Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jthst)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-06-2011, 4:25 AM Reply   
My boat has 145 hours and the gasket is blowing out for the second time. Boat is nor yet 3 years old and I believe it is a 4 year warranty on the motor. Engine is Merc Scorpion 330. Hopefully it is covered by warranty (but for some reason wasn't the first time). Any thoughts on how to prevent? Does anyone know of a Merc service bulletin on the subject? Should they also be replacing the manifolds and/or the heads because that is where the real problem is and the gasket is just a symptom?
Old     (sunsport22v)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-07-2011, 5:56 AM Reply   
I had an 2007 indmar - with problems too. The latest was the fittings for the cooling hose for the exhaust manifold. The good news, that only cost $5.00, the bad is that I need the world's longest engine flush for $600.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-07-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
Is yours a 2007?The Scorp in my 2007 V 212 blew out on both sides within about the same time frame as yours as did at least one side of another 2007 Supreme at the dealer where I bought mine.I have not had a problem in the 2 seasons since they were replaced though.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-07-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Ditch the cheap paper gaskets and put a pair of Remflex gaskets on there. They are thick graphite gaskets that compress significantly and seal very well. If they blow out, Remflex will send you a new pair free within the warranty period. I had one fail, that was more than likely due to an old crappy header with a rusty collector and they sent me a new pair pronto, even past the warranty period. No questions asked and they were very apologetic for it failing. Another time a week went by and I didn't have some header gaskets I ordered. I called and them and they said the post office lost them, so they overnighted me a new pair and swallowed the loss. I use them for every exhaust gasket I ever have to replace. Top notch stuff and they are serious about customer service. www.remflex.com
Old     (jthst)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-10-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I have booked it in to be serviced and the dealership says it will be warrantied. Worries me a bit if it continues to happen even after it's off warranty.
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-10-2011, 10:00 PM Reply   
The remflex gaskets kick ass. Run them on headers on my truck, no issues! Unbelievable material.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-11-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
Merc had a huge problem with this. I was an old Centurion rep and I myself went through 6 yes 6 gaskets on 3 of the boats.

The first was due to to being warped. My dealership at the time just just taking off the gaskets and using gasket dealer instead. That seemed to eliminate the issue. I for sure would complain to Merc. It was 03-05 Engines. The towsports and the scorpions. Usually around 100hrs
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
I did both of mine on a 03 engine. It was super easy to do and I have put 700hrs on the motor since then with zero issues.