Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-28-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
Nothing as bad as the Hoochie gone wrong but I thought id share.

I was doing a double-S at McCormicks and over rotated it a bit and just barely caught the nose. I continued to rotate the spin backside while hitting the water. Upon impact the helmet cracked and my boot ripped out. After the fall I got vertigo and attempted to swim toward the bottom until my vest pulled me up. I felt like I was about to pass out, got to the shore and had to lay there for a second.
I'm feeling alright now but my neck is pretty stiff. I'm glad I was wearing a helmet for that one.

Name:  crazy fall breakage.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  35.1 KB
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-28-2010, 10:39 PM Reply   
holy cow man, that helmet definately saved you, hope your alright besides the neck stiffness.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-28-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
Makes a strong case for helmets, approved vests, and gorilla glue.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-28-2010, 11:38 PM Reply   
Wow!! Good thing your alright. Never could imagine that happening from hitting the water. I've had the edge of my helmet catch in a fall and rip the straps clean off the shell, but yours takes the cake. So is pro-tec gonna warranty your helmet?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-28-2010, 11:44 PM Reply   
damn man. looks like the helmet payed off. if i could still ride i would be wearing one!!! its definitely one of those things you don't realize you love until you take a hard spill.
doubt they would warranty it granted it did its job. most helmets are only good for 1 impact anyways, or as stated by most manufactures. my capix skatecap says it too.

i love mine by the way, use it when i bmx and skate bowls, they make a water version of it! check it out! since your in the markey for a new helmet lol..
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2010, 5:30 AM Reply   
Holy crap man... I gotta say one thing, I'm glad the title of this thread was "Cracked my HELMET" in stead of "my HEAD". Take care man, glad you're alright.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
Looks new or like you kept it in good condition too
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2010, 8:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyski1 View Post
Makes a strong case for helmets, approved vests, and gorilla glue.
+1. Except I'm guessing the glue is a joke. Now that you know your helmet saved you, definitely don't glue it.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-30-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
www.ShredReady.com
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-30-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
So is pro-tec gonna warranty your helmet?
I got a good laugh out of that. That's like eating a sandwich, pinching a loaf, and then trying to return the turd.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-31-2010, 9:09 PM Reply   
So your helmet cracked from hitting the water?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-31-2010, 10:57 PM Reply   
Hahaha! I gotta good laugh out of yours as well
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       11-01-2010, 4:42 AM Reply   
nice
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-01-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
I dont know how anyone else feels about this, but if your helmet cracks from hitting the water its a pretty terrible helmet.

My old skating helmet didn't crack when I fell 7 feet headfirst tot he bottom of a half pipe, and my snowboard helmet has bounced off rails before and just has some wear and tear.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-01-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hco View Post
I dont know how anyone else feels about this, but if your helmet cracks from hitting the water its a pretty terrible helmet.

My old skating helmet didn't crack when I fell 7 feet headfirst tot he bottom of a half pipe, and my snowboard helmet has bounced off rails before and just has some wear and tear.
do you know how surface tension works? ever seen a drag boat turn into shredded cheese?
if your legs break from hitting the water, you have some pretty terrible legs...but pay no attention to the fact that you just jumped off a 100 ft cliff into the water...

you cant compare hitting a snowboard helmet on a rail, a skate helmet to hitting wood, and a wake helmet hitting the water. totally different animals.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-01-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
i broke my tail bone on a failed raley attempt. i guess my ass ain't very well made.lol even though my wife thinks it is.lmao
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
Quote:

Technically you should replace your snowboard helmet then
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-02-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
beaver and boats- I'm not a physics major, but I also know that your head is not hitting the water as hard as a 100 ft. cliff dive or a 100+ mph boat crash.

Behind the boat- I just came to the realization that I will never get good at rail riding and I don't feel like wrecking myself on a weekly basis. I just ride without a bucket now.

Someone feel like calculating the amount of force it would take to crack plastic from smacking the water?
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-02-2010, 6:36 PM Reply   
I'd say the same amount of force it takes to rip a binding off a board...
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-02-2010, 10:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobenglish View Post
I'd say the same amount of force it takes to rip a binding off a board...
+1
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2010, 11:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
beaver and boats- I'm not a physics major, but I also know that your head is not hitting the water as hard as a 100 ft. cliff dive or a 100+ mph boat crash.

Behind the boat- I just came to the realization that I will never get good at rail riding and I don't feel like wrecking myself on a weekly basis. I just ride without a bucket now.

Someone feel like calculating the amount of force it would take to crack plastic from smacking the water?
torque and leverage. sping your arm around, your shoulder moves slow but your hand moves much faster. like how when you turn a corner in your car, outside wheels travel and spin faster than inside wheels.

think of your body the same way. regardless of if you just catch an edge or burry the the nose...any fall can really be looked at in this way to some degree since it is on water and the surface can be penetrated.

Ill give it some more thought and see what i can come up with.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-03-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I get how your head will hit the water faster if you catch a hard edge, but I still am suprised by the crack in the helmet.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
I get how your head will hit the water faster if you catch a hard edge, but I still am suprised by the crack in the helmet.
yea, i see where your coming from, too many factors to consider here haha. i think material and intended purpose, l ike what they designed it to impact, play a major roll.
I wonder if it was the initial impact (like a smack) that caused the crack or the force of the helmet pushing through the water, if you can see where im coming from in that aspect.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-03-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
wow, glad your ok man
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-04-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
I wonder if around that area is a seam in the plastic mold? With any other sports helmet that I have broken it has all been near areas where there are bolts/screws.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-04-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
i broke my tail bone on a failed raley attempt. i guess my ass ain't very well made.lol even though my wife thinks it is.lmao
well played with "lmao"

Last edited by flydenrict; 11-04-2010 at 3:02 PM. Reason: mispelled
Old     (stompsky)      Join Date: Sep 2010       11-04-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
Hey Wakeboarders!

I'm a UC design sutdent and I've come up with some new helmet concepts and I would GREATLY appreciate your input and feedback in this phase of the design process before I move onto deciding on a final designs. If you could take 5 mins to fill out my survey it would be extremely helpful!

A pdf. of my designs is here:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ dklxU2VqMGNRWUpFQlE9PQ

PLEASE fill out my feedback survey here (note: you need the pdf from above):

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PGVHCSP

THANK YOU RIDERS! SPREAD THE WORD! I NEED AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS I CAN GET!

If you prefer to e-mail me: gossss@mail.uc.edu
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-13-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Most helmet companies will replace that for free. I've sent in 2-3 over the years and they have all sent me replacements. Just call their customer service or e-mail them and they will most likely ship you another