Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    absolutofft            01-16-2005, 2:23 PM Reply   

Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-16-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
Anyone else think that makes wakeboarding look gay to the general public?
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-16-2005, 3:55 PM Reply   
No
Old    wickedwake            01-16-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
Why would that make wakeboarding look sick? Scary? Maybe...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-16-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
I'm having trouble believing that this picture was not worked on. Does that look real to anyone? I hate when people cry "photoshop," but I don't know about this one. He looks 40 fricken feet in the air.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-16-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
j-rod, i'm with you. i hate the cries of photoshop, but that pic above is pretty hard to believe. i don't think even randy harris can go that high.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-16-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Trick angle, photoshop, whatever, freaking sick image. The polar opposite of gay.
Old    murrayair            01-17-2005, 12:22 AM Reply   
Something about that spray doesnt look quite right to me. And like j-rod said, that much air is questionable at best. When will people learn that you dont alwasys have to go huge for a shot to look good?
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-17-2005, 12:37 AM Reply   
it looks like he's been fired outta some kinda hot spring!!!

Jrod it does look like its been fiddled, no doubt
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-17-2005, 6:08 AM Reply   
Here one I took of Danny last year in Kelowna.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-17-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
Yeah, Something doesn't look right with that DH picture...too bad they don't have a picture of the boat.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-17-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
If you look at the double ups they tried to make it look like he hit the third one and the other two are behind it. when rollers and wake collide during a double up the spray is more of a Pattern like this )( when they bounce off each other so yea its tight but hard to believe it was not messed with.
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-17-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
Someone with time could figure out approximatly how high he is by measuring the angle of the rope compared to the water (horizon) and a couple of assumptions like height of tower off water, and rope length.
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       01-17-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
Nice pic hahn. In the top pic he is about 3 times higher than yours. No way that first pic is true.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-17-2005, 8:12 AM Reply   
I guess my post was a bit harsh..
When a pic has to be photoshopped to hell (and a very poor job at that) I think it seriously takes away from the sport it's representing...
I guess the outsider may not know it's photoshopped and could say "Wow, that's cool". Maybe if he was blind..

I think Hahn's pic is far more impressive.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-17-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
Thank you. In my opinion the first one is photoshopped.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
"it looks like he's been fired outta some kinda hot spring!!! "

HAHA!
Old    absolutofft            01-17-2005, 11:30 PM Reply   
Well I doubt the picture has been doctored with but I emailed wakesports canada magazine which the picture is from just to confirm it. :-)

Maybe we need the picture of Chad Sharpe from the double up contest to compare.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-18-2005, 12:51 AM Reply   
That picture has been modified. I, as well as Steve Hahn, was there all weekend and watched all the riding. The water was real rough, and hitting a clean doubleup was difficult for everyone.

Anyways...in response to Thomas's query:
(if my math is off or just plain wrong, someone please tell me. I haven't used trig in four years.)

I calculate that in that picture that Danny is 45.6ft off the water. After pulling the image in question into Photoshop, I can measure the angle of the rope against the horizon as 26.3degrees. Assuming Danny is riding an 85ft line, and it's the long side of the triangle, I can figure the right side of the triangle is 37.6 feet. That's to get equal with the height of the tower. Add in another 8ft, and we're at 45.6ft.

Simple math, simple Photoshop. Clearly Danny's been rotated, not just raised in the sky, so that throws the measurements off a bit too... but for that image to be used in a journalistic context, as it appears it has, is shameful. Doing things like that to images not only makes the sport look bad, but violates all ethics in journalism.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Aaron, if you want me to post that Chad Sharpe picture, I can try to dig it up. I can assure you that the Sharpe shot wasn't doctored with, but this one was.

Time to sleep,

Mike
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-18-2005, 1:51 AM Reply   
there is no way that pic is real.

here is harf throwing a 900 on a double up at the 04 Irvine PWT...notice that he is only 1/2 to 3/4 as high in this pic as he is in the first pic...
weird how he can get so high in canada, and then not as high in irvine, huh? and if he could actually get that high, im sure he would have landed a 1080 by now.

EDIT: after rereading mr. isler's post, please notice that the lighting is pretty wrong. look at the pic below that ive included...notice how the bottom of the board is kinda dark? yeah. this is obviously because the sun is up high and not illuminating the bottom of the board. ok. now look a the first (doctored) pic. see how the side of the board that SHOULD BE FACING AWAY FROM THE SUN is so beautifully illuminated? yeah, that shouldnt be happening unless this is an evening shoot, which im sure it isnt considering the fact that he's wearing a PWT riding bib...hmmm...

(Message edited by scott_a on January 18, 2005)
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-18-2005, 2:19 AM Reply   
Here's a clearer pic of what Scott A posted:

harf
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-18-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Scott,
You "CAN" get way higher in Canada, over California. In Cali you need a perscription! Lol!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-18-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
i did a measurement.... and the wakeboard in real life is 4.60 feat long so I measured that in the picture and that was about 1.25 inches... so I meaure how many 1.25 inches there were and then multipled it by 4.60 and that got me how many feet he was... and I dont have the exact number anymore cuz i did it last night but it was about 22 feet
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-18-2005, 7:54 PM Reply   
here is 2 of chad sharpe a 1 of parks.

Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-18-2005, 8:25 PM Reply   
Photoshop photoshop and photoshop
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-19-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Bull, I took all those photos!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-19-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
Everyone should have a new X-Star, then know one would really know if it was photoshoped or not.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-19-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
first pic is lame... All of the others are sweet. Those guys are pimps. The landing from Sharpe's glide must have been bone crushing.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-19-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
Here is one of Ryan Wolfe
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-19-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
And here's a sick one of Danny that wasn't released by wakeboard mag.

Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2005, 6:39 PM Reply   
god, I've seen sum of the sickest pix that were never released, this pic of danny is sick and very unique, I don't get them over there sumtimes or any of the mags, it doesn't seem like the sport is progressing the way it should be, the riders, yes but the avereage perseption and media, no.....
Old    butt_slider            01-21-2005, 7:13 PM Reply   
you guys are very smart
Old     (wes_can_riders)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-21-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
I was at kelowna and I dont remember that Dup being that big... but im not sure
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-21-2005, 11:18 PM Reply   
Two things:

1. I agree that the first pic is Photoshopped. That spray is just weird. I can't imagine how it could be real.

2. You can't calculate height using the apparent angle of the rope because you don't know where the picture was taken from and perspective will alter the apparent angle. To illustrate my point consider how a picture taken from the boat has the rope going up, or a picture take from behind may have the rope going straight down.
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-22-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
Salmon,

I agree completely that you can't measure height in any way in that image... I just wanted to put the stupidity of the photoshop job in numbers. Any number of factors would make it impossible to gauge it. But, it's not real anyways.
Old     (soonerboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-25-2005, 9:47 PM Reply   
Remember when Darin Shapiro won that contest using Parks' board?

shapiroparks