Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-22-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Is that a perfect pass monitor in the picture?

Upload
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
do you have a pic of the engine? that is easier to tell.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-22-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
Nope, sorry. This is all I have.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-22-2009, 9:06 PM Reply   
That's not perfect pass. It shows the battery voltage, depth gauge, water temp, etc.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-22-2009, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thought so...where do you think PP would fit on that dash?
Old     (phxsan)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-22-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
Todd...even if it had perfect pass could you pull it with your VW? What kind of boat is it?
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-22-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
No more VW, but I can definitely pull it with a 4runner. It's a supreme V232. Who are you?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
HAHA! Pulling a 23 footer with a 4runner? That is pushing the little toy, isn't it?

seriously, don't pull more than that little suv is rated for.

Dry weight of that thing is probably around 4k lb. plus 1.5k lb. trailer - that equals trouble for a 4 runner.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-22-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Has a 7300lb tow cap and prob will hold up better than any domestic
Old     (phxsan)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-22-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
pull the speedo and put it there.....PP will give you speed
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2009, 9:51 PM Reply   
There is more than just what the engine will pull, todd. Don't even go there comparing against domestics.

Big Brakes, Heavy Frame, tranny coolers and heavy duty radiators all contribute - Just saying you should be sure first. If the boat looks a little funny as it dwarfs the tow vehicle, something may be wrong.

You may be fine, I am just playing devils advocate here. I hate seeing guys towing more than they should.

Not trying to hyjack. Safety, my friend. No offense.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-22-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
^^ pretty sure when they say 7300 lbs they take into account brakes, engine, tranny, everything... I highly doubt they claim the engine can handle 7300, but you're S.O.L. if you have to stop... If it says it can do it, it can do it.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-22-2009, 10:08 PM Reply   
Hey, Nick - I do hear ya!

Keep in mind Toyota's in the 80's said 1ton on the back. This actually meant 1 ton TOW RATING, not 1 ton payload. People were uninformed and bought thinking it had a 1 ton payload. I just know I wouldn't tow a 6k+ LB. (once you are fully loaded with fuel and speakers, stereo, boards, batteries, cooler, and whatever else you are taking) with a small SUV.

I care too much for my family's safety.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-22-2009, 11:37 PM Reply   
Thats a SUPREME! And depending on the version of PP you get... you can get the older analog/digital gauge and replace the Tach... actually... you even if you went with Stargazer GPS... I would replace the Tach... because the digital display will show you RPMS... but if you replace Speedo.. and you lose GPS signal.. you will have no clue how fast you are going...
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Yes, 7300 towing capacity. HP and torque aren't much different that the 5.3's and 5.4's.

I think that's crap if you think you are protecting your family's safety by driving a domestic. I'd rather have the vehicle with a steering/suspension that won't fail, tranny that won't fail, fuel pump, head gasket, water pumps, all that stuff that has a 70-80K lifespan on a domestic and prone to early failure before that.

If you are driving down the highway I'd rather feel that my vehicle doesn't have a compromised suspension, doesn't have a loose idler arm, an intermediate shaft that needs lube, bad inner tie rods... Or in the case of the 5.4, spark plugs that are about to shoot out of the cylinders, or if it's an after 03 model, plugs that haven't been changed cause now they made it so they are stuck in there.

Brakes, let's talk about brakes. I'd like to compare the size of the 4runners vs. domestic suv's. The toyota's 4 piston caliper probably had a lot more thought in design going into it than the whatever the domestics could slap together.

There's a reason why they are the world's #1 seller, and it's not cause of fuel efficiency(they aren't any better on average) I feel alot more safe driving a well designed and extremely reliable vehicle, than what the domestics could slap together. Probably have much better performance down the road.

Before you go bashing and boasting about being Mr. Safety talk to some owners. I'm sure I am a lot safer than an over confident chevy owner blasting down the highway thinking his vehicle is the
Drive what you want, but don't give me that safety BS.

(Message edited by Antoddio on January 23, 2009)
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2009, 8:37 AM Reply   
And all V8 4runners come standard with tranny cooler and high cap radiator.
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       01-23-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
Woah! chill out Todd, you can drive whatever you want, Japanese, German, American. I have been driving Chevy pick ups for years and never had any of the problems you mentioned, like any vehicle if you don't abuse them and maintain them they are safe. I work in the northern Canadain oilpatch, Toyota's are becoming more common but the domestics still rule because they stand up better to the harsh weather and road conditions. Make sure you guys understand your rated tow capacities, its not your safety I care about, like anyone else, its me and my families safety I care about when i am cruising down the hiway. PP is a must IMHO
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-23-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
And we have a winner!!!!! TODD by way of TKO with the Four Runner.

HAHAHA, looks like Todd did his research here guys. FWIW my Wife's Nissan pulls WAY better then my GMC any day of the week.

(Message edited by allen on January 23, 2009)
Old     (xpjim1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-23-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Theres more to take into account than just the tow rating. You need to look at the Gross combined Vehicle weight rating. This takes into account everything, weight of your vehicle, you and your passengers, gear and weight of what you are towing.

(Message edited by xpjim1 on January 23, 2009)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
How does any of this have to do with his question? The dude wants to pull with a 4-Runner...let the dude pull with his 4-Runner. Jeezus

Why would it show battery, temp and oil if those gauges are immediately to the left?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Now that we have that settled, I'll add that I see a "trim" lever there on the steering column. Is this an I/O?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
XP's right - which is what I was hinting at. Sorry, to offend you, todd -

It appears the new 4 runners have been beef'd up quite a bit, so my bad. They have a history of being a very lightweight (and underpowered) vehicle, though, so my appologies.

NOW - TOW AWAY!

Allen - My Chevy tow's better than by buddy's brand new Tundra any day of the week. So what?

And - I owned a toyota truck - about every single thing imaginable had to be replaced by 120k miles - radiator, water pump, alternator, clutch fan, clutch, I can't even remember all the stuff. My tahoe has well over that with only a couple of little things needed and I tow all the time with it.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
The trim lever actuates the trim tab plate...still looking for the info on that gauge..I remember seeing them...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-23-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Best pull's ever: My dad's old Chevy 2500 Desiel but it sucks besides towing
and
Friends F-250 V10 .... but that shot some spark plugs.... so again, besides towing it was rough
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-23-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
No Nacho,
It's for the wakeplate.

I've towed with my V-8 4Runner and I really like how it pulls, and stops for that matter. I haven't towed a boat over 21.5ft though. That 230 is a pretty big boat. Fairly flat ground I don't think it would be a problem, but I wouldn't want to try and pull the hills around my area with a big boat.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       01-23-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
Meathead,

I believe the gauge is for the SIS (Supreme Information System). It's got quite a few functions:Time, water temp, depth etc.

It is definetly not PP.

(Message edited by bstroop on January 23, 2009)
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Yes, I wouldn't tow with a previous gen of 4runner, but this one seems pretty capable. Plus we don't have hills in WI, and most towing will be under 3 miles, except for 2 or 3 semi-long hauls each year.

So I guess I have to decide whether I want to loose the tach or the speedo. Dealer said he could do PP for 995. Looks like the tach might have a hour meter, not sure.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
I'd drop the speedo.
My last rig was an '06 4-Runner with the 4.0. It pulled my little Sanger just fine. Your Supreme is a heavier by a bit but I wouldn't worry, especially if you have the V8. Even fully loaded with people and gear, I never had any issues under heavy braking. I really liked that ride but it was a lease. The Tacoma tows much better but ultimately rides like a truck too. *** for tat.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-23-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
Lose the speedo. Keep the Tach. Install PP. Pull it with your 4-Runner.

DONE....
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-23-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
this tread went in a different direction pp to Toyota and domestic or im i reading wrong
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
We haven't hit global warming yet, but some folks are still out for lunch.

Toyotas rock.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-23-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
I too would drop the Speedo, never remove a tach! The tach lets you know how hard you are making the engine work and is great for getting riders up to speed. Personally all the people I ride with/pull don't like it when the driver just dumps the throttle and lets PP fix it for them. You get a pretty big lag while it tries to correct itself. If you come up to speed and get it smoothly to your riding RPM the pull for the rider is that much better.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-23-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
lifetime,
HAHAH I was just trying to be funny, Sorry.
I say as long as your getting to the water who cares. Cause everybody has something that better then the next guy. Know what I mean?

As for the PP I would get rid of the speedo.
I would never ever get rid of a tach, RMS are so important thay can tell you so much when you need them.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-23-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
Well, I think I got my questions answered . Thanks!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-23-2009, 12:50 PM Reply   
No worries, fellas - SO, todd - I guess all you needed was

"NO"

HAHAHA!