Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (matth)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-21-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
I was put on an animas insulin pump in may and I just went wakeboarding for the first time since I got put on the pump and I was wondering what other people did with there insets so the vest wouldnt rip them out.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-21-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
My dad is a diabetic with a pump. I don't recall what he does when he wakeboards but i'll ask him today and let you know.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-21-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
Wear a tight fitting rash guard or spandex top or wrap it with an ace bandage (or both). I don't have personal experience for an insulin pump, but it works great for stitches.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-21-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
There is clear bandage called OpSite or Tegaderm.
This bandage is usually left on the skin for several days and is impervious.
Comes in various sizes and is not cheap. Just make sure you put this on when your skin is dry.
If you know anyone who works in a hospital , ask them to get you a sample to see if it works before you spend the money on them.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have a Medtronic, and originally I had a lot of issues with the site coming out. A couple of things I learned were:

1) Use a razor and shave the hair off the area.
2) Put it on after a shower so you are clean and the skin is a little more relaxed.
3) Alcohol preps really clean off the oils from your skin for a better contact.
4) IV prep makes them stick a little better.
5) Tegaderm is good for extreme cases.
6) Carry an extra because you will be ripping some out.

The other thing I noticed was it may see loos and flap while wet, but once everything drys out again, it's usually ok. They also make 45 degree sets that could go in you thigh if the vest rubbing is the problem. Beyond that, I only carry enough insulin for about 3 days max, so teh only time I really worry is if I'm riding the same day I changed the set. It's actually much easier than shots.

Good luck!!
Eric
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-22-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
My 12 year old daughter also uses the medtronic with the Quick-set for her infusion site. She does her site on the top of her butt below the swimsuite line. we then cut a hole in the clear tape patch (I can't remember what its called)and put this over the site for extra hold. This allows her to snap in and out when she rides or just plays in the water.It works great, never had a site come out and shes taken some good falls. Plus shes playing in the water all day to boot.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-22-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
My wife uses the mini med pump and when she knows she will be on the water she will put it on her hip right below the belt line (sorta on her butt) and the vest is not an issue, but always carry three times what you need.