Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Hey guys I was wandering if anyone here has ever gotten hurt trying a backroll. It seems to me if you underrotate then your back will bend upwards and you could really bruise your ribs or side. I don't know. I've tried the tantrum a lot and never have gotten hurt. I wanted to know if it is the same with a backroll.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-21-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
Beware of the famous nut-slap....
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-21-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
I learned the backroll easier than a tantrum, but I did crack a rib when learing a backroll.
Tantrum crashes crushed my ankles and I blew a eardrum coming up way short when learning.

(Message edited by BIG_X-STAR on September 21, 2006)

(Message edited by BIG_X-STAR on September 21, 2006)
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-21-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Byrd is right on the money. I tried about 10-15 backrolls this season, and after my last attempt my nads were throbbing for 15 minutes straight. Couldn't even get onto the swim platform for 5 minutes. I'll take a hard edge-cather head smacker on a 3 attempt with a helmet on over a nutslap on a roll anyday.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
Stand tall or numbnuts.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-21-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
I've had a bruised hip on and off totalling about 3 months between last season and this. Oh yes and I did one of those labour day weekend... I had to check more than once to make sure I wasn't bleeding. It was sure nice to get feeling back about an hour later!
Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-21-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Wow sounds like those nut slaps kill. But has anyone bruised any ribs or any other body part.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-21-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
hey Joe
I wear biking shorts under my trunks

no more nut slaps!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-21-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
12 stitches right between the eyes.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-21-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
fractured rib.... from initiating early came up short on the second wake and caught the carbon handle between the water and the ribs! fun!

tore acl a couple of months later landed it then caught ts edge on stray roller, one foot ejected and the board twisted the other leg right up.

both happened two years ago... back out goin at them again!
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-21-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
My friend broke his leg just above his binding when he wrecked on a backroll. kind of a freak accident, coulda been the bindings tho
Old    flyhigh916            09-21-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
nutslap, strained my acl luckily not torn, bruised ribs
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
geez i bet joe really wants to go out now and try a backroll.

I think the day i learned a roll i probably cracked a rib and i faceplanted so hard my nose started bleeding and i have thrown up from busting so hard. But the nut slapers are the worst. I think the best way to describe it is after smacking ur nuts the first thing u want to do is punch a baby! Or kill a kitten! either one will do.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
i caught the SAME carbon handle on my vest buckle on a roll2revert attempt as Gordon, resulting in a broken rib and 7 weeks of no riding.

never once caught a nutslapper.
Old    jolly_roger_wake            09-21-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
3 concussions. wasn't that bad though, i can't remember them.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-21-2006, 9:02 PM Reply   
I broke my arm last May trying it. My arm is 75% healed now but waiting to get my balls back to try it again.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-21-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
Under armor compression shorts or the biking shorts = no more nut slaps. I never had those with backroll attempts, but did crack a rib.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
Torn ACL
Old    muckno_rider            09-22-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
Blown out knee and dislocated left shoulder several times while learning to backroll.
Mmmm, maybe thats why it took me almost 2 years to learn it!!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-22-2006, 5:33 AM Reply   
This post is insane. Backroll was my first invert. I never came close to getting hurt.Im not trying to put anyone down but I see guys trying tricks all the time without getting proper instruction. I think that has alot to do with it.Also not learning fundamentals will kill you on your progression and advanced tricks. I know because I went back to basics this season to learn toe side and switch. I can see a huge difference in my riding ability. Also I am watching more and more instructional videos.
Old     (nauty_tique)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-22-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
Tore my muscle and cartlige(sp) from rib cage trying back roll. Drank to much liquid courage, along with the infamous "try another one" from the boat crowd. Took a month or so to be able to twist or crunch my ab's. Felt like someone was holding there fingers between my ribs and muscle combined with overworked ab's! Good times!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
I tried about 200 times without sticking it due to a too small wake. Never got hurt once. But I got pretty discouraged. I finally landed it first time, 3 times in a row when invited behind and older 2001 that was slammed.

However, I severely sprained my ankle trying a switch roll on the cable.

(Message edited by fly135 on September 22, 2006)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
No offense John, but backrolls can be done in the flats with no wake. There called airrolls.
The small wake is no excuse for improper technique. Not saying a bigger wake doesnt help though.
Good to hear though you were able to land them behind a bigger wake though.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
kevin's right. w/ proper technique, backrolls can be landed off a small wake, even out in the flats (air rolls). i landed mine on the 6th or 7th try behind an air nautique w/ no ballast.

i never got hurt on backrolls. tantrums, on the other hand, i call "ankle-breakers." leave early, land short, bye-bye ankles.

(Message edited by dakid on September 22, 2006)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I would guess that if John has experience with switch rolls on the cable, then he knows about air rolls, after all that is the only kind of roll you can do at the cable. Are ya with me?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
True, but he makes a questionable commet dont you think?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
IMO not so much. I know a lot of riders that that can land backrolls, but cannot do air rolls. Small wake = same principle. I can land a backroll of my boats wake, but pretty sure that I would wreck if I tried it behind my neighbors jet boat. Pretty sure most people learn backrolls before air rolls

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 22, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-22-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   

quote:

By John Anderson (fly135) on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:32 am:

I tried about 200 times without sticking it due to a too small wake.

that's the only reason i commented.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Yea what Joe said.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Can you land a BR behind a Sea Doo?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Well. actually Jeff, I can land air rolls, so I guess I would say yes.
Nothing but love for ya Jeff.

(Message edited by BIG_X-STAR on September 22, 2006)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
No worries. I would just imagine that if I had to try to learn a BR behind a Sea Doo, I would have never landed one.

BTW - Air Rolls? Damn, sounds like you have been kicking some arse out there progression wise. Right on!

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on September 22, 2006)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Agreed.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
No question about my comment in my mind. It happened exactly as I described. It's easier to throw a roll off a big wake than it is a little one. And yes some people can throw air rolls in the flats. And some people can throw double half-cab rolls. How many people here have enough "correct technique" to throw a double half-cab roll?

It's bloody freak'n obvious that if you have the right technique, you can land any trick.

"The small wake is no excuse for improper technique. Not saying a bigger wake doesnt help though."

No offense intended, but this statement is gibberish. The excuse for lack of technique is inexperience and lack of proper training. Something that probably every person here that has trouble landing a roll is familier with.

The experience I'm relating was 10 years ago, and it's makes a very important point. You can get an instructor with the good boat and great and learn it fast or you can try it on your own and take your lumps. When I was learning I was ready to give it up on my own and get a lesson, then some people I relayed my story to offered to pull and and I stuck them. Any tip that gets you to your goal is helpfull and my tip is that it's easier to throw it on a big wake.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-22-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Strained my patella tendon, ... slapped the nads WAY to many times to count. (Pretty much ends your run)

I sometimes have my back foot come out during a crash, and then the board comes up and smacks my leg. I get this HUGE bruise on the inside of my right thigh. .. That's pretty fun too.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-22-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
OK, after re-reading I guess you guys got hung up on my "due to a small wake" statement thinking I was implying that you can't throw a roll off a small wake. Sorry, that isn't wasn't I was trying to say. Simply that given my level of skill the small wake was preventing me from sticking the trick.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Its cool John, I def. see your point.
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-22-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Nut slap and torn MCL from casing the wake.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-22-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
thing to realize is that if the question was asked about a 180, or even wake jumps, you would probalby get the same, if not more people giving injury stories.

I think the biggest thing is to be in shape, and be riding close to your limits, and not trying things your not ready for.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-22-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
"i landed mine on the 6th or 7th try behind an air nautique w/ no ballast. "

I wish I had an Air Naut with no ballast.

Oh, as far as backrolls go...landed my first 2 on the same day, went in for my third any dislocated a rib, along with a nice contusion. Took me out for 4 weeks (and a bit longer, because I tried to get out on the water too early).

Tantrum: Sprained my MCL, then crushed my ankles. This trick still really bugs me, because sometimes I absolutely stick it, and sometimes I crush my ankles or skid out. Hopefully i'll nail it down be the end of the year!
Old     (luv2board48)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
Wow sounds like backrolls can really suck. I think I'll stick with the tantrum for now until I land it.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2006, 3:54 PM Reply   
Labor Day weekend i sprained my ankle on an underrotated back roll. Still recouperating!!!
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-22-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have effed up my knee and my ankle learning backrolls. Never serious, only small sprains.