Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-07-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
I'm trying to write a college essay on wakeboarding and its influence that it has on people in terms of drive, passion, the fact that it brings people together, a fun time, the adrenaline rush, the atmosphere (vibe). The positive aspects of wakeboarding. If anyone would like to share his or her story about how wakeboarding influences or impacts his/her life? Or any suggestions for my paper? I will post the final paper which I hope to finish by tomorrow.
Thanks
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-07-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding has brought some of the greatest and most true friends into my life that I'll ever know. You get people from all different walks of life that can all get along and build friendships based on one common passion. The crew I ride with has got people from all different walks of life, younger, older, married, single, white collar, blue collar, republican, democrat, military, civilian, all of that. And everybody gets along perfectly and just has a blast when we go out and ride. That's the way that wakeboarding has really impacted my life. I'm so blessed to share a common bond with so many different people that partake in such an amazing sport. Without wakeboarding, I'd definitely be missing out on some amazing people, and definitely being left out of an awesome international community of people. And not to mention, water just looks better with a board strapped to your feet.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       11-07-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Might be a bit out of your demo but, for what it is worth.

I am 35 and am a complete addict. Grew up Kneeboarding and got a Skurfer about the time I found cars and girls. Took a long break then 15 or so years later had a wife and kid and the ability to buy a Malibu. My wife and I both live to be on the water and my daughter is beginning to get into it as well.
Without going to deep into it, many dads spend their weekends and free time off playing golf, fishing, working on cars or what ever it is they enjoy. These all tend to be solitary activities that happen with the dad going off on his own and family time becomes a separate activity than leisure time. Needless to say this has a tendency to cause tension.
On the other hand when we start looking to the weekends or even the after work/school free time; my wife, kid and I get to go do exactly what we want to be doing and we get to do it together. Wakeboarding, skiing, or dare I say wakesurfing is one of the only activities that I know of that spans generations and gender.

To add to what Ben said, we moved to a new town knowing absolutely no one. One post on Wakeworld about 3 years ago helped me meet a great group of people that have become the friends that I spend most of my time with both in the water and now in the snow as well.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.

(Message edited by geogilbert on November 07, 2009)
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-08-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
thanks guys thats exactly what I am really stressing in my essay, friendship, and a common interest. Thanks for posting your input it will really help me develop my essay.