Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (goofyr44)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-04-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
I want to get into photography and don't really know a whole lot about it. I enjoy taking pictures and playing with them on my mac, but i want to take it to the next level. I want to start taking some good shots of our riding.I want to get a decent camera but can't spend alot of money. I was looking at starting with the canon Rebel xsi 12.2 or 10.1 mo digital slr. Any opinions would be helpful. thanks
Heres a few I took with a canon powershot 7.1mp.

Upload
Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-04-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Those are both nice/interesting shots. The Rebel series is a great place to start, if you can't afford top end lenses I'd look at the Tamron 18-250 as a start it off / do anything zoom. The quality will still be better then your P&S.
Old     (flwakecat)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-05-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
I have the Xti and she works out just fine. I've heard good things about the Xsi as a good starting place too. Just stear clear of kit lenses... ugh useless. Get something long and quick :-)
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-07-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
don't mean to hijack your post, but i am also new and looking at the canon xsi series.
should i look at the 12.2 or will the 10.1 be plenty?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-07-2009, 7:03 PM Reply   
I still think it's hard to beat the 4 mp images that the original Canon 1D produced. It was the last of the CCD sensors and it had a special quality to the images.

Anyway -

Answer: you'll see way more difference in your images between lenses then you'll ever see between 10 and 12 mp's
Old     (flwakecat)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
I second Rich.. save the dough and get a faster lens. The only time you'll see a huge difference between 10 & 12 mp is if you're doing large format printing... like posters and billboards.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-08-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Well i sure dont see myself doing large printing like that so I think i am going with the 10 mp.
I have been using a 35mm rebel lately and I have a couple of lenses. Will they fit the digital?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-08-2009, 7:57 PM Reply   
Yes, any Canon EF lens (film rebel uses EF) will fit a digital Rebel. The new Canon EF-s lenses will only fit the newer Canon digital "crop" bodies.
Old     (wakefanatic)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-29-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
Throw all this crazy digital advice away Stephen! Go buy a sweet medium format camera and one nice lens for around $500. Take it one shot at a time and fall wildly in love it, quit your day job and do it as a living and never look back! Post as soon as this happens!