Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-29-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Hey guys i was able to board the last two days so far and im pretty sore today, I just picked up an 03 moomba LS and love it. Its alot nicer then the 89 larson i was using lol. I havent filled up the ballasts yet beause yesterday i had 7 people on the boat so i wasnt sure if i would need it. Do you guys fill up both the front and rear all the way. This week i was going to mess around with it a little.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-29-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat...what a great start to the summer for you!

I have an '05 Moomba LSV, and for me the best wake is full on the center sack, and about 2/3 - 3/4 full on the rear sacks. (I have the gravity bags, so they might be bigger than yours). I also run the wakeplate 1/2 - 2/3 depending on the exact weight...just try to make the lip how you like it.

I've found that too much weight in the rear bogs it down and washes out the wake. I would start with a full center sack, then slowly fill up the rear until you are happy with handling/wake characteristics.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-29-2011, 7:29 AM Reply   
yea def a great start i love it. Ill try that this week with bags thanks alot.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-29-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
he mentioned it was a LS, so that means its direct drive. does it even have rear sacks? if so where are they, under a rear bench or something?
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-30-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
yea there is a rear sac under the back bench i forget how many gallons but its pretty big
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-31-2011, 7:00 AM Reply   
fill them all, all the time..

had the same boat for 3 years. it was a good starter wakeboat.. adding full ballast with one rider will still produce a smaller wake than when you had 7 people in it. The back tank is 500 and the front tank is 300.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-31-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
oh nice thanks i filled the front yesterday and the back half and it was a big difference. ill fill them both from now on, is it bad to leave the bags filled all the time even when the boat is sitting?
Old    BenjTrogdon            05-31-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
I started out riding behind an old green Larson boat from the 70's... that thing was fun
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-31-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by steady902 View Post
oh nice thanks i filled the front yesterday and the back half and it was a big difference. ill fill them both from now on, is it bad to leave the bags filled all the time even when the boat is sitting?
Is it on a lift or on the trailer or in the water?

If your lift is rated for enough weight for boat + ballast, leave it.

You CAN trailer with it but it's hard on the tires/suspension and illegal in some places depending on lake restrictions.

If it's sitting in the water, leave it.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2011, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
is it bad to leave the bags filled all the time even when the boat is sitting?
Sitting how long and where?

If you're old for the whole day on the water wakeboarding off and on and just floating around the rest of the time, I would leave them full....

if you're going to put it on a hoist or trailer I would drain them - or if it would sit over night or something or if you finish riding and have a long drive back to the boat dock or something probably worth draining - it only takes but a few minutes to drain / empty (save on gas)

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 05-31-2011 at 1:13 PM.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
Beat me to it.
Old     (steady902)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-31-2011, 4:08 PM Reply   
yea im just going to drain them its not like it takes that long. Just figured id ask i leave it at a slip for the season.
Old     (French)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-31-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
We have the same boat too. It's been great and will throw a decent wake with some extra weight. Usu run front and rear ballast with another 400lb sac on either side of the engine. We've put another 400 up front but the wake didn't get too much better and the nose was easy to dunk. For surfing we use a 400 on the surf side of the engine and the other 400 angled across the backseat onto the surfside sack. Enjoy your Moomba! Good forum at www.moomba.com.