Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
I responded to a friend's idea to have me ride his LF Trip a couple weeks ago. I was really surprised (as was my friend) that i had as many face plants, nose dives, and falls on the LF Trip when i rode. one face plant was bad enough that i think i front flipped under water.

I thought the trip was supposed to be really forgiving, especially due to the beveled edge. now i am doubting that and am finding it hard to keep it on my list of recommended boards

just about every fall was while i was switching the board 180 on the surface. the first 90 degrees was not bad but it felt like it was catching bad on the last 90 or so.

**Could it be due to the angled and somewhat cupped fins?
**the shorter 138 length i'm 165 lbs 6ft tall (as compared to the 142 recoil i ride normally) and/ or the smaller rocker. the 142 recoil has nearly half an inch more rocker.
the variable edge?... couldn't be
the water was smooth and could not be blamed.

the experience was more eye opening for my friend since he has had similar troubles. he decided it had to be the board after watching me. he got a slingshot board a few days later and his confidence intensified and his riding improved, much more forgiving and not so many crashes. he is still glad he got the trip though and felt it was a good stair stepper and helped him understand and appreciate other boards and their features

is it just me(us) or am i missing something? does anyone else feel that the trip is not so forgiving as it is made out to be?
**or is this a case of board size or fin style that i am betting most on?

any other features (on other boards too) people find unforgiving?

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 03, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2009, 5:09 PM Reply   
ohh yea, the center fin WAS removed by the way
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-03-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
So you're not going to recommend a Trip to others because you can't manage how to do a surface 180 on it?
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       10-03-2009, 6:48 PM Reply   
Apparently so huh?
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-03-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Wut?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-03-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Scott- lol nice

Jeremy- My very first board was an 07 LF Trip 138 (which is the same shape as 08 and 09). I am 185 lbs and 5'11". Even for being a beginner a couple years ago, i had no problem with the board. A lot of people actually love that board and even pros like lyman and doud ride that board. I ride a 142 now and even though a 142 is my right size, i can ride a 138 perfectly fine. The beveled edge in the mid section will not prevent any more of an edge catch than a non beveled board would. Just think, would a bevel of approximately 1/4" radius really skip across the water that much easier???? I dont think so. Beveled edges are pretty much for sliders and keeping the board from delamming. Having a center fin on the board doesnt really make buttering any harder either. I say in this case it def the operator, not the equipment....
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-03-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
unbelievable post....

practice makes perfect
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-03-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
+1

Never blame the board. I see beginners doing surface 180's on old school boards with 2 inch fins.
Old     (jhebert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
man ive been having some trouble getting my crow mobe on lock....ive been riding an 09 watson, if i switch to shane do you guys think it will help me stick it ?
Old     (jhebert)      Join Date: May 2007       10-03-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/bob-sichel-and-keith-lyman/
i dont think the trip holds sichel back
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2009, 8:29 PM Reply   
ya i know pros ride it too, like lyman. the lyman board (patterned after the trip somewhat) didn't give me any trouble and i liked it. i remember loving the trip back when it first came out years ago. I was just totally surprised by my latest experience with it. (maybe i just needed a set or two more on it)
Didn't mean to freak people out here. but i guess we all have these moments. on the water and on the forum. i'll just consider it a short stick for each in one month i guess

Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Everyone talks about how featureless boards like the slingshots really make you know your fundamentals because you have to rely on your rails instead of fins but with that comes getting really lazy on surface techniques. You can do damn near anything on a finless slingshot on the surface and not catch your edge but when you get back on a board with molded in fins you realize that there is actually technique required for a surface 180, which is second nature to people that ride them all the time.

Another thing people who ride slingshots or any really loose board for that matter is initiating there spins too early off the wake because they can get away with it. But when they move to a more locked in bored they get thrown off axis or lose their pop.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-03-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
maybe you just suck?

just kidding...but not really. haha! excellent post, scott a!
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-03-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
Jeremy Hebert-

Yes I think so....i've heard that the shane is especially good at crow mobes. The S4 is really good at pete roses and the lyman is good at Olay 5's. My transcend is super good at nose grap inverts too....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-03-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
maybe i have gotten extra accustomed to the current board. some experimenting with some other boards might tell... for myself anyway

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2009, 6:42 AM Reply   
I think "what what" is right on the money. I rode a slingshot this year and couldn't beleive how easy it was to surface spin that thing, pretty much like a Roam. No effort needed. I think you need better body position and fundamentals when riding a board with more bottom features.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-05-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
Maybe that's why they call it the "Trip". My Motive has two molded fins and surface spins like it's on butter at any speed. Do you guys keep the fins on the Slingshot... behind the boat? Hitting rails at the cable?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-05-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
The Only "Feature" on a board that I can ever remember making a board hard to ride or easier to crash on were the "Byerly Hooks" from a early 2000ish Hyperlite Byerly. Those things killed people (mainly people who just knew they liked byerly but could not handle the board).

That being said, to a certain extenet you can learn to ride any board, I hate when people just take on set on a board a feel as though they know everything they need to about the board. It take far more than one set to get to know a board. Unless your a pro rider working on a pro model riding 20 different versions of a the same concept in one day its really hard to get to know a board immediatly.

Just my $0.02
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-05-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I ride with Alex Graydon everyday and he broke his Watson on a rail and the only replacement our LF rep could get him at the time was a Trip. He never went back and says it spins so much better than his Watson... as evidenced by multiple W2W Toe 9s and Heel 9's off the D-Up he's stuck on that board. I've seen the Trip shredded daily and believe me there is nothing wrong with it to say the least.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-05-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
Wow lots of worthless replies here must be fall. Riding a board can be unconfortable the first time out, but generally if it's a sweet ride you will know it right away. A board where the edges are more rounded between your feet should definitly catch less and should be more forgiving on landing jumps.

If you are 6', you should probably be riding a 142 at least if not 144. Chaser's post above may be on to something - you normally ride a flex board without bottom features so it should be a pretty differnent ride. I owned the original Trip and now a Watson. Good luck.
Old     (spicoli512)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       10-05-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
Andy is right on. Those Byerly can-openers were deadly.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-05-2009, 12:27 PM Reply   
Good to get a few comments that are a lot more contributory and respectable this last half or so. thanks

i admit that i spoke too strongly about "removing the trip from my recommendation list".. i was just still fresh with astonishment about the experience and was not bridling those passions. so i apologize for that to any necessary peeps

just because something does not work FOR ME, doesn't mean it wont work for another.

I also agree with not blaming tools, but at the same time, some tools fit different purposes or styles better. ya?

its a little ironic that the "can-opener" byerly was mentioned. that is one of the older boards i'm considering testing out this weekend for my own sanity and curiosity. never had any personal complaints from it except some drag when i used to ride it. probably will take the obrien player too.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       10-05-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Well the O'brien Player will change your life.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-05-2009, 1:30 PM Reply   
I'm 180 and have ridden my friend's Trip 128 without a hitch - if anything, I ride better on it. Size should have zero to do with the faceplants... fins shouldn't matter either. While it sounds like it's rider error more than anything else, It's always felt to me like LF always concaved the hull of their older shapes - I would agree they're not as forgiving as other MFGs.

Could just be that you're used to easier (read: modern) boards...
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-05-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I wise man once told me "its not the arrow its the indian"
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-05-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
i had an old subjekt with cupped fins. I could surface spin that bastard 6 ways to Sunday. Keep that edge outta the water and it won't matter what shape it has.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2009, 11:03 PM Reply   
All right, the test results are in! might i say it was the most interesting board (re)demo experiment ever
I am officially an odd one... but that is no revelation to me really ;)

"can-opener" Hyperlite Byerly 137- had not ridden it since 2007. No problems, except for that drag-sensation that is felt especially when hard edging into the wake for a into-the-flats jump. I had one edge catch on one of the surface 180's, but nothing like i did when on the trip. i even got comfortable enough i went for a couple of back rolls: 2 out of 3.

Obrien Player 137- I actually have not ridden the player much at all. in this sense it was a better comparison to the trip. i bought it dirt cheap for friends to use and learn on after i was already hooked on the slingshot. Also no problems. Sorry Andy, didn't "change my life"... ;) at least not in the way you might have hoped, BUT I did like it better than the byerly and trip too of course. all 180s successful, No face plants or edge catches at all. tried a backroll on it too despite the HUGE XXL Link boots on it, almost landed it.

true i had to work just a little bit harder (than my ss) on these other traditional boards to do the 180s, but that is pretty much it

Rode buddies slingshot with the LF vantages he put on it from the trip... did this to confirm it was not the bindings that were not agreeing with me.

The whole experiment was "life changing" though or "re-afirming:"
1.)I'm absolutely SET on boards with flex features, namely SS. still think they are the softest landings and just more fun. FOR ME. and i believe they are the most "forgiving" in many ways (not just surface manuvers)
2.)The IMPORTANCE of DEMOING!!!! you might be that RARE person that a highly recommended board does not work with (i.e. me and a couple of my buddies)

*The one idea i have left for my un-agreeable falls is that the trip has channels on both sides of, and in the center of the belly. most boards i have ridden have cleaner bellies with no more than spines... however, there have been a few i have ridden and liked, like the lyman and era. hmmm

*This may sound weird, but i forgot to mention that it was slightly harder to get up on the trip. like it was wanting to pull the toeside edge down just enough to notice a difference from the other boards.

The Trip and I just plain don't agree with each other on a personal level. I could probably get used to it, but don't want to. i'll just have to settle on this as my answer i think

(Message edited by wakerider111 on October 09, 2009)
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2009, 11:20 PM Reply   
Juuuuust boosting my numbers :-)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-10-2009, 1:28 AM Reply   
Man, if you put half as much time and effort into learning an ollie 180 as you put into formatting your Wakeworld posts...
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-10-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
do people realize the more you bash a thread you dont like or think is stupid the longer it stays up top before dwindling into the archives. Ohhh crap... now i just did it.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-10-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
Man, how many sets did you take that day. I'm lucky to get 2 in with my crew.
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-10-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
I rode the hyperlite monarch and I broke it in half. Jumped on my boys Assult and took 3 face plants I haven't crashed like that in years.

Couldn't have been the beers or the fact it was my 3rd set. Hahaaah
Old     (adrien)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-10-2009, 10:18 PM Reply   
I am the friend Jeremy is talking about. Here’s my take… Jeremy had been riding without fins for more than half the season and was dialed. I was dialed into the Trip after spending my entire first ever season learning on it. When I rode his board without fins I would slip out rack my Jewels consistently just like when he rode my board he face planted consistently. If anything, this post is a testament to what happens when you spend a lot of time riding in any extreme. You will train your muscle memory to that extreme and it can be very hard unlearning the extreme habits. The SS Recoil without fins behind a boat is like riding on ice at 22 mph and it IS an extreme. I can’t explain why he didn’t have problems with his other more featured boards a week later, maybe he was not taken by surprise like he was when riding my Trip.
I really like the Trip and it is my first “real” board so I will always have a spot for it. I must say, though, that after riding the Sling Shot WITH fins, I am a convert. I absolutely love it. Thank you for the eye opener Jeremy and sorry all the face plants!!! :-)