AM Reply   
My considerations would be:
1. Room (the XStar has more room in the bow, but is more cramped in the cockpit than the VLX)
2. Wake (The VLX takes less weight to pump up the stock wake)
3. Surfing (The VLX has a better surf wake)
4. Resale (There are a bunch of factors to be considered. See what older XStars and VLX's are selling for and try to anticipate whether any prospective changes in the boats will affect your future resale)
5. Dealer (Which is the better local dealer to work with/ who has the better reputation? You will have a problem with any boat you buy at some point)
6. Trailer (Are the trailers comparable? Galvanized?)
7. Tower speakers (Are you interested in upgrading to different tower speakers at any point? Consider whether the respective towers offer any limitations as to what speakers you can mount)
8. Color (What are the colors of the boats? Which do you like better and which bodes better for resale?)
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-17-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
Both are great wake boats. I have owned a malibu 23 lsv. and currently own a x-star. I think the x-star is a high quality boat, but i believe you get more for your money with the vlx
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-17-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
In regards to the boats, its all about your preference. Go spend an afternoon on each and make your decision as informed as possible. Either way you are going to score a sick ride.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:28 PM.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-18-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great info. I am still on the fence but i'm leaning towards the XStar. They have been making the Salt Series boats longer and may have things better sorted for that environment.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:29 PM.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-19-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
to contribute to this thread I think Mastercraft makes a great salt water boat. Granted I have only had mine for about a year and a half I used it in nothing but salt for the first 6 months b4 I discovered there actually was a fresh spot not too far from me. My only problem has been with the brakes on trailer and that has been of my own negligence. I wasn't aware you were supposed to rinse your brakes immediately when you put in. I was waiting till I got home after the sun had baked the salt on to them. Also IMHO a big part of what it comes down to is your dealer. A good dealer is PRICELESS.

Last edited by wakeworld; 03-23-2010 at 1:29 PM.
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-20-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
My family has an 07 x star ss with the captain crusader 6.0, and haven had any problems. We looked at VLX's, and i loved the interior. When my family was buying are boat it came down to price and the x star was cheaper. We love are boat, but i think we would have been just as happy with a VLX. Test Drive!
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-20-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Man- I'd go with the X-star. Mastercraft knows how to do salt water stuff really well and standing the test of time in a corrosive environment will be an issue. The small stuff is where it will matter. An integrated floor/hull and seating with less screws and hinges to rot, removeable carpet, and billet aluminum everywhere will hold up a lot better.
Don't get me wrong- I'm not hating on the VLX- but Salt water is nasty stuff and affects everything - not just the motor and trailer.
Old     (DwightSchrute)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-20-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
I must respectfully disagree. MC does put a lot of hype around their SS and they do a nice job of that, but Malibu's is identical in every way! My buddy just went through this thoroughly and went into the whole deal strongly pro MC. After comparing the ss differences, it was apparent that they were the same as the engine company (indmar in both cases) does most of the key stuff. After that, Malibu puts stainless upgrades instead of their std billet alum-MC's billet alum in salt wont last as long be it the tower, dash components, grab rails, etc. Not to mention mc runs their grounding wires in the bilge...where you will have water... then they have electrical issues... found that the hard way from another couple friends that bought mc.

The other major issue he found (i was with him on the demo) was that the xstar easily takes water over the front of the bow-something that the Malibu did not do at all. I wouldn't want several hundred gallons of salt water coming in every time my less experienced driver (wife/buddies) turn around to pick me up. Malibu now has the same liner floor so that's par. MC bow is wider all the way up front, but how many people really ride up there? Malibu's interior is much more plush and luxurious not to mention spacious in the main part of the boat where you spend most of your day. Just my observations.

ALERT!!! Have you driven them both? The Malibu absolutely drives circles around the mc!!! The malibu will turn effortlessly both directions, has waaay less bow rise, and is significantly quicker to plane. The mc pitches and rolls like a bay-liner or sea ray. omg is this a HUGE difference!!! Regardless of anything else, the performance is NOT EVEN CLOSE! The xstar seems like it takes forever to get going and once it does wont turn for crap. Wakes-choose, both are big, but the guys above are right, anyone less than pro riders can not dial down an xstar. The Malibu just flat out smoked the mc on the water.

A 2010 Mal SS vs a left over 09 xstar ss for same price? Sounds like Malibu is hooking you up. My buddy paid a fair bit more for the Malibu.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-20-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
Oh here we go. Everyone was playing so nice..

Dwight-

I must respectfully disagree with you sir. I have rode and driven both boats many time (not ss series but all the same) and there are some little differences I noticed. But to say the performance was not even close is way off. I don't know what engine you had in those boats but both performed very similarly when heavily weighted. Both got on plane in relatively the same amount of time. I am in no way a pro and have our x-star wake dialed..it's pretty easy just put the fly high system in and fill it up. Any body that has been in a boat a few times can figure out how to weight an x-star.

Bow rise is actually a bigger problem when I'm driving the vlx and never an issue in the xstar since the xstar nose does slop down slightly to prevent visibility problems. In turn this does cause the nose to be closer to the water and some inexperienced driver do have problems with this but I could fix there problem in about two seconds of coaching. I do actually remember a thread not to long ago about someone that was complaining about dipping the nose of there vlx when heavily weight.

In the end it's all personal preference. Everyone should test drive each boat they are considering to buy before they make a purchase.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-21-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I'll post a comment that is fact, not opinion.

The current X-Star came out in 2003

The current VLX came out in 2009

MC is coming out with a new X-Start next year whereas the VLX will likely remain unchanged for several more years.

This fact combined with the fact that the X-Star you are looking at is a year older makes me think the VLX will have much better resale value.

Both are great boats, but this line of thinking would make the decision easy for me.
Old     (DwightSchrute)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
What part of the performance that i was referring to had anything to say about 'dialing in the wake'? If you look again i said the wakes were pretty even. They are. Its the rest of the boats performance that i questioned. You know, if say you ever had to turn the boat, maneuver around docks, have someone other than you drive and not dip the bow...of course after you dipped your own bow the first couple times I'm sure you learned how to not do it, but wouldn't you think they build a boat at that level to not do it in the first place? Why do you need to learn how to avoid a flaw in design?

I love it how certain guys only want to discuss the wake as its the only thing that matters in the whole wide world. MC makes a nice boat-never said they didn't. Don't get offended just because you feel you have to justify why you overpaid for under-performance. Again, that's just MY opinion. But hey, I'm the douche...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-23-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Who really cares about a wakeboats performance? How often do you go drive 50 mph doing circles? If you like to do that go buy a baja or something. As long as the boat throws a good wake, gets on plane relatively quick, tracks straight and can turn weighted everything else is about looks and layout of the boat. The Xstar does all those things very well. Ask the CIE guys about driving a heavily weighted xstar. There are some things about Malibu's that I don't like. I don't like that they don't have a one piece liner. Their seats are all seperate pieces screwed together. I think their windshields are very cheap feeling. The Mastercraft windshield is solid as a rock in comparison. I feel like the Malibu's are plusher straight from the factory than Mastercraft but that the Mastercraft feels like a more solid boat that will last longer, especially under less than ideal conditions. That being said I like both boats and it would be a really tough call. The VLX is a more versatile boat and has a better wake out of the box. The VLX should also be quite a bit cheaper when talking about the same year and options. I would think a 2010 SS Xstar would run in the 90's to possible over 100k with the biggest engine and completely loaded where I would think that a loaded SS VLX would be 70-80k.
Old     (DwightSchrute)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
I guess there's your difference... MC guys don't care how the boat drives, that its quieter inside, has more versatility, stock set up was done right, or the interior's plushness as long as it throws a big wake and looks good. Too each there own. Guess I need to go back to school if students are able to drop xstar money- or is it Dad's?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-23-2010, 8:02 PM Reply   
How is it more versatile?

"Wakes-choose, both are big, but the guys above are right, anyone less than pro riders can not dial down an xstar. " Uh...wasn't this in your first post?

I do care about how the boat drives. I think heavily weighted, it still drives like a jewel. But rarely do I have my boat over 35 MPH. I could care less if another boat flies by me and can do a 360 around me, I bought it to wakeboard and skate behind not to whiz down the lake.

If I posted how much I paid for the boat, you'd be amazed (Not at how much, but how little).

I am by no means a boat snob, but your first post was the most absurd opinion of a boat I have heard in awhile.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       03-23-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I'll post a comment that is fact, not opinion.

The current X-Star came out in 2003

The current VLX came out in 2009

MC is coming out with a new X-Start next year whereas the VLX will likely remain unchanged for several more years.

This fact combined with the fact that the X-Star you are looking at is a year older makes me think the VLX will have much better resale value.

Both are great boats, but this line of thinking would make the decision easy for me.

This is so true and exactly right. This combined with much more room behind the window in the VLX would do it for me.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-24-2010, 12:38 AM Reply   
First,..both boats are good.
I,ve put 1000+ hours on several vlx.s and 320 on the x-star and on to a 2th x-star this year.

yesterday i drove a vlx with a hammerhead and 1235 prop....nice combo btw.
Malibu,s are quicker have better response on the water etc logic they weight 900 lbs less.
We are wakeboarders and to me the only thing what counts is the total mass moving thru the water.
For me that,s about 8500lbs.And the x-star with a ly6 performs good.
I,ve done that with the vlx model better holeshot with a monsoon and 1235,occaisonally a chinewalk( for me a lefthand turn against a current) but it dips the nose easy because the vlx likes the weight up front.The foam in the cussions on a x-star isn,t the best material specially when it is soaked once by a good rain.
The list goes on and on but these are all minor things.

anyway though call on that 09 vs 10
Just pick the one that looks better to you.
good luck.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-24-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
I know I say it a lot, but the #1 reason why I think the VLX is an amazing boat is the ease of creating a world class wake. I run stock ballast plus about 800 lbs. of Pop Products bags. Depending on preference you can drop the Wedge and that gives me and my friends a top notch wake without having to hassle with anything. When the pros come out to ride, we drop in another couple thousand pounds and you've got a wake that can't be beat, but the big selling point for me is the ease of creating "my" wake.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2010, 9:41 AM Reply   
I am a happy owner of a 2009 VLX WS. Additionally I am 100% blind. I can and do on a regular basis set up the wake on the go. It is too easy to make a great wake with the four tank set up & the power wedge. Stock wake board wake and surf wakes are both good with as few as 3 people and only gets better with additional weight & pasingers. As for power I would say that with the monsoon 350 with STE it is more then sufficient with all of the weight you can throw at it. I would not say it is any faster or slower out of the hole then any other boat in its class. I would say that it handles like a champ loaded and will run with the rest of the class getting to and from a setting. I have not once been introduced to chime lock and have 105 hours on it. one of my strongest selling points was also the room in the cockpit. The bow is great when chilling but who wants to be away from the action. For the windshield comments above I can’t see where they get flimsy from. Any one that says dipping the bow won’t happen on a VLX has not spent enough time in one. Both boats will dip if you’re not paying attention. As it’s been noted the hull is new as of 2009 and I will agree with go with the best dealer. With new boats it is not if, but when you will need them. It is all about how fast they respond and what kind of experience it was. I had an issue on the water where friends would not touch anything stating “it’s too expencive I don’t want to break it.” My dealer walked us through the repair via cell phone on a trip, wile we were floting on the lake. 5 10 minutes and we were back in action for the remainder of the season. have fun with this purchase and bring on the games.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-24-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
I am a happy owner of a 2009 VLX WS. Additionally I am 100% blind. I can and do on a regular basis set up the wake on the go. It is too easy to make a great wake with the four tank set up & the power wedge. Stock wake board wake and surf wakes are both good with as few as 3 people and only gets better with additional weight & pasingers. As for power I would say that with the monsoon 350 with STE it is more then sufficient with all of the weight you can throw at it. I would not say it is any faster or slower out of the hole then any other boat in its class. I would say that it handles like a champ loaded and will run with the rest of the class getting to and from a setting. I have not once been introduced to chime lock and have 105 hours on it. one of my strongest selling points was also the room in the cockpit. The bow is great when chilling but who wants to be away from the action. For the windshield comments above I can’t see where they get flimsy from. Any one that says dipping the bow won’t happen on a VLX has not spent enough time in one. Both boats will dip if you’re not paying attention. As it’s been noted the hull is new as of 2009 and I will agree with go with the best dealer. With new boats it is not if, but when you will need them. It is all about how fast they respond and what kind of experience it was. I had an issue on the water where friends would not touch anything stating “it’s too expencive I don’t want to break it.” My dealer walked us through the repair via cell phone on a trip, wile we were floting on the lake. 5 10 minutes and we were back in action for the remainder of the season. have fun with this purchase and bring on the games.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-01-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
I just wanted to say thanks for all the great info. It really made my decision a lot.... more difficult! lol. Everyone loves their boat and I can't blame them both boats are mental! I decided to go with the XStar. I have been in love with the X-Star for years. This was a good resource and I really do appreciate all of the great feedback. Now if anyone wants a pull in OC please hit me up!!

Thanks Again!!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-02-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-02-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I do own a MC and it's hard to get past the floor/seats in this link, but I do like the VTX. Interested in checking it out and maybe purchasing one someday....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...&postcount=119
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Here she is!!
Attached Images

Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-05-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
Ver' Nice!
Old     (Showmethebutter)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sick boat man! Love the colours.
Old     (joker)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
would go for the malibu over the mastercraft, both are great, but i just don't know about mastercraft long term, they have screwed over a lot of people with the rebate fiasco, i think the name is the only thing that has kept them out of bankruptcy, anyway, both are great, i also really like the new tige boats, they have done more over two years as far as quality and looks, i think that will be my next boat, they are really nice
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-05-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker View Post
would go for the malibu over the mastercraft, both are great, but i just don't know about mastercraft long term, they have screwed over a lot of people with the rebate fiasco, i think the name is the only thing that has kept them out of bankruptcy, anyway, both are great, i also really like the new tige boats, they have done more over two years as far as quality and looks, i think that will be my next boat, they are really nice
Lee, no offense but are you blind? He already bought the Xstar and even has pictures 3 posts above yours.

BTW, great looking xstar.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-05-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Tommy- Congrats...beautiful boat!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-05-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
I thought I told you to buy the VLX... j/k!

Tommy, it's hard to argue with your decision after seeing the pics. Sick sick boat! Congrats!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
Am I the only person who thinks the BU VLX wake got much worse in 2009?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-06-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Awesome looking boat, you couldnt go wrong with the decision either way but nice choice.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-19-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
I would have had a hard time picking any boat over that one!
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
dang sick boat hope you ride the shot out of it
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-19-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Tommy... Congrats. That boat is georgous. We're on our 4th X-star and have loved every minute in them. The wakes are mackin', and IMO they drive great. I'm always suprised when people say they're a slug. If they can make a tight turn in the Delta when fully loaded, then I'm impressed, and the Stars do it great.

As for dipping the nose, the star has proven better than my old X1, or Sanger DLX. The nose is soo long and the "tri" hull shape helps them displace a bunch of water when rolling over wakes or coming off plane. If you're regularly dipping the nose, then you're probably making a poor wake, too, because you don't have enough weight in the rear.

If I have one complaint with the X-star it's in how a$$ heavy they like to be. In turn they get crappy mileage when fully loaded. This probably wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people, but our boat's never empty. It's loaded to ride at all times, so we burn through a lot of fuel. It's worth it for the wake though. It's absolutely MEATY! The thickest wake I've ever been on. Those boats push a TON of water.

FWIW... I love the VLX, too. If I were in the market it'd be between these two boats for me, too. Can't go wrong either way.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-19-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Tommy, do you guys ride in the Huntington harbor? I swear that launch ramp looks familiar. Congrats on the ride, I'm just incredibly curious as to where you guys ride.