Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Its been a while since I got a new wakeboard. Im riding a hyperlite belmont 141, and am thinking about a ronix colvin. Just wondering if the new light weight boards have changed the sizing chart. The colvin is available in a 133, 138, and 143. I am 6'2 180lbs so I would think I would be a 143. Also can anyone comment on the Colvin board itself. I know there were some issues with the Ronix 1 and I am wondering if the Colvin has had the same issues?
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-20-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
As far as the sizing chart goes; It's really personal preference. At your weight you could ride either the 138 or 143. Do you like the way a larger board rides with the increased stability, or the speed and control a smaller board provides. There is no RIGHT board size it's more of whatever is right for you.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I'm not really sure. I would probably say the stability and stance width of a 143. The problem is my skill level is at a plateau and I have not progressed in a long time except for going bigger with grabs and stuff. I want to get into the spins and flips, but i dont have the confidence it try inverts and stuff. So i want a "pro level" board like the colvin in the size that is going to help me progress, and not be to small if i do progress
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-20-2007, 1:24 PM Reply   
most likely, as you progress you will start to prefer a smaller board.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-20-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
See this is why it's good to try out different boards and sizes. Because everyone is different. See as I began to progress I moved from a 138 to a 142 and have never looked back. The larger board just feels more stable to me and is just more comfortable.
IMO if your currently on a 141, the board doesn't feel big to you, and you ride it comfortably then stepping to a 143 will be more natural then dropping to a 138 and probably a easier change.
If you can though try someone elses board in that size or rent one if possible, otherwise you do take the risk of not liking a $300 board you just bought. I've done it and it sucks.
Old    K.B.C.            11-20-2007, 1:42 PM Reply   
I disagree with the comment about wanting a smaller board as you progress. I'm about your size and ride a 143. I love it.

If I were you I would go with the 143. A 138 is a little small for someone your size IMO. You could go with something aroud a 140, but I personally wouldn't go any smaller than that.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-20-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
i rode the covin for a couple months and the 143 felt wayy too big... felt like u were wakeboarding with gum stuck to the bottom. I'm 6'1 183 ... but it does give you a little more pop. personally i really liked the 138. but coming from a hyperlite... i feel like that the ronix is going to feel light on you anyways ... I absolutely loved the Covin... great pop, light, and it looks bad ass... only thing that a lot of people seem to agree with me is that the thing lands like a rock... (unless u have good form everytime you land i.e. land edging away and still moving..) but still didnt like the 07 covin more than my 06 shane, so i returned it.... demo demo demo
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2007, 4:13 PM Reply   
I like my old school belmont but it feels really heavy. I wouldnt mind an upgrade. The other problem is living in massachusetts, wakeboard demos come across about as often as reef girls
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
eric- i think the board is called the covin. no L in the name. not gettin on your case. just tryin to help you out.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-20-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
jason- no harm done, I would dare call myself illiterate so its covin...that explains why it did not show up much on a google search
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-20-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
yea thats exactly why i said somethin bout it.
Old     (cgoode)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-20-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
I am still a beginner so i have not ridden to many boards but i am 6'3 245lbs and ride a 139 hyplt 3DS and feel lighter and faster on the water than i do on my brothers 143 obrien player. There is only 1-1/2 inch difference in the boards. That is like adding 3/4 of an inch to the tip and tale. So is this much
|<------>| that big a deal..
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-21-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
well, it can be that big of a deal because of your stance options for one thing, go out and move your bindings in an inche and a half closer and see how weird it feels. the other thing that comes with length is width, which is why people say bigger boards pop easier, because they are wider. but with width comes drag which causes the board to move slower in the water. the other thing is that the length also affects the amount of rocker and where the rocker is placed in relation to your stance which can change pop from being controlled to feeling like you're getting bucked off the wake.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-21-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
on the same breath in terms of length and width causing drag, it also gives you more surface area so you sit higher on the water with less drag. That would be my thought
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-21-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
you would think so, but all of this talk about how a longer board is more stable, well a board that rides higher in the water is looser. it is all about personal preferance. i know thats not what you like to hear, i don't either. i'm from southern iowa so i don't get to demo anything either. but, you do need to ride a couple boards, borrow friends and put your bindings on their board or their old board, or buy a couple used off ebay, and then see what you like about them. after this it may take a couple weeks and maybe a hundred in old boards but you didn't waste $300 on a new board and not like it. anyways, after that combine what you liked about each board, length, width, rocker style, amount of rocker, how deep the board rode, how deep the rails were, with or without fins, different size fins, landings, etc. and then call a board shop and say hey i'm looking for blah blah blah, and they say ok i think this will be a good fit. that what i try to do when i'm looking for things that i can't demo, even handles and vests.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-22-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
thats true. Ive ridden a fair share of boards, ive been riding for almost 10 years. But the only 138 i have ridden i didnt really care for. It felt to small. I now use it when i do sliders, aka a beater board. I might be considering a 07 murray