Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-30-2011, 12:08 PM Reply   
What would you like to see happen in the world of wakesurfing in 2012?

-Changes to boards?
-Better boards available at shops?
-More grasssroots events?
-More major pro comps?
-More wakesurfing in magazines?
-A new trick youve been wanting to see but has never been done?
-something else?

I for one would like to see more Pro Comps. I think it would really push the level of wakesurfing and help legitimize it as a sport and not a water toy. Same goes for more coverage in magazines. transworld wake has been showing some wakesurfing, but it is still mainly wakeboarders riding wakeboard brand boards and not doing tricks. There are some amazingly talented riders that deserve more exposure.
I also really want to see a kickflip happen. Drew and Keenan both have the pop and the skill to make it happen.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-30-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
Definitely more grassroots events and this:

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-30-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
grassroots events, and hope to teach a few people how to ride
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-31-2011, 12:38 AM Reply   
more grass root events

points and qualifying and somehow linking all the tournaments together under one united governing body with 1 set of rules

more events like the polar bear or the weekend after the polar bear where groups get together to spend the day or camp for a weekend

a cosmic wormhole between oakley and orville
Old     (ReSession)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-01-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
You know what's missing from all the Wakesurfing events??? An EAST COAST Wakesurf Event! Seems like the majority of the competitors are West of the Mississippi, yet we have tons of surfers on the East that are looking to progress the sport. I had a chance to attend one event in 2011 (Supreme Wakesurf Open in CA) and was stoked to see how the West Coasters do it...bring the family, friends, dogs & toys to the lake and camp out, throw some BBQs and jam out on the lake for some evening sessions. I can't tell you how jealous I am of this lifestyle and want to help bring a taste of the West out East.

This Spring, I am founding the N.E.W.S.A. (New England/Northeast Wakesurf Association) with my crew here in Burlington, VT and would love to make some new connections with vendor/company reps that would be interested in helping to push the sport further East.

And...if you're looking for more grass roots events, no city in America screams grass roots more than Burlington, VT! We have companies here like Burton that changed the way we stand on the snow, we have hippie-inspired Ben & Jerry's that crank out incredible ice cream with names like "Schweety Balls", and I work with 600+ young, active adults @ Dealer.com that would likely swamp the shores of Lake Champlain to help support the event and maybe even throw in some prize money! (alright, I'll climb off my VT soapbox for now!)

Even if it's not VT, we NEED an East Coast Tournament to grow the sport...there's plenty of dealers in MA, NY, NH & CT that would all benefit from sending out a few show boats to display and play with! If there are any interested parties, or if there's anyone out there that has experience with launching new associations and tournament planning, PLEASE hit me up and we can start planning for 2012 and beyond!
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-02-2012, 7:03 AM Reply   
There is an event in the works for the east coast in Florida most likely at the end of June.
Old     (Jbort)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-02-2012, 8:00 PM Reply   
looking fwd to hearing more about the Florida event - sounds super.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-16-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
Damn its simply same like every year, we just want a boat which throws freaky huge f*** barrel wave. Thats it!
Or just special wakesurf wavemachine.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-16-2012, 9:39 PM Reply   
still new to the WakeSurf scene but... What are grass root events?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-17-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
The term "Grass Roots" comes from USA Waterski events. See here: http://www.usawaterski.org/GrassRootsSeries/index.html

Essentially, it's an event that's more about introducing folks to wakesurfing and not all about competition.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-18-2012, 5:34 AM Reply   
East Coast events.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       01-20-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Thx tuneman, yeah in AZ we don't have any type of WakeSurfing events or grass roots for that matter. Except worlds