Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Wakesurf board at costco for under 300

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t41614&topnav=
Old     (chadgreg)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-17-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Looks like it my be worth a try... Costco has good return policy so if you don't like it I'm sure they would take it back. HMMMM?
From their Website:

The Osia Wakesurfer Pro 5.6 wake surf board package includes everything you need to hit the water and tear up an endless wave. This is a 5’ 6” long versatile board that is equally fun in small or medium size wakes. The short boards inspired shape with added volume give this board plenty of lift and help it float higher on the water. The varied profile rails are narrower from mid body to the nose preventing the nose from catching an outside edge and fuller and sharper through the back third helping the board drive along the wake while releasing water quickly. The squash tail and three fin set up allow riders of all ability levels from beginner to pro to have a great time on this board. Simply adjust the fin setup to match you riding style. Each board is constructed individually starting with a hand shaped virgin PU foam core and poplar stringer. The board is overlaid with S-Glass fiberglass and epoxy resin using a continuous wet wrap lay up process making the board very strong and extremely smooth. Hand sanding and high gloss polish protect the graphics and help make the board fast in the water. The package includes the board, traction pad set and surfboard bag.

Includes:

5’ 6” wake surf board
Traction pad set
Set of three fins
Padded carry case bag with handles and shoulder strap
Wake Surfboard Features:

Capacity: 300 lbs.

Color: Red

Length: 5’ 6”

Mid Width: 20.5”

Thickness: 1.25”

Full profile, squash tail for easy movement

Three fin set up in the back is adjustable to match your style

Core: Hand shaped virgin PU foam core

Continuous wet wrap layup S-Glass fiberglass on top and bottom

Poplar stringer

Rails: Quad layered, cross weave, S-Glass fiberglass for superior strength

Finish: Sanded and polished by hand

Traction Pad Features:

Comfort blend soft EVA foam construction
Deep cut diamond knob pattern for great grip even when wet
Raised kick stop in the back for sure footed control while carving
Raised center section matches the contour of the arch in your foot for added control
3M brand adhesive backing
Carry Case Features:

Oversize construction
Padded handles
Adjustable, padded shoulder straps
Accessory pockets to hold the stuff you take with you to the water
Water resistant tarpaulin lining
[Model 2046]
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
OMG! I will have to go give my client a big hug. (ceo of costco)
Old    surfdad            06-17-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
That's interesting. I had noticed that OSIA brand name on ebay earler - reminds me of the general shape/paint of the Triple X line, save for the tail. The 5'0" is listed on ebay for $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Osia-Wakesurfer-...item2c54f38173
Attached Images

Old    JasonDJ            06-17-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Interesting....this is manufactured from a Chinese company: Ningbo Osia Stationery & Sports Goods Industrial Co., Ltd.

Here is their site: http://osia.en.alibaba.com/

They make fiberglass surfboards, soft surfboards, SUP boards, skimboards, surf fins and accessories, bodyboards, and now wake surfboards. And don't forget their Stationery products?!?!?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-17-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
I recently bought a Costco stand up paddle board, and it works fine for what it was intended for.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-17-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
Stay away from Costco and support the Wake Industry
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-17-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poon View Post
+1
Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-17-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by poon View Post
+1 for supporting the local shops.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
The shape of the 5' board looks pretty good. I'm not sure about the fins though.

I really want a new board and I'm all for supporting the industry guys that made the sport. It makes it tough though when I'm looking at boards and they are $400+. I keep waiting on a deal to pop up but haven't seen any for what I want.
Old    surfdad            06-22-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
Clearly the number one draw for Costco is the low margins and personally, I think there's a place for them in the grand scheme of things. And if your option is no board or what's at Costco, you have to pull the trigger on the Costco board. The stark reality is that local and online retailers can't compete on price with a Costco, it woud be fool-hardy to even try.

But local retailers, which are going to charge more, have a few things to offer.

Selection being one. I'm not a big fan of the wakeboard company boards, but still being able to choose between LF, CWB, HL and Ronix and maybe IS and P5 is at least a 300% increase in selection over the Osia. Online retailers like Towanza offer what 15 different brands? It's a different market segment, that segment that BOUGHT the Osia last year and now wants a different board.

Expertise is another - wanna venture a guess what the answer will be if you're asking your friendly Costco employee if you can change fins? No not a fin like from Finland, a FIN on the board!

NOT being treated like a criminal is another - nothing is as much fun as the yahoo at the door checking your receipt against your purchases! Up against the wall mofo! Online stores are probably going to toss in a T-shirt and I know that my local Pro-Shop hands out little things like stickers to kids. It's just a nicer shopping experience. Some folks don't mind the "did you steal that?" queue, and some prefer a free t-shirt for being a patron.

NOT having to schlup your board the 3.27 miles from the rack in sporting goods to the cash register through the labryinth of aisles (did we go north at housewares?!) and then the next 4.56 miles out to your car. Although that is good exercise. Still local or online retailers don't make your shopping experience a trek through the Andes.

I think the biggest area that local retailers and online stores and the non-chienese imported manufacturers can compete on is that you'll get a board that you won't outgrow that first season. It's probably cheaper to pay the $650 once rather than the $250 AND $650 a little later.

There is ALWAYS going to be competition, if it's not Costco, it'll be Online Retailers vs Brick and Mortar stores, I think you just have to differentiate yourself into a segment of the market that's big enough to support your store. Making the sport more accessible through channels like Costco won't be bad in the long-run for shops, IMO.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-22-2010, 5:05 PM Reply   
Well said Jeff. I 've been thinking more about this myself since I posted and some of the points you brought up were exactly the lines I was on. I'd rather see a sale initially go to costco, knowing that they full well may have just hooked at least one (most likely more than one) individual into the sport. Which translates to more future sales at a shop or online retailer, which supports the industry, albeit later down the line.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-25-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Remember, Costco isn't necessarily always less expensive OVERALL. They do have those lovely big plasma thingeys up front.....

Depends on your willpower I guess.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-25-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
Just that fact that Costco is carrying a wakesurf board speaks to how popular the sport is becoming
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-27-2010, 12:38 AM Reply   
welcome to costco....i love you
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-27-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
" free will " isnt that what the devil says?