Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Just installed the fresh Air exhuast on my 2000 X-star. We water tested it yesterday afternoon. I have to say I was very impressed with the difference. At Idle, you can hardly tell the motor is running. Bubbling can be seen all around the back swim step. Exhaust seems somewhat minimized, but can still be smelled from the back swim step, doesn't seem to be nearly as much though. The FAE really shines once underpower. The exhaust gets swept back into the prop wash and out about 15 feet or so away from the rear exhaust pipes. All you hear is the purr of the engine, no exhaust noise whatsoever. The invisible cloud of fumes does not follow behind the boat at all like it normally does. The music from the tower speakers can be heard while wakeboarding much better with just the sound of the water splashing from the board. During wakesurfing is where the FAE works the best. I cannot smell any exhaust at all, and talking back and forth from the boat to the rider is like talking to someone in the boat (great for giving new riders direction).
The only negative I can find in just the initial water test we did is an ever so slight vibration at intitial throttle up, but this disipates very quickly once underpower. Turning left or right is not effected at any speed. I did notice a little 3 foot Sprinkler like spray before the Watertail at wakeboarding speeds from the water going around the FAE, but does not effect the ride at all. If the thing stays on, and I installed it correctly, then I would say that the FAE is worth every penny I spent. Just for the noise reduction alone, I would recommend it. The minimal exhaust is the big bonus though, as it is reduced dramatically as well. Just wanted to give a report, hope this helps anyone thinking about installing this aftermarket product on their boat.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
pics?
Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-02-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Any chance you could post some pics? I have been looking into this for my 1990 Sanger DX due to the noise levels. Also, are you taking a hit when it comes to power? I've heard that it's only on the top-end...
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
will have to get pics on the next outing, you could go on their website and look. They have a video demo and pics on other boats of the FAE installed. I think it is Freshairexhaust.com
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-02-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
As far as power, I did not notice any difference. We were 10 people in the boat and sacked out yesterday with no issues at riding speeds. We did open the boat up right after we launched to see what it was like. I don't normally go full throttle, but we got up to 43 MPH with 6 in the boat, so if there is a little off the top, I couldn't notice it.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-02-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
I just placed an order for one about 30 minutes ago. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Should be here early next week.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-02-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
Lucky did you make a group purchase on tigeowners? What type of boat do you have? I would love and update once you get it and run it.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
Spent the weekend on the boat, camping and exploring the columbia and Willamette rivers. Madit all the way up to Longview from Willamette park. We really got to test the FAE. after about 20 hours now on the boat since installation, I notice a couple of things. Either my speedo is being affected, or you have to go about 1-2 MPH faster to get the same wake. For example, we always pull around 23-23.5 when wakeboarding. This past weekend we were pulling at 25 mph. Seemed real fast to me, but all of the riders said that it felt the same, which had me wondering if my speedo was off due to the installation. Perhaps others have noticed this as well? Otherwise, everything else I reported is still the same. It feels very weird when starting up the boat, not to hear the exhaust chirp at you, to know it is running. I have to rely on my gauges a little more now. otherwise I love it.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-07-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
how much was it and how hard to install, and pics?
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-07-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
Coach
Yes, it's an '06 22V. Hopefully I'll get it installed this week and get it out on the water to test.
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-07-2006, 11:00 AM Reply   
$350, took about 2-3 hours to install. Pics can be found on their website. The toughest part about the install is the stainless steel Support bar that goes under the swim step. Attaching the FAE to the exhaust is easy, attaching the FAE to the Support is a bit tougher.
Old     (styk33)      Join Date: Aug 2004 Location: NorCal       08-07-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
Chris, do you have PP, or is it a pieze speed sensor?
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-08-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
James,
I have the older version perfect pass, and that is what I have been using for my Speed. My MPH gauge quit working a couple of years ago. Haven't fixed it as we always used the digital output for perfect pass as our speed indicator. Why do you ask
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       08-08-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
I had a nautique 210 with GT-40 and now a 211 with EX330 and have never thought about the exhaust being too loud. On my 211 I can hardly tell if it is running or not without looking at the tach. Am I deaf or are nautiques somewhat quieter?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
Nautiques are way quieter.

I've had the FAE on my '02 VLX for almost four months now and here's my experience with the good and bad of it.

The good:
1. The unit was simple to install. (about 4 hours of work)
2. It is super quiet and my boat sounds like a stern drive now. I can really hear my tower speakers and you can carry on normal conversations in the boat.
3. There's no fumes at all while surfing.

The bad:
1. It comes shipped with blue tape over some of the pipe clamps. The tension of these clamps were supposed to be preset and they tell you not to tighten them. I had the FAE come apart at one of these clamps the first weekend out. I'd recommend tightening ALL the clamps.
2. The unit has come apart three other times, so I'll have to check the clamps on a regular basis.
3. Last night the steel flanges that go between the boat and the FAE broke off. The welds between the flat plate attached to the boat and the pipe that attaches to the rubber tubes broke. I think the force and vibration that is placed on the FAE snorkle was too much for the welds to handle after awhile. (I rarely go over 30mph and I don't drive crazy either)

Overall, it's a great idea, but I think some of the engineering aspects need to be fine tuned.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
tuneman,

do you have the wedge installed on your vlx ?
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-09-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Tuneman,
thanks for the input, I will be checking mine from time to time as well seeing that you had problems with tightening. I didn't see the note on the directions not to tighten the clamps with the blue tape, so I tightened them down pretty good (probably a good thing). I don't know why they would ask you not to check and tighten them. Doesn't really make sense. When the FAE came apart on you, you didn't lose any components into the water? That would be my biggest fear, and if I did, well, then I would just go back to going without it.
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-09-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
tuneman,
Have you contacted FAE about your problems? They seem to be really helpful when I have spoken with them. I'd like to see what they have to say about the problems.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
No, I don't have the wedge. They don't make a FAE for a wedge equipped 'Bu.

I never lost any parts. It would just pop apart and I'd just hook it back up.

No, I haven't contacted them yet, but I need to. They actually sent me one to evaluate and do an article on (I run kneeboardplanet.com). They definitely are great folks to deal with and I'll be contacting them soon to give my input on development.

I certainly wouldn't write off the FAE, though, because the concept is fantastic.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-10-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Tuneman, some of the "bad" aspects you listed are pretty significant IMO. If they were, it scratched easy or the finsh wasn't good, I could understand. But breaking at the weld and things popping off are pretty serious mechanical faliures.