Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
especially those with v-drives. I can't count how many impellers I've mangled over the years trying to pry the impeller out of the housing. We picked up one of these last week and I used it today. The thing came out in like two seconds in perfect shape. No more bruised/bloody knuckles from my muffler! I'd reccomend picking one up. I got mine from www.fairfieldsupply.com. They were the cheapest I could find.Upload
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-23-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
Cheaper on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Impeller-Puller-Tool-for-Boat-Pumps-Stainless-LARGE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el111 6QQhashZitem230168415344QQitemZ230168415344QQptZBo atQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-23-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
i just changed mine with channel locks and a long screw driver, just grabbed the center and used the screw driver to pry, came out fast
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
Channel locks here. Who removes an impeller they aren't replacing anyways? Who cares if you F it up.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-24-2009, 5:43 AM Reply   
Two screwdrivers here. Insert on opposite sides and gently pry both sides at the same time. It doesn't even tear up the old impeller and you can keep it for a spare for emergency use.
Old     (nelson)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-24-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Spray a little WD40 in the hole and bump the engine pops the old one right out in perfect shape.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-24-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
Paint can openers work great, and they're free at most paint stores...
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-24-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Getting them out has always been easier than getting the new one in for me. I just take the fresh water pump/housing completely off anyway.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2009, 8:40 AM Reply   
Good post, My pump is pretty hard to get to I think. Its on the bottom passenger side corner of the engine. Merc 350 mag. Do any of you change the impeller without taking the whole pump and housing out of there??? That would save some time and effort I imagine. But I dont see the space????
Putting the new in---I found that if you take a ziptie about half way up the new impeller and slowly make it tighter while bending the fins back the correct way it slides right in very easy. Once new impeller is half way in the housing cut the tie and push the rest in by hand.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-24-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
I have same set up as you and I have never been able to change it without pulling the housing off. Just too darn tight back there. The Zip tie is a good idea. Another tip to coax the new one in is using a soap solution as lube. I don't like the idea of using petroleum based lubricants with rubber.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-24-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Those things right there are the only reason I took the ski pole out of my DD. I like the puller that is cool.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention, there are a few different sizes. The one posted above on ebay is the largest, and I doubt it would work on a ski boat.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
I used to use the paint can openers on my 205 & it was a breeze. But it's only possible to get one hand behind the muffler to get at the impeller. So heres the jerry rig I used to pull the impeller out of the Vride the last time.

Upload

Hold the strong in one hand. Hang the paint can opener behind the muffler. Using your other hand, stick the paint can opener between the fins of the impeller, hold it cocked at an angle so the tip can bite into the back of the impeller, and pull the string.

Came out the first try.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I use plumbers grease, it withstands high temperatures and its what they use to lube o-rings in faucet seals...so i feel safe on the rubber.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-27-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
I sprayed in a little binding slime, bumped the starter and pulled the impeller out by hand. The binding slime worked really well putting the new impeller in as well.