Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-16-2004, 6:14 PM Reply   
got to the lake this weekend and pulled out my new light bar and the wire's were very confusion any suggestion? if not ill try it the way i can up with. does anyone else have this problem?
Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-19-2004, 2:37 PM Reply   
any suggestions
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-19-2004, 3:13 PM Reply   
pay someone else to do it...

if you can't pay someone to do it, It cant be done!
Old    jimmydager101            05-19-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
what exactly are you having problems with? If you let me know i can walk you through most of it. You don't need to pay someone else to do it because it is a waste of money and it is actually pretty easy to do. either shoot me an e-mail and let me know what you need help with or post on here and I will get back to you later tonight.
Jimmy
Old     (cwbwakeboarder)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-20-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
tell me what you would do
Old    jimmydager101            05-20-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
Depends on how much time and money you want to spend. I dont have a light bar but have tower speakers and it is basically the same concept. the way I see it, you have two options: you can wire it the cheap, easy way and get your boat out on the water and all you have to do is zip tie the wires to the outside of the tower. At some point, however, you will probably want to run the wires inside the tower so I will talk about that. It is pretty easy if you just take your time. Here is a list of the steps:
1. Figure out how much wire you need and cut it a couple feet ling just to be safe.
2. For me, the next thing I did was mount the speakers to the tower and get all of the wires hooked up to them. This will probably work best for you as well.
3. The next thing I did was cover all of the wire with electrical tape to protect it and keep it together while I worked with it.
4. I then decided to figure out where all of the wire would end up and I covered the parts of it that would be visible with black heat shrink tubing to make it look better. This can also be done later, however.
5. The next thing that I did was I figured out what size hole I would need for the wires to go into and out of the tower. I was running 2 16 guage wires and used a 1/2 inch hole and it worked great. One thing to consider here, I went to radio shack, or any other electronics store, and bought rubber gromets to go in the holes where the wire went into and came out of the tower to make it look better and keep the wires from wearing from vibration.
6. Once I figured all of this out, I drilled the holes.
7. The next step is to run the wires through the tubing. There are a number of good ways to do this and if you do a search you will find a lot. A couple of ways that worked for me was to take a piece of kite string or fishing line and tie a small piece of a plastic sack to it to catch air. Feed the line and the plastic into one hole and use a shap vac to suck it out the other. This didn't work very well for me so I came up with a new way. I just took the string and put one or two fishing weights on it. I put those in one hole and let gravity do the work. I then used bent soldering wire to fish it out. Then you just tie the string to the wire and pull it through.
8. Then it is up to you whether you want to go through the hull or just run it along your winshield or something. If you want to go through the hull, west marine has a really nice product. If you are intrested, let me know and I will find the web address.
If there is anything else you need to know, let me know.
Jimmy
Old    jimmydager101            05-20-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
Crap, I just reread your original question and realized that I went on a rant about something completly different. Sorry I have no experience with a light bar and so I cant help you out there. Hopefully, you will find what I posted at least somewhat helpful. If there is anything else you need let me know.
Jimmy