Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
This weekend the Ohio Board Sports Club held the 2009 Lake Norris Ice Breaker. The weekend weather was absolutely fantastic. It was sunny, air temperatures were in the 80s, and water temperatures ranged from 62 to 65. We saw a few other boats from the on line community on the lake.

Our road trip down Friday night took a bit longer than normal so we only had time to launch and dock before we lost light. We were going to head out to Fast Freddy’s for dinner but I got my truck off the driveway and had to call AAA. That’s one steep driveway. It’s really remote, getting AAA to understand where the truck was the biggest challenge.

Norris_laker (NL) hosted us at his wonderful cabin for the weekend. Saturday night Mrs. Norris_laker made homemade spaghetti and meatballs, as well as “Pepperoni roses. Between Jac, Pete and myself I won the loudest snorer, Jac the most frequent snorer, and Pete the most interesting snorer.

Saturday morning we drove the Mighty Enzo to the Spring Dock Marina for a bacon and eggs breakfast. There’s something nice about going out to a simple dinner for breakfast, I enjoyed it.

After breakfast we put a 750 in the back locker, filled the midship tank, put a 750 in front of the midship. We didn’t like the wake so we added a 400 under the bench cushion.

NL has a new 5’10” “Long Board”. I probably rode the long board more than any other board. It’s not a fast board. It took a while to get used to the board, speed was maybe the first thing. I spent most of my long board my at 10.3 mph, vs. 11.5 or so riding an IS Yellow and IS Blue. I was able to walk, shuffle really, back and forth on the board. I was able to ride with both feet on the front 1 ˝ feet of the board quite a while. It seemed to me that at times I was able to ride the board while it was completely under water. When I was able to get the board way back in the pocket the tail seemed to lock in nicely. I wasn’t able to get ten on the board but I could hang out on the front porch a lot.

New to our crew late last year is “Blind Pete”. We I helped Pete learn to wake board last year. We tried wakesurfing last year but the results were poor. This year we put a makeshift arch bar from Gator grip scraps down the center of my HL Broadcast 5.6. We doubled up a short strip about where Pete’s front foot should be. I drove and NL coached Pete. At first NL helped pull Pete out of the wake, same as he does for young riders. Pete was able to get in to the pocket and get the rope slack; he also had a short free ride. Besides the “arch bar” we coached Pete to bend forward and put a free hand out to find and gauge the wake. I think Pete has great surfing potential and he’s a blast to have on board.

We took a break for lunch and then headed out for some wakeboarding and wake skating Saturday afternoon and then returned to surfing. Sunday we just had a quick breakfast at the cabin and then headed out for one more good set, had lunch and wrapped it all up. The Lake Norris Ice Breakers have been a great way to start the season. I’ll have my first crew in Ohio this weekend. The air temps should be in the 60s and the water temps will be somewhere in the upper 40s to lower 50s.

The following pictures were taken by Wakesurf Ohio, NL and family.

Norris is a huge lake. this is the tinny cove at the cabin.
Upload

The Mighty Enzo parked for breakfast
Upload

The Walker Project Long Board
Upload

Riding the WP Long Board under water
Upload

Wakesurf Ohio goes to the nose
Upload

I've been working on my coffin
Upload

Long board salute
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Pete gets

Coaching Pete
Upload

Pulling Pete into the pocket
Upload

Slack rope
Upload
Upload

Free Ride
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-29-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
A little grab
Upload

A little back side
Upload

Can you read the logo?
Upload

Wakeboarding really?
Upload

Take a knee
Upload

Wake Skate
Upload

NL on the long board
Upload

That's all folks
Upload
Old    surfdad            04-29-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Looks like a good day! Thanks for sharing the pics and details.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-30-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
Great pix. Nice meeting you guys down there. Could you have had better weather?
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Can't forget kay ridin' out in the foam!
Upload
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Looks like you scored. Missed hanging out with you guys. Hope to see you all soon. I'm stoked for Pete. I remember seeing him wakeboard and I was blown away. Is that Rob jumping the wake? I've never seen him wakeboard before. Right on Jack for going bindless.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Ya thats me, I'm actually competing in a wakeboard contest this weekend that OSU is hosting! Wish y'all could have come, it was a blast!
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-30-2009, 5:36 PM Reply   
Where at? White sulfer? Can't wait to ride with you.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-30-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
I have a crew for Saturday at O'S. there's room on board
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
Check that, we're getting rained out. Just about non-stop rain since we got back. Where is this Seattle?
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
WHAT'S UP SHOW. THIS WEATHER SUCKS. I GOT MY BOAT READY ALSO AND WITH A NEW PLATE ON THE MANUAL TRIM TAB. IT IS BIGGER AND ANGLES DOWN MORE. HOPE IT CLEANS THE ROOSTER UP ON THE DARK SIDE AND DOESN'T SCREW UP THE REG SIDE. CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE WITH YOU.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
You've got to tell me how that works, no wait I can just ride with you some time. There's a post on the WO site. Someone thought that shorter was better, it was not. A longer plate would be a cheap and simple solution.

I have my trim tab idea but that will cost some $$. I only ride the dark side now and then just to be a more balance rider and because it take so long to change over. To date it just hasn’t been worth my effort to set up the dark side on my Enzo, each time has been a disappointment. What if it costs $500 to get my hardware working, why am I spending my money to fix the dark side? I could buy an Enzo sack for $500. I could see spending $20 to $40 to fix the dark side. I’d do that for big Dean and your best girl friend:-)
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-01-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
IF WHAT I DID WORKS, IT IS REAL CHEAP. THE WIDER AND LONGER IT IS SHOULD PUSH THE ROOSTER FARTHER BACK. i DON'T THINK IT WILL AFFECT THE REG SIDE(I HOPE).
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-01-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
I don't think wider would be that good but longer should be. If the MTT were hinged rather than a flat plate I think that would help.

Check your cap lock:-)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-01-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Duckdiver, I installed a lenco plate on my avy and it really cleans up the goofy wave! Super easy install and I didn't pay alot.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-02-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
WHAT'S UP DUFFY? SENT YOU AN E-MAIL. HOW BIG IS THE PLATE YOU INSTALLED? WHAT YEAR AVY DO YOU HAVE? MY WIFE IS GOOFY AND SHE RIDES RIGHT FOOT FORWARD. PLUS I LOVE RIDING BACKSIDE. SO I REALLY WANT TO CLEAN THAT SIDE UP.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-02-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
I put a lenco 12x9 plate on. My goofy wave is super clean. My avy is a 2003, but they haven't changed the hull, so it should be the same concept. I bought a two plate kit of ebay and sold one and installed one. Worked out great and I got to save some money.
Old     (tdub)      Join Date: May 2009       05-07-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
Here are a few more from an observer...wish that I would have had my "real" camera with me and time to join in the fun!

Upload

Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-07-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
That's a great looking boat!