Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Jumbie)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-28-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
So this last saturday a group of us decide to travel to Wakenation in Cincinnati. We figured it might be empty with the weather forecast as low as it was but just our luck several other groups thought the same thing. The line was long, with maybe 60 people in it at it's peak, and 40 easily for most of the day. Still, I don't think it wold have been all that bad except for three guys from Shred Ready Helmets who came to do a photo shoot decided that three of the six spots on the cable belonged to them for several hours. Where some people were limited in laps, these guys held on for 40 minutes at a time. They never fell either since all they did were backside nose and tail presses over and over and never took any risks. When one finally did fall, he ran over, CUT EVERYONE and jumped right back in. So on a nice busy day a few pros come in and hog half the park for themselves for their company ad. Way to boost that company image. When people started getting vocal they just shrugged it off and kept right at it. Some kid filming his friends even came over and told everyone the photographer had told the riders he was done a long time ago but they still weren't letting go. Last I knew, the point of advertising was to make everyone like your company, not aggravate all your potential customers by being selfish cable hogs.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-28-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Stiff
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-28-2010, 7:07 PM Reply   
I know exactly who these guys are, maybe they will chime in? Maybe not....
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-28-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Did you sign up to wakeworld just so you could post this?
Old     (joran)      Join Date: May 2008       09-28-2010, 7:59 PM Reply   
I was there this last saturday as well and it was indeed very annoying, especially when the employees encouraged them to drop the line so others could take a run and a friend of theirs that was with them would say "hey, no no man they're in the photoshoot." People were getting pretty vocal about their displeasure. I feel for the guys who came from Tennessee and southern Kentucky, that's a long drive to have that happen when you get there. Some people only got in four runs over the course of four hours or so. There's a few complaints on the wakenation forum and I know a few people complained to employees at the park too

It's unfortunate really, Wakenation sees a lot of pro/sponsored riders come through and they are always super nice and considerate. Like About a month ago Erik Ruck was there and he always waited in line like everyone else and kept his rides reasonable in length and was real chatty while he was waiting. Plus his sets were super cool to watch when he was on the cable. It's usually cool when pros come through. Can't say the same for these guys. Maybe that's the image they like, I dunno.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-28-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
Ok, I was there on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. A group of us drove down from Canada to ride for the weekend. It was a beautiful day on Saturday, so I expected a longer wait. The long line started around lunch and went until about 6. Yes, it was pretty unfortunate to have to wait half an hour to take your 5 laps.
In defence of the Shred Ready guys. They were riding through the morning taking some longer sets, but whenever the operator gave them the signal, they were dropping. It might have been nice for them to take shorter sets sure, but I personally was enjoying the show (no Eric Ruck, but I was impressed). The photoshoot didnt really start till later in the afternoon when the sun was getting low, maybe 5:00? They were riding consistant laps, probably doing the same tricks repeatedly to get the right shot for the ad? I only noticed two of the guys cut the line, and that was just once, in front of me. I had no problem with it, and neither did the staff member that came up to ask why they were cutting the line. The constant riding lasted maybe an hour at that point before the photographer packed up and they dropped. When they did, they stopped riding for almost an hour.
The second photoshoot started closer to 7:30, right near dark. They had some flashes set up on shore and a couple guys in the water. The consistant riding started again, and lasted until dark, but the line seemed to be moving pretty quickly, and the photographer was shooting everyone that hit the rail, which I thought was pretty nice of him.
All in all, I got the impression that only two or three people were really vocal about their displeasure, but for some reason never seemed to mention it to the operator, or anyone affiliated with WakeNation. Yes it sucked having to wait so long, but that is just unlucky for all of us who happened to be there. I choose to dwell instead on the beautiful weather, the awsome features, and the good company.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-28-2010, 10:21 PM Reply   
yeah I would be pissed, if i paid $25 for a 2 hour cable pass and got like 5 sets. Also, there was a lap limit so 5 short sets. While some "pros" cut the line and didnt have to follow the lab limit. Are you kidding me, i would have been vocal! I would say - "i didnt pay for the weather or the company, i paid to get my fair share of sets"
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 12:41 AM Reply   
"Did you sign up to wakeworld just so you could post this?"

So what if he did?

It sounds like Wakenation should have made them do it mid-week when it's not so busy or have the riders wait their tuen like everone else.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-29-2010, 5:03 AM Reply   
I am with shooter. If these guys are pros what is wrong with monday through friday?
I also know that there are 2 sides to every story. I would like to see one of these guys that was riding get on here and tell their story.
If I was there I can assure you my day would have ended with one of the Wakenation employees telling me "Sir, we are going to have to ask you to leave".
Do they do this often at Wakenation? I am interested in going in the next couple of wekeends but i am in no way interested in this kinda ****.
Old     (wakenation)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-29-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Guys,
Sorry about the issues this weekend. We have a solid "no line skipping" policy. If we are busy, we also set a lap limit for everyone. Our employees know this. I don't know why our policies were not followed this weekend. We are meeting with all of our employees today to discuss this weekend. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Thanks,
Pete
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-29-2010, 5:55 AM Reply   
my first experience with cable was at texas ski ranch. i went early because they had a early bird special. when i was signing up i saw aaron reed of course he was a pro , but he and his friends waited in line like everyone else.THATS A REAL PRO! he was well mannered and very polite and friendly .he and his friends were fun to watch also if you asked for help they were glad to help you out.To me the responsibility falls on wake nation. they MAKE the rules and it's their job to ENFORCE the rules and make sure everyone has a good time so they can get repeat business.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-29-2010, 5:58 AM Reply   
I agree with Robert. I think the responsibility does fall on wakenation.
I am also very glad to see Peter get on here and apologize. It sounds like he will take care of this issue and I will definantly make it up there before it closes.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-29-2010, 6:02 AM Reply   
^^ me too. Please, no Canadian professionals getting photographed the weekend of Oct 16th
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-29-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Hi Guys, this is Tom Sherburne owner of Shred Ready, I want to apologize to the riders that were cut in front of by a couple of our riders. I have not heard from them yet and want to get the full story. I take this very seriously as I don't like my company represented in this way at all. I have built Shred Ready over the last 15 years on honesty, good customer service and great product. I will be talking with our riders and seeing what happened. Again I apologize.

Tom Sherburne
Shred Ready, Inc.
Old     (bbsxkills)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-29-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Alright, I'm gonna try to set this straight because a lot of what I read at the beginning of this post are gross exaggerations. First off, I'm one of the 3 riders that is being discussed here. We drove from Auburn AL to come up there for the weekend and we had been talking to the park about a time we could have a photoshoot and stuff like that. We pushed for a morning shoot, before the park opened, in order to not impede on anyone's riding time during the day. That idea was shot down so we figured we'd do it during operating hours. Later in the day of course when the light is good and there would hopefully be less people. Either way, we rode all day Saturday, waited in line just like everyone else and dropped when the operator told us to drop. We started shooting around 5 pm and it lasted until 6 pm. During that time we were told, by the operator mind you, that we didn't have to worry about the lap limit and that we could cut the line. I apologize to anyone who thinks that what we did was unfair but like I said, we were told we could. As for "several hours" of riding and not falling, it was an hour. That's all. Our photographer can vouch for that because from the time he started shooting to the time he stopped, it was right at an hour according to the info on the picture files. After we finished with that, we all hung out for about an hour until the sun was about to set. We set up the lights on the flat rail and shot it until the operator told us to stop. I'm not sure how long that particular shoot lasted but the line was about 2-3 people long at that point and it mainly consisted of riders in our group. So again, I'm sorry to anyone offended by what happened but we only did what we were told.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-29-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
Ouch. I really hate to hear that this happened knowing what a great company SR is and how cool Pete and everyone at WN was to us the last time we came up.... Along with Tom, I apologize to Pete, James and any other riders or WakeNation employees for the incident.

Tom and I were in NC at the time, and I know the boys drove up all the way from Alabama for basically just one day of riding and were probably just super anxious to shred... However, that's still not a valid excuse. Again, sorry to everyone effected and I assure you this is not a reflection of how SR operates as a company.

-Luker
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-29-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
Jeff slid that post in while i was typing haha

Thanks for clarifying duder
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-29-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
bu-bump "the sound of the Wakenation employee being thrown under the buss."
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-29-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Were these the offending Shred Ready reps? I think I would have given them cuts without uttering a peep!!

Name:  ShredReady.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  138.0 KB
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-29-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
bu-bump "the sound of the Wakenation employee being thrown under the buss."
bahahahahaha!!!
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-29-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
were with us in NC so you can see the problem
Old    mojo            09-29-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
definitely wakenation's fault. however, i think it's pretty douche bag-esque to ever skip anyone and i don't care if you own the park, don't ride forever while there are tons of people waiting. ever heard of renting the park? it's not very expensive. i know jeff from my years at auburn and would have just pushed him in the water before each of his starts if he cut, but c'mon fellas. be nice and share. oh an those girls are gross
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-29-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
I really, truly think you guys should have tried to come up during the week since you were planning such a long photoshoot. Saturday long lines aren't any fun, and they become hell when several carriers are being completely monopolized, and even if you DID have permission, you should have realized what sort of bad mood you were going to put everyone into.

The official photoshoot may have only been happening from 5-6, but we got there at 4pm that day and noticed almost immediately that there was a handful of guys just holding on to the cable as long as possible. I sat there in line watching the riders, and several of them were there from the moment I got into the line to the moment I actually got my chance to take a ride. My buddy that we brought up, he's pretty new at cable, made the mistake of buying a two hour pass right when we got there and only got five tries in before it was up. **** happens, but that breaks down to a half hour wait in line each time on average.

I saw the golf cart take the photographers out to set up for the shoot at the iceberg; this was after people were already starting to get annoyed at the long rides. And after it was over, our buddy who'd been taping for us came over and said the photographers were done, and were telling the riders to drop, and they still weren't.

As far as not bringing it to the parks attention? I did, but I went and told someone inside, that wasn't busy, because I didn't want to make the operator's job any harder than it already is. No point in distracting him and wasting turns of the carrier. I've ridden at Wakenation enough to know that the employees are usually on top of issues. Admittedly, though, I should have voiced my issues a little earlier; I was a bit nervous about losing my spot in the line.

The photoshoot that happened on the scion rail later on? Not even an issue in my mind. Crazy long rides when only a few hardcore guys are still riding is not a problem.

Overall I'm willing to believe that misunderstandings happened, but the whole thing really puts a bad taste about shred ready in my mouth.
Old     (Ruchus)      Join Date: May 2010       09-29-2010, 9:05 PM Reply   
Everyone at wake nation is extremely disappointed that customers feel this way. Everyone is trying to pass around blame we will assume it is our fault. Unfortunately I was not at the park any of these days. However, Pete did make it a point to sit me down and talk to me about the incident today. (my first day back since) I am wondering if any of these complaints were made to wake nation employees that day. Either way every operator knows that there is no cutting and lap limits apply to all. I apologize for those of you that were stuck in a slow moving line. It sucks. I am sure if you make it back out you will find that this was a one time mistake.
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-29-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
I really don't want to blame the wakenation employees, I know you guys are always good about handling stuff, and I did bring it up like I said. One bad incident doesn't ruin the park, I'll still be there next week for sure
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2010, 12:34 AM Reply   
How crappy, seriously who cuts in line? Pretty lame an op saw it going down and let it slide, but the real issue is with the complete douches who were jumping the line.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-30-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlin View Post
but the whole thing really puts a bad taste about shred ready in my mouth.
That really sucks. Tom and all of the guys from SR are super nice, honest, reliable people. Sounds like this whole thing was a huge misunderstanding.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Sounds like culpability should be spread around, SR for organizing this on a weekend, WN for allowing it to happen on a weekend and handing out the secrect golden passes to allow cuts and bend other rules with a nod and a wink. Riders were in a tough spot though. Told they can do it and had a job (photos) to get done that had to be balanced against an ethos between riders at the park and doing things they had to know hacked off some of the other clients at the park. Not sure what I would have done if I was a rider in that situation, but of course it is a lot easier to second guess it after everything happened.

Sounds like lessons were learned and SR and WN do not come off as defensive and certainly do not think this should have any lasting impact on the repuation of either company. I can vouch for the products and support of SR as a wakeboarder and WW kayaker and wouldn't have any reservations buying from them again.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-30-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
yeah i think the important thing is that both companies came on here and apologized. They also vowed to take steps to prevent this from not happening again. Props to both.
Old    ajmac            09-30-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Just because the WN employee said SR could cut still doesnt make it right. SR wasn't doing what they were told at all. They still made the decision to cut infront of the customers.
Old     (joran)      Join Date: May 2008       09-30-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
The apologies by SR and the wakenation head are great. Some private messages have also been exchanged and the matter is pretty much settled to my mind. A lot of the drama was caused by one guy in line who constantly spoke up about complaints, and browbeat the operators into not dropping people, constantly mentioning that they weren't supposed to, and aggravating people in line who complained by basically telling people to get over it. He's pretty much the reason the employees never did anything as every time they did he made it seem like heads would roll if the riders were impeded. Thing is, he said he was NOT an SR employee to anyone who asked, but when someone complained or an operator tried to drop a rider he spoke up mighty fast. I sent a pic of the guy to the shred ready head so if he actually DOES work for them I doubt he will much longer. Either way, I'm over it. Props to both sides for stepping in.
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-30-2010, 12:08 PM Reply   
Hey thanks for speaking up. I checked the photos and indeed this is not one of our sponsored riders.

Regards
Tom Sherburne
Shred Ready, Inc.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-30-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
so where are the pics? i'd love to see the pics that caused all this ruckus.
Old    mojo            09-30-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
just to be clear; i was trying to say jeff is a cool kid and pushing him in would have been all in fun on my part.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-30-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Dr, Klause, apologies for the derailment, but I have scoured your website and cannot find a way for a Joe to customize his own helmet. I need a lid for my 9 YO grom and would love to spoil him just a tad more with a custom SR cap. Is that feature pro only? Or can Cam form Florida who just learned to ride switch have one too?
As to the above thread, er.. better not stir the pot.
Thanks,
John
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-30-2010, 8:45 PM Reply   
Sure baitkiller we do lots of custom designs for individuals. Lots our team like them as well. drop us a line at Customerservice at shred ready dot com.
I or cory will get you set up.

tom (aka klause)
Old     (fijidaniel)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-01-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
I always try to judge people not on what happens, but on how they respond to what happens if I can. In this case, I think it was stand up on both sides as to their response.
Rather than getting on here and defending themselves, they took the high road and apologized and offered to handle the issue so it wouldn't happen again. I have several employees and you can't always control what they do, but you can handle exactly as these guys did. Bravo!
Old     (joshwrighttexas)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-01-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Revolution Cable is a Shred Ready Dealer