Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
I'm an Industrial Technology Major in a product design class and my team was asked to come up with an original product. Without getting into the actual mechanism, How many of you would be interested in a product that would automaticaly raise a flag after a rider has fallen and would also go back down as the rider starts up again. as part of the class we need to see if there is a demand for the product and that is what we are trying to find out with this post. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
Dude that is sick i would buy it for sure, actually your my bro soo?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-22-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
yes i'll sponsor you when i hit it big kev. But yo know you'll have to talk it up big time.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-22-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
http://hotbuddyproducts.com/powerflag.htm
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-22-2004, 11:32 PM Reply   
Sydwayz - I hadn't seen that, that is cool. But it is still button operated.

I would like to see one that is automatic. Maybe you could base it on the tension in the rope or maybe something on the handle of the rope or I don't know. Something that the driver doesn't have to be concerned with. Along with the flag going up, it might be nice to have a beep so the driver is alerted that the rider is down. Although the beep should be a switch on and off option. That way if you have a huge group in the boat, you don't need the beep.

Those are just some of my ideas. Matthew, maybe you can take some of those and run with them. Just remember me monetarily if you do and you do end up making a product that uses some of those ideas. hehehe
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-23-2004, 9:03 AM Reply   
Maybe run it on rmp when in "riding" mode, then have a switch to keep it down all the time when you aren't riding.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-23-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
Sydwayz that has been around for a long time the thing that matthew would be making would be completely different.
Old    swass            09-23-2004, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'd be interested in a speed-sensitive volume control for the stereo: The operator sets the high and low volume and speeds, and then the volume automatically increases/decreases based on the set speed range and volume range.

(This was Eric's idea - not mine.)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-23-2004, 9:39 AM Reply   
The stereo thing is an awesome idea.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-23-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
the stereo sensitive volume control is available. There a couple of companies that have rpm based volume controls that you can hook up to your stereo.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
When that auto flag came out a couple of years ago it was really expensive... like 500 bucks or something crazy like that.

The speed sensitive stereo volume has been suggested at least two years ago too. My truck has it, but it doesn't adjust the volume enough for an open air loud engine boating environment though. It works ok for inside the car though.

What would be really cool would be two small hydrolic wedges that are built into the hull. They would be placed on the bottom of the hull on each side of the rudder, as close to the back of the boat as possible. When retracted they would be flush with the bottom of the hull and have no effect. However, with a push of a button they would pop out of the bottom of the boat and begin to pull the back of the boat down similar to the transom mounted wedge of today.

They need to be near the back of the boat, so any water that passes through them will not be pushed back up into the hull, effectively working as chines. You don't want that. The water once it passes through the wedge would be extinguished behind the boat instead.

These wouldn't interfere with fresh air exhaust systems, and you could adjust the amount it protrudes from the bottom of the boat to truly adjust the wake.

It may also have a beneficial effect on steering over the existing bolt on design.

If coupled with perfect pass, they could automatically deploy to the right depth with a customized rider's preference, and retract when the throttle is pulled back to make steering easier when returning to the rider, only to deploy again when you pull the rider up.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-23-2004, 12:04 PM Reply   
Thanks for the positive feedback. One of our friends has a power flag. And since all you have to do is push a button to raise and lower it, i was always forgetting about it. leaving it up or down. at least when you raise a flag yourself you'll be aware enough to put it down when you're supposed to.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2004, 12:50 PM Reply   
Mr. Bird,

I would look at existing Patents. I was developing something like what you're proposing and found that there are a number of patents already in existence. Problem is people file them and don't do anything with them.
Also, you'd have to make it cheap, cheap, cheap. Nobody is going to buy a $200-$300 flag holder. If it's under $100 you'll sell a boat load. Also, my need to consider your local laws regarding flags, ie automatic or if somebody has to be manning it.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-23-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
Wake junky good input but i feel that your estimae yof what the price would need to be is too low I live in california and the power flag seells for 1000$ and are selling out everywhere. This Product would be way more advance and i feel that a lot of people would have no problem buying a product like this for 750 or so. Also you said "Nobody is going to buy a $200-$300 flag holder" Your right bu they would buy a flagholder that will go up with out any one doing ne thing. It isnt just a flag holder.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-23-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Kevin ~ I don't think any REAL wakeboarder will buy a $750 flag ANYTHING. You might get some dad that thinks he is cool and buy it, but come on bro wouldn't you rather spend $750 on a new board, bindings, vest, and rope. I know I would. In Cali you need 3 people so why would you need a auto flag?

Not trying to bash your idea (I think it's has potential) but for $750...... your crazy
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-24-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Ant what is a "REAL" wakeboarder, are you one? People buy 60,000 dollar boats whats 750$ You may thinks its crazy but that is just one persons opinion. People have hade no problem spending 1000$ on the power flag and thatts not even auto. Hey and you know what i bet some of those people were "REAL" wakeboarders. Great term haha
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-24-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
I think it’s funny that you guys (Matt & Kevin) asked for peoples input. Then as soon as someone gives you their input, you almost immediately bash them for their input. I understand that you guys want to test the market, and that’s why you started this thread. But as you said it is one person’s opinion, and that one person is representing the market you are trying to get a piece of. Have some courtesy and take what these people say and use it for your research. No matter how you justify it, $1000.00 is way too much for a flag holder, automatic or not, so try to figure out a way of making it less expensive. I'm in the wholesale/retail business and I know for a fact that its better to sell 50 flag holders for $500.00 (which is still too much IMO) than 2 for a $1000.00.

P.S. If you talked to your to you potential customers about their input on your product like you've talked to the people on this board I, or most people for that matter, would never by anything from you.

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on September 24, 2004)

(Message edited by wakestar8878 on September 24, 2004)
Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-24-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
Theres a company that has been working on trying to make that happen for a couple years. But good luck with it
Old    hoochie657            09-25-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
we were looking at a 1992 centurion and it had that u just pressed a button
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-28-2004, 6:09 PM Reply   
My brother is not doing this project with me. we live 140 miles apart. I've tried to be as open as possible to input. The truth of the matter is that this is a class project. if it works out and we are able to market the real thing that would be great. If not, no worries. I'm sorry if i've been defensive but i've seen the people from this board jump all over people for coming up with ideas or trying to make a difference in the wakeboarding community. In general there seems to be a lack of positive feedback at all.
I don't know how much this thing is going to cost. Someone else brought that up. But i do know that there are plenty of people willing to pay down bucks for cool little things to pimp out their boats I know from experience.
Again thanks for the info