Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-20-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
So I started trying this trick yesterday & was hoping to get some pointers. I'm grabbing Indy off the wake and when I pass from left to right hand (I'm left foot forward), I have hell of a time getting around (trying to land wrapped). I'm looking for the shoreline I'm headed to and everything (perhaps late though). Should I try & cork it off the wake a little extra? I think I'm worrying too much about the grab but I want to make it look legit. Any help is appreciated.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-21-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
one of my homeboys has this and his almost looks like a couple of seperate moves in one. he pops and does the first 180 and then he grabs and takes it to blind with the indy grab. it looks kind of robotic but fluid at the same time if that makes sense.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-22-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
you're probably stalling out too much while trying to get the grab. while i agree you need to get the grab first, try to the let the board drift into that first 180 during the grab that way when you switch hands and pull with your right hand, you're not starting the spin from scratch....you'll have a little momentum on your side. good luck!

p.s. whatever you do, don't cork it off the wake....you'll never get the grab!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I kinda already do that. My TS Indy is more of a shifty, so when I am trying the 3 I am facing the boat but getting stuck at about 300. After watching some videos, I think I need to get the grab and when I switch from left to right hand, really snap the handle hard into the small of my back. I think I'm relying on my head/shoulders to lead the rotation and I'm not getting a good enough pull. Does that sound right to you? I can't wait for Saturday, this shizz is getting stomped.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-22-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
sounds like you're right there. I'm assuming you can already land the 3 without the grab, so I'll say this: you know how you can just let the momentum of the first 180 and handle pass bring you around on the regular 3.....well, like you said, you can't really do that with indy 3. it just seems like the extra motion of reaching for the grab and the extra handle pass (left to right) slows the spin way down....which is good for those of us who always....and I mean ALWAYS....over rotate the regular 3!

anyway, give that handle a good strong (but steady) pull....you don't want to yank yourself off-axis. and remember, exhaggerate the handle down toward your butt so it actually gets to the small of your back.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-24-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
so i was out last nite and i started in on these. my problem is i'm sliding out on my heels the majority of the time the other times i'm landing blind and riding away but just popping the handle.

i can't seem to get over my toes enough. Heavy you get these consistent? anyone else go anything?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2008, 12:01 AM Reply   
I've been trying these too. When I reach for the grab, I can feel the handle getting pulled away from me. I bail out here and stop at 180 because I know I won't get around with the handle pulling away from me. More muscle?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2008, 7:08 AM Reply   
Stephan
One thing that helps me is to squeeze the handle. When I do a 5, I just regrab and look at the boat, but to stop @ 3, I come off the wake, go for the grab and then squeeze the handle. I think by concentrating on squeezing the handle, I tend to pull to the center of my back without under/overrotating.

When are youo coming back this way?
Had a blast.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
i think i'm going to try a few w/ a mute grab tonite...
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
The mute grab is way easier cause you don't have to pass the handle. I usually do stale ts fs 360s for back handed grabed 3s. It is actually easier for me to do them with a back hand grab rather than a front hand grab cause that is how I will usually grab for ts5s.

To me the key to getting this trick with any back hand grab is to try to spin the trick while you are grabbing. First off I load the line with my back hand and when I come off the wake I let go with my back hand and reach down for the grab while pulling the handle to my back hip with my front hand. I will usually hold the grab until my board has rotated past the 180, (like 200), then the handle is right there for the pass and it will still be tight. I pass and pull to blind and that gives me that slack I need to get myself in to a comfy landing position. I usually reach around and pass the handle on the landing instead of landing wrapped, but sometimes it just happens. I had a big problem sliding out on my heels as well and was able to stop that by really waiting to spin. I got that pointer from over rotating so many times from pulling the last 180 early on switch ts 360s. Hope all that made sence.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-25-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I was thinking stale too.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-25-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Do it dude it is much easier to make the trick flow unless you really bring up the knees on the indy grab. Tail is fun to but for me is the hardest to grab.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-25-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
hmmmmm...good stuff robert

we're still tryin to make it to TSR one of these days. i havent forgotten ab you
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-27-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ha, right on well I still haven't gotten fired for consitantly putting hours on the demo boats here at work so you guys are always more than welcome to come down for a pull. We also just got our insurance squared away for our wakeboard school in Gonzales, Tx. I have a buddy with a SICK set up on a 33 acre private lake. 210, jetski, and a johnboat in the water, launch ramp, dock, and 9 rails standing as of now. We also have accomadations on the ranch as well. It is awesome. http://www.maverickwakeboardranch.com/

You guys should come down sometime for sure. This place is close to Austin and SA., and some sick rivers to ride also.

(end Hijack)