Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
Hey guys this will be my first time posting so be nice. haha. I have the following in a 03 Malibu and im not happy with it at all. I really thought it would be louder.

6 kicker RS65.2 in a fiberglass box on the tower
4 older infinity in the boat
1 12" HK12x2 MA audio sub in a box under the passenger side storage.
1 10" MA103XE sub at the driverside foot rest.
1 kicker 650.4 pushing the tower speakers
1 kicker 650.4 pushing the in boat speakers
Hifonics Brutus BXI2610D for both subs
Sony head unit with 3 PAC volume controls. No eq or line drivers.

I didnt expect to hear the music at 70 ft from the tower but the tower is not loud at all.. when i turn up the gain to far the cross overs start flashing, when i have the gain where it should be the volume is just not what i thought i would be. I did expect the subs to hit a little harder maybe im putting to much faith in the hifonics amp

I am considering taking the 6 kicker speakers and putting them in the boat and putting the kicker KM6500.2 in a fiberglass enclosure for the tower.
Any suggestions or recomendations would be welcome. Im not worried about getting my feelings hurt..... Any more news on the wetsounds 6x9's.....Thanks Derek
Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-18-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
Maybe i need to change the title...
Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Help
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-19-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
What is your battery system?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-19-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Are the boxes right for the subs? How are they wired? What is the OHM load you are showing the HiFonics? The RMS on the 12 is pretty huge, it is likely not getting the RMS watts it desires. The 10 is getting way over its peak of 600. Beyond that its pretty tough to set up two totally different subs of of one amp. I'd use the Hi Fonics on just the 12 at 1 OHM as the sub is a 2 ohm DVC watch the gains though you'll be pushing that sucker hard. Get a seperate 500 watt amp for the 10 its a 4 OHM DVC so look for 500 watts at 2OHM's. If you can swap the location of the two subs that may help as well, its tough to get much out of the passenger side when its closed.

Tuning everything else properly might be part of the problem but I don't think much of the Infinity coax's. Are you running the in boats and tower on Hi pass?
Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-19-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
The battery system is two kenetics...Havent had a battery problem as of yet..
The box for the 12 is a little undersized its in a 1.5 cf box now, im changing that soon... was considering swapping the location on the 12 and putting it under the drivers side , just worried about space.. I am pushing both at 2ohms. I will get another amp for the 10 and then push the 12 at 1 ohm, or maybe just drop the 10 altogether and get another 12.?
The infinitys have held up pretty well so far but im going to take them and the kickers on the tower are going in the boat, and putting the kicker km6500.2 on the tower.
Kicker said i could push the km6500.2 with the zx650.4 with no problem...
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-20-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Derek-

Sorry for the late reply!

I agree with using the new KM6500.2's on the tower. The efficiency will make a huge difference. Since you have 6 holes on the tower to fill, augment the KM6500.2's with a spare set of the KM6500 mids. You will wire the KM6500.2's on half of the 650.4 amp, and the KM6500's on the other half. This will show a 4-ohm load to each of the amp's 4 channels.

If you are just going to use the KM6500.2s and not the separate mids, the ZX650.4 will work, but understand....
As my general mantra, I do not recommend bridging, primarily for the fact that most 4-ohm speakers really are 3.3 - 3.6 ohms. For the KM6500.2 it is a rock solid 4-ohms. This will be one of the few examples of a situation where bridging an amplifier into a full-range 4-ohm load is appropriate.

325 watts a side for the KM6500.2 is a prety hot, really quite a bit of power-hot, but not way too hot, and it will run better and more reliably than if they had way too little power. You will be able to turn the gains down a little and have a very quiet tower system at idle ran this way. Make absolutely sure you have the hi-pass crossovers for both halves of the amp turned on, and with this much power, I think I might crank the crossovers up to 80 Hz or a little higher...

If one were to add the optional KM6500 mids, for a total of 4 mids and 2 horns, I would run the KM6500.2 set, (one mid and one horn per side) on half the amp in non-bridge mode, and then run the spare KM6500 mids, (one more mid per side) on the other half of the amp in non-bridge mode. That will deliver 120 watts out of each channel of the amp. This is less power than what you really want to run, but the amplifier is there already, and it is a best use of the power. Wired that way, the amp will operate quite well, stay cool, and should deliver fairly decent performance.

Good luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-20-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
I'd try the 12 by itself in the new location and see if that does the trick. I've never heard those before but if the performance matches the specs it should be good. So its a 2OHM DVC which means it is either 1ohm in parallel or 4ohm in series so if you added another you'd want to series the VC's on them and then parallel them back into that amp to show it a 2 ohm load but there again you'd be showing each 12 less than their recommended RMS of 1500. That amp at 2ohms is 1700 watts so each sub would see 850 watts still alot but below the RMS.

Again if it were me I'd wire the sub at 1 OHM and push the hell out of it.

You said you had them each wired at 2 OHM which you can do with the 10 but not the 12 so I'm not sure what load that amp was seeing.
Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
I will have to check on the 2 OHM for the sub... Either way im taking the 10 out of the boat at this point.. going to try just pushing the 12 as hard as i can. Im ordering the KM6500.2 and the KM6500 this week to put on the tower..Im hoping that the ZX650.4 will have enough juice to push them....Thanks for the input guys...
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
The Kicker RS65's are the cheapest speakers you can buy. Upgrading to the Wet Sounds XS-650's would be a huge upgrade, but they'd still be hard to hear at 80'.
Old     (bamaman2112)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Those RS65's were not cheap at all ($239 a pair) when i bought them.. I am taking them off the tower and putting them in the boat. They should do pretty well (i hope)