Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2008, 6:25 PM Reply   
Im all new to the inboard setup as this is my first inboard boat.

I have a regular Morse MV-2 control with pull out knob that disengages the transmission to allow for fast idle starting.

I had no issue starting it the first day I receved delivery of the boat, but tonight when I did it, there was nothing, no starter, everything was dead. I had to fiddle around with the key and the knob and finally it allowed me to crank the engine.

My question is, am I doing something wrong when starting it, or is there an electrical connection that doesn't allow me to start the boat unless that knob is all the way out? Upload
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-18-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
what make, model and year of boat? firstly, sounds like you may have left it in gear? make sure the throttle is in neutral position, if you need some juice, pull gear knob out and throw throttle in reverse position for a little pepper for starting.. you will get nothing if trying to start it in gear. also, if you have a kill switch and tether, make sure it is attached properly.. lastly, there may be an ACCESSORIES (ACC) toggle that sometimes has to be turned on in order for boat to have any power.. hope this helps..
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-18-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
its a 1995 Searay Spitfire Inboard with 5.7 Merc.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to check it again tomorrow, I was probably just doing something wrong. I think I just need to get used to how the boat operates 100%
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-19-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
as long as the boats FI you shouldn't have to have the throttle out of neutral position to start. Leave it there and see if it works, if not then it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere, if it does it sounds like you were trying to start it in gear.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-19-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Its a Carb not FI. The more I think about it, I dont think the knob was pulled out as much as I remember the first time I started it, so it probably was in gear.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-19-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
THe neutral safety switch can be a common culprit on inboards. the linkage gets a little worn and boat won't crank because the tranny isn't completely in neutral. Sounds like it from the "completely dead" symptom. Have someone crank it while you adjust the shifter (on the trans) to see if this is the problem. Then adjust the linkage whichever direction you need to go.