Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-11-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
just wondering what you all think, but do I need to winterize my boat if is going to be in a heated storage unit all winter. I have talked my dealer and they say yes, what if the power goes out, or what if.....I don't know if they are just wanting more $ or trying to scare me. My unit is in the middle of garage based business, so I'm not worried about losing heat. Will it hurt to let it sit all winter without starting it? thanks
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-11-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
sorry about the thread title Don't know what happened. I was never good at proofreading
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
First of all, you can probably winterize your boat for a lot cheaper than what the dealer is charging. If you are even somewhat mechanical, it is about an hour job or less.

Second, the reason to winterize is because antifreeze has non-corrosive properties. Because you will be storing the boat for multipe months, you dont want water sitting in the engine and rusting it.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-12-2007, 12:35 AM Reply   
i wouldnt winterize but it also depends on how often the power will go out and for how long. also if the power does go out and it causes damage to your boat will the storage company pay for the for damages
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-12-2007, 5:18 AM Reply   
I would stabil the fuel and drop the water out but reconnect all hoses to be ready to take out. Even with a heater core it only takes 15 min.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
I know several guys that don't.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-12-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
I never winterize as my boat is in my heated garage. Helps that I am in NC and it is rare that it is cold enough long enough for it to freeze.

Provided that the storage garage does not get opened up to outside cold air, you would have to have a week or more of below freezing temps in order for the inside of the garage to get cold enough that the inside of the engine compartnent will get cold enought to even come close to freexing the block.

Heater core is a different beast though...
Old     (mr_nuggieborn)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-12-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
we had Five cracked blocks last year and about ten heater cores broke....three of the five cracked blocks said they keep it in a heated storage unit. It all depends on you, but its not uncommon to see damage in a "heated" storage facility or at least the customer said it was heated. That might be a big gamble to some people who would weigh a 17,000 engine replacement to a couple hundred dollar winterization fee, or just learn to do it your self online. (it is pretty easy once you know where all the plugs are, what hose's to remove and how to blow out your heater core.)
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
$17,000 engine replacement? Ouch!

I bought a project boat last year that had a cracked block, and it cost $4500 to have the MC dealer replace the engine. It was a Jasper re-manufactured engine.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-12-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
To each there own, but I have not winterized a boat in the last 5 years. Granted, I live in North Texas and it doesn't stay below freezing for very long, but we still usually average about 10 days in the 20's each winter.

The main reason that I do not winterize is because I ride all year round, even during the winter. However, this doesn't mean that I still don't have to protect my boat from freezing temperatures. After each use during the winter months I drain my blocks, manifolds, V-drive, and ballast system. Start to finish it takes 10 minutes tops to drain.

I also run Sta-Bil in my gas tank all winter round just to keep the gas fresh as well as the seals, etc fresh from the times when my boat may sit for 2-3 weeks.

With that said, if your boat is being kept in a heated garage I would think that you would be okay. To be on the safe side, you could drain the block, manifolds, V-drive, and ballast system yourself and still be alright in the event of a power outage. You definitely should run some Sta-Bil through the fuel system before you let your boat sit for an extended period of time. If you plan on letting it sit for 3-6 months then you should follow the fogging procedure from the manufacturer.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-12-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
i heard that if you just drop any kind of light in the engine compartment the heat off it will keep things warm enough in there
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-12-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Doesn't matter if you are storing your boat in freezing temps outside or heated garage, you should still stabilize gas and fog the engine. I would also drain the engine and any balast just to be safe.

The guys saying I don't winterize, but drain my block are still doing the most critical winterization step.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-12-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
To clarify, by saying I haven't winterized my boat in 5 years, I meant to say that I haven't taken it to a dealer and paid them to do it. Like you said, draining the block, etc is the most critical part. It's so simple to do yourself and unless your boat is going to lay up for 6 months there's no need to give your hard earned money to your dealer to do things that may not be necessary to your situation.
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-12-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
I'm in complete control of the heater in the unit and the garage door it also has a regular door to enter from. If I just drain the water out and stabil the gas I think I should be just fine. I just don't want to take any chances
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2007, 5:16 PM Reply   
Sugadance,

Next time that happens call me. I'll replace those engines for $14,999.99 each.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-12-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Yeah Dubbe, you should be fine. It is a good time to do the oil changes though. Some acids build up over a season of running and they get changed out with the oil. Then you're ready for next season.
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-13-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Can you guys expand on a few things for me? I bought our first inboard in June. It's a 2007 Moomba Outback. We live in Houston, Tx, so it rarely freezes but sometimes it does. We used to have a SeaRay I/O, and when the temp dropped I drained the block. There was a plastic blue plug, all I had to do was unscrew it and all the water drained out. That's all I did. Does anyone know offhand if the 07 Outbacks have a similar plug? Also, what does "fog" the engine mean? Anything else I need to do? We usually try and take the boat out at least once a month in the offseason just to run it. Thanks in advance...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-13-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
Fog the engine means to coat the inside of the engine with an oil that prevents corrosion. You can use two stroke engine oil and gasoline mixed 10:1 through the fuel system, or a "fog" spray through the throttle like CRC makes, or take the plugs out and mist two stroke oil or ATF through the hole and reinstall the plug.
Your engine will smoke when you refire it next season but surface rust doesn't form so your ring and valve seal stays better.

Mercruiser uses the blue plugs, I don't know what the others use but the drains are still there.
Old     (gabriel63)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-18-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
hey Art where would u spray on a fuel injection
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-18-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
Art, I never winterize as I try and get a run in during the winter months but this year I will be deployed. My baby will be in the garage, I have already changed the oil and done a 200 hour service on her but I really don't want to pay to winterize, really just fog the motor, but I've never fogged before.

So I could just go to wal-mart buy any basic 2 stroke oil, put it in a spray bottle and 2 squirts in each spark plug hole and thats it? No turning the motor over or nothing?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Yep, that would do it Kenny. While you have the plugs out it's easy to turn the engine a couple times if you want. Do it by hand or disconnect the power wire plug from the distributor and bump the starter to give a couple of revolutions.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-18-2007, 8:44 PM Reply   
Gabriel, with fuel injection it's a pain so you just spray into the cylinders. Mercruiser has a technique to do it the basically goes as follows:
Mix fuel and 2 stroke oil 10:1 (Normally 50 or 100 to 1) and add fuel stabilizer in a pail.
Run a line from the pail to the intake of the fuel pump or filter.
Run the engine for 10-15 minutes, and turn it off for the winter.
It depends on how much a pain it is to get at the spark plug holes.

That should be good for any injected engine.

(Message edited by rallyart on October 18, 2007)
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-19-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/507764.html?1191439273
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-19-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Kenny, I guess you could put oil in a spray bottle, but it is easier to use the Engine Fogging Oil that comes in an aerosol can. You typically won't find it at Wal-Mart or even at an auto parts store. Go to a either a marine specialty store (a place that sells outboards), or any motorcycle or four-wheeler shop.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-19-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
alright got my can, actually mercruiser brand for $6.99. How about lubing up my steering cable, rudder and prop shaft that I have seen other recommend?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-03-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
alright pulled the plugs shot 2x into each cyclinder re-installed plugs, turned motor over a few times (coil plug pulled).

Thats it, I hope cause in a few hours I am on the plane to IRAQ..
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-03-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
Don't be a hero. Good luck.