Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-11-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
Remember when Fuel TV had some pretty good shows on. I always looked forward to a new episode of Pull. There was also some good wake stuff on insane cinema and My first hand. Is there really that many people out there that want to watch MMA and crappy kung fu flicks 24/7? It's almost like when MTV stopped playing music videos. Really wish someone would start another extreme sports channel.
Old    9Drozd            05-11-2012, 8:38 PM Reply   
I feel the same way. Always looked forward to seeing PULL. Even if it was a rerun. I cant stand seeing MMA all the freaking time now.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2012, 9:27 PM Reply   
I cancelled the Fuel package. Fuel sucks now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2012, 4:56 AM Reply   
good idea... cancel fuel package.. havent watched in a year!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-12-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
Agreed. They should change their name to the MMA network.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
Yeah the new president of Fuel is part of the Fox network and that why you see mma on fuel and fx now. It's taking over big time and it sucks. Just wasn't a big enough following for the action sports on tv. They don't even show that much skateboarding, snowboarding, and surfing like they used to. I think I'll cancel my fuel package as well.
Old     (fgcuwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-12-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
ya they had a big article a while ago about the doosher (president of fuel) and how he had big changes for the network. It seems like they lost their core following of shred stick shredders and gained the following of affliction wearing poser fighters. Man I miss pull and first hand though!!!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-12-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
I cancelled my Fuel package a couple weeks ago. Never watched it anymore.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-12-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
What a shame, it presented our sport in such a good light too.
Old     (Rob720)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-12-2012, 9:21 AM Reply   
Yep sure does suck! even though they used to show tons of reruns at least it was action sports. It seems like it went from good shows, to stupid reality shows that at least still had some action sports personalities, to pretty much just fighting. That seems to be all people in my city care about anyhow... what a shame, think ill cancel my fuel package as well
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-13-2012, 5:47 AM Reply   
im gonna cancel today :/
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-13-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
MMA is awesome, but ya, this is really sad. It's the same way I felt when SPEED channel started showing NASCAR 24/7.
Old     (JordanV)      Join Date: May 2012       05-17-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
As much as i love watching MMA its just on to much and it gets boring after seeing it so much.... i miss all the surfing, skating and wakeboarding shows it was just different
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I canceled mine too.. they have way to many reruns. MX, and MMA shows... I starting to actually miss the surfing all day.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-17-2012, 10:03 AM Reply   
Man, I've posted FB status updates about this 3 times or so now. SO PISSED at Fuel TV. Change the name to MMA TV but quit teasing us. EVERY NIGHT....MMA. How much can we take. Then they come out with a new show and put it on at 11pm. What a joke. I remember many a weekend and chill night where you could turn it on and watch some great shredding of some type. Damn the man (FOX).

BTW, I love when they post random FB updates and peoples comments are completely irrelevant just ripping thier choices.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-17-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
I feel like I should chime in here as their former wakeboarding editor.

They tried. At least online - they tried. You guys didn't come to their party. Just kidding.
I mean that wake traffic was always lowest, and this was the issue with viewership too.

Though they partnered with great folks like Alliance, Heavener, McKee, all have gotten work onto FUEL and made it better. While wakeboarding was part of their goals as a company, I think they killed it. Did awesome. Pushed me hard and we got shows like Pull. But in their eyes, nobody was watching and nobody was coming to the web site.

I won't name names but my boss was an absolute tyrant about site traffic. In the mean time, wakeboarding & wakeskating (because they wanted to cover both) were reduced to just "wake" in lowercase letters, last on the navigation bar.

Which was the biggest doorway to my section.

My section was great. I got to do features with heavyweights like Josh Letchworth, who I declared as the "Dean of Wakeboarding Photography". I wrote up a great feature with him and now it is reduced to this: http://fueltv.mo2do.net/s/5460/Results. And that is the case for my thing with Soderlind, a handful of pro's and boat company execs. The traffic wasn't there so they tried some dippydingle in Florida with apparent connections and he did ok for awhile and then they axed the section shortly thereafter. Him and me both.

I put so much work into that site. I am sad to see what they are doing too.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 05-17-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
NBC Sports/Versus seems to be the only one covering wake anymore
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       05-22-2012, 12:44 PM Reply   
Yup. Our sport goes up and down in terms of coverage on tv and at present it is down. We definitely had a high point with Pull. Great series. I don't really know what Fuel's plan is anymore. I know they must not care much about wake right now because it is buried on te web site.

Last edited by juniorhawk; 05-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old     (norwalkbeast)      Join Date: May 2011       05-23-2012, 7:51 PM Reply   
I use to watch Fuel all the time and now its only surfing and MMA. It sucks!!