Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 20, 2007

Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
yo im pretty new to wakeboarding and some ppl told me to work on edging what is it?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
You Jokeing? Or Serious?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
trevor be nice.

edging is the approach you take to the wake.

like how you cut in sort of.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
o ok lol sry i just jumped on my board and didnt really learn the terms that come with wakeboarding im just starting to land 180's and some grabs with 180's and thats about as far as i got so far.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
I wasn't Trying To Be Mean, I Saw A Lot Of Posts From Zach And Figured He Was Good, Just Not Too Funny.

Edging Is How You Turn On A Wakeboard.

If You Need To Work On Your Edging You Need To Cut In Harder When Jumping The Wake.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
ya i have i just didnt know that was the term for it only been riding for like 2 months and dont know alot out it but im doing my best to learn and learn new tricks and stuff.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
i need to work alot on my toe side jumps and stuff jumping from heal side im doing pretty good landing most of my 180's and grabs but thats about it right now.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-06-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Yea No One Likes Toeside.

Just Cut In Hard, Hold On, Keep Your Position, Chest Up, And Hope You Don't Fall.

Sometimes Holding On With Just You Front Hand Will Help You Staighten Out.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-06-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
edging is what you do after you mow
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2007, 5:24 PM Reply   
Edging would be using the edges of your board to initiate turns.

Toeside can be a real pain to learn, but I've found that it helps to keep the rope low and close to your lead hip and focus on putting weight over your front foot. I would always be leaning way back get no pop. Also, I reccomend learning your toeside jumps while keeping both hands on the handle at first, and then once you get that down it will make grabs and maintaining your body position in the air easier.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
ya i think its also kinda easier to do a 180 that way to though from what i have been doing.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-06-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
One thing about edging on a wakeboard is to really focus on a progressive edge. This means you slowly initiate the turn-in and build the edge all the way up the wake. You want your hardest edge to be just before you release off the wake.

Seriously...buy "the book". It's almost as good an investment as your wakeboard.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-06-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
Zack, I highly suggest you read this article on "edging techniques".

http://midwestwakeboarder.com/modules/articles/item.php?itemid=3
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-06-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
yo thanks alot for the article.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-07-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
This is the hardest part for me is actually getting on edge. I have the progressive part down and am strong enough i can start building early. But I ride in on the fins way too much I think. You have to sit back and lift with your toes to get on the board on edge?

If i took off the fins that would teach me to ride on the board's edges instead of the fins, right? I'm using a 2004 Temet.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-07-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
gerald, yes it would. fins help keep the board tracking when the edges aren't diggin in. take em off, you'll have to use your edge. it will be very easy with that board to get a feel for the edges.

if any of you guys have the book, i highly recommend the edging drills. i got the book last year and the edging drills really help you learn to control the board. trying to bring the 180s into the warm-up. i noticed an improvement the second time i did the drills.

remember: you edge hardest at the wake, whether approaching or riding away.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-07-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Cool! Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to get out tomorrow to try.
Old     (liquidforce1338)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-07-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
read the article that midwestwakeboarder.com left it helps you alot i just read it like 10 times and im get out tomarrow and try it all 2, i might also buy "The Book" to though becuase everyone that i have talked to that has used it said that it has advanced there riding to lvls that they thought they would never reach.