Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
I need some help.

I am taking a week vacation and wanted to rent a place on a lake. I was considering the following lakes/areas. Fontana, Watauga, Thorpe.

Can anyone provide some insight on these areas or suggest others within the region.
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-25-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
I personally would go to Deerfield on Norris lake. The houses are top notch, killer water and it wont be crowded this time of year. http://www.deerfieldresort.com/lakefronthomes.php
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-25-2007, 7:45 AM Reply   
Water levels are down at Norris. Just have to watch where you go. You can't beat the water, though.

Jman
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-25-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
Watauga lake is incredible. My fiance raved about it when she was down at App. State and went there with some friends to ride. I finally had the opportunity to see it, incredible, gorgeous. I'd move there in a second.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
Check out www.lakeviewdockhome.com on South Holston Lake. Levels are low now like all lakes in the region. You would have the place to yourself during the week.

John Slagle is the owner, tell them that George Aslinger from Chattanooga recommended you check them out.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Tim - Lake View Dock is on South Holston Lake and it is much like Watauga but much less wind and more coves. PM me if you want help renting one of the cottages at Lake View, I do alot of events and business there.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
The lakes throughout Tennessee and North Carolina look beautiful. I have a few questions maybe you could answer,

Is Holston have less wind because of its location in respect to the mountains?

Is there a lot of boat traffic on the water?

I don't see a lot of homes, I assume many of the residents are seasonal, 2nd homes or part of tourism?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-25-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Thanks George, I'll let you know once I figure out our plan. I'm not pulling the boat on this trip. I plan on driving and exploring a couple different areas. I'm traveling with my wife and four month old. My wife is a nervous new mother.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2007, 4:03 PM Reply   
Tim - I would assume it would have to do with
the mountains, but Watauga is surrounded by mountains too.

Next to no boat traffic this time of year and there aren't many homes at all because the majority of the property is National Forest. Here is a peek at the conditions this time of year.
Upload
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-25-2007, 5:56 PM Reply   
Nate is right. I had the pleasure of riding his home lake and I was really impressed. We ran into some coves that seem to have went on forever. The coolest thing is,like he said, no houses. There was nothing but sky, water and beautiful mountains. I have also been on Norris a few times and I have to say it was great also. We were able to find good water even though the wind was blowing pretty good those days. Where ever you decide to go I hope it is everything you hope for.
Old     (mred)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-25-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
hey there if nate is going to help you out i would sure let him he is a great guy and he knows his stuff about north east TN and NC I love cherokee because i live on it but got to say south holston is a much nicer lake.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-26-2007, 3:13 AM Reply   
I am interested in purchasing property and I am narrowing down my search from a much broader area. I think a couple days on Holston would be nice.

I assume you can rent a boat for a day or two. I'll PM Nate.

Any other suggested lakes would be great. Right now my search area is still broad.

(Message edited by srock on September 26, 2007)
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-26-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
i was out on watauga the last couple days riding and it has been awesome, gorgeous lake with a lot of wind protection and very low boat traffic. i was told by this guy that worked at the marina that it has the 3rd cleanest water in the country and saw something about it online but i cant find a top ten list or anything so im not totally sure but the lake is super nice...def worth a look
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Dillon - Were you out on Monday by chance?
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       09-26-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
Here's a link if it helps. I am hoping to make a trip down there next year, this year didn't offer the opportunity. I will look up Holston as well, sounds great.
http://www.wataugalaketennessee.com/
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
Cherokee stinks!!! Nothing but jet skis and people pulling tubes.
Old     (mred)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
and one mb sport one centurion and one moomba that pisses them all off. hey marvin i think they are getting the idea that we arent going to quite using that dollar island area though.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Good call Marvin.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-26-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
Nate-ya me and some buddies were out riding from 2 to 6ish in between mallard cove and ridge cove marina, were you out by any chance?
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2007, 6:39 AM Reply   
This guy that works at my shop was out on a Centurion (Lime Green Stripe) giving lessons and he said it was super nice out. I think they were down that way.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-27-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
Yeah it was awesome out on monday but i didnt come across that boat, sounds like a nice ride though...we were out again today and got a little rain but after that you could not ask for better conditions, hey are you trying to get together sometime and ride before the season ends?
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I want in!!!!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-27-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
We hit it this afternoon over in Kingsport and it was butter. We are trying to get some people together the weekend of the 6th over at South Holston, if you want to give me a shout. My contact info is in my profile, just click on the web link.

Marvin - You are always in!
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
I would man but i have to head back home to go to a wedding...it will be fun but id rather be riding...thanks for the offer though, if you guys head out any other times and need a third give me a shout
Old     (johndoe30o)      Join Date: May 2006       10-01-2007, 6:50 PM Reply   
yo i did not know other people rode at watauga i got
a house boat at lake shore and am there almost every weekend oh i got a blue moomba outback v holla at me if anyone wants to ride sometime
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-01-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Okay, Where and what time!
Old     (mred)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2007, 8:39 PM Reply   
hey mike how you been hope all is well give me a call will be up there saturday might get to check in with you.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-03-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
ed give me a call. Would like to go out Sat.
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       10-07-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
hey joseph, me and some buddies might be heading out tomorrow...you going to be around?