Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (m1tanker)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
I have wondered for a while maybe its just me but I havent ever really seen any riders that ride continuous rockers w/ knee injuries. I kno three stage boards are what everyone rides these days (myself included)haha but I cant ever remember seeing Sharpe, Shapiro, Murray (blew knee on a wakeskate not a wakeboard) Rusty ride with a knee brace. And these guys go the biggest!!! And some of the pros with the worst knees Watson (blown twice in 1 year), Parks, Shane, Byerly, Lyman, ride or rode agressive 3 stage boards. Myself personally I rode a Belmont for three years no problem with my knees and soon as I switched to a 3 stage byerly mine started hurting and blew about a year later. I know the 3-stage boards have come a long way with concaves and spines but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the correlation.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-19-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Lyman was riding his his Jobe continuous when he busted up his knees. Gator was riding old school continuous boards when he jacked himself (anyone going that large has it coming). Adam Errington has had some knee issues.

These guys are generally not tearing their knees on landings, as Lyman states in a recent interview its about how the water can grab the board and twist things unnaturally.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-19-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
Lyman used to ride continuous rocker boards. i still dont believe his current pro moedel is 3 stage. if it is, it definitely isnt an agressive or abrupt 3 stage.
Old    justinh            06-19-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
Lyman does ride an aggressive 3 stage.

I blew my knee on a continuous board.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
I've been riding continuous rocker boards since my knees really started bugging me a couple years ago. I've notice that continuous rocker makes things only a bit easier on my knees. I sometimes have to take weeks off at a time now cause I my knees hurt everyday. Boards that have big center spins and concave on the bottom also help, but you lose a lot of your speed with these boards too.
Old     (lfrider91)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-19-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Lymans current board from LF is an continuous and not an aggressive 3 stage
Old    benj_t            06-19-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Also Randall the Vandall has never had a knee injury and you know how huge he goes, but he rides a continuous rocker also
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-20-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Shapiro blew his knee out real bad about 2 years ago doing a speedball
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
no way
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-20-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
Randall also has braces on both knees but for preventative measures, but i suppose this has only been a somewhat recent thing in comparison to his wake life as a whole up to this point... not to provide a tangent in this thread
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-20-2009, 3:07 PM Reply   
I blew my knee on a cont' board. I don't really think it matters.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-20-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
I'm calling BS on Shapiro blowing out his knee. Got any references to back that up?
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2009, 9:45 PM Reply   
I went to Mexico with him and right before I went I got a call that the trip might be canceled cause he blew out his knee on a speedball, luckily he was a good sport and went anyway to teach me and some other people some stuff he just didn't ride, I have pictures to prove it if you want one