Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-19-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
After winter it may be time to purchase my first boat.... With that being said I have searched around and have stumbled across a 98 sportster. Just curious if yall had any information on them.
- Good ski boat? Average wakeboard boat?
- Overall weight of the boat? (cant seem to find, tow purposes)
- What do you all think the boat is worth? (has 650 hours, very clean)

Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-19-2011, 6:08 PM Reply   
Great ski boat. Not so great wake boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Pass.... one of the smallest boats/wakes out there.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-20-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
I had a '98 Sportster for 6 years that I bought from a repo company and thought it was a great first boat. It had a great ski wake and with the wedge and about 500lbs of ballast the wake was not too bad. Here are some pictures with that set up. The storage was pretty brutal and if you had a body in the bow you were bound to take in some water. It is pretty much what you would expect from a small low freeboard boat. I can't complain of how it held up mechanically though. I never had any issues with it and had about 900 hours by the time I sold it.
Attached Images

Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-20-2011, 8:36 PM Reply   
Nothing drives worse than one of these boats with the early style wedge. Makes the boat drive like a tank and tears up the steering components. But the info is correct that with wedge and 500 in the bow it will produce a decent wake but at a price. There are alot better choices is my opinion.
Old    Swass            09-22-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Are you basing this on personal experience? I had a '99 Response LX with a Wedge until April of this year. It was a sports car on water. We used the Wedge, two side sacks and sand in the bow. Steering was smooth as silk from day one. Aside from watching the bow when hitting a roller, we had no issues with handling or steering. The Response is a little bigger than what you're looking at, but they're basically the same boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake_upppp View Post
Nothing drives worse than one of these boats with the early style wedge. Makes the boat drive like a tank and tears up the steering components. But the info is correct that with wedge and 500 in the bow it will produce a decent wake but at a price. There are alot better choices is my opinion.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-20-2011, 10:41 PM Reply   
I would say it's worth it in the $8-$10k range, their probably asking like $12 though I would assume.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-21-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the quick info. About what I expected. I split time wakeboarding and skiing (ya ya) so we will see.. Im in no rush with winter approaching, so Im going to look around a bit still. Any other options throw them out, I have up to about 15000 or so.

Btw hes asking 10500 with a tower racks..... so seemed like a decent deal to me.