Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-19-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
2008 X15. Anything special that I need to know when changing the raw water impeller, any tips or pretty easy?

Not sure what ballast pump impellers I have (guessing black) but what are the best? I heard the green ones? Same question as above for the ballast impellers.

thanks
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-19-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Take your time, and be gentle with the small brass nuts. Clear any debris left in the housing thoroughly. If you got the MC (Johnson) impeller they usually come with a small tube of lubricant, if not petroleum jelly can be used. Pretty cut and dry.

If the ballast impellers are stock they should be the Yellow Polyurethane impellers. They are an improvement for 90% of users that don't have lots of additional ballast plumbed and use the system infrequently. The Black Nitrile impellers have a slightly higher suction due to tighter specs, but also tend to get stuck/brittle and shred. The Green were new last year and designed to stop seepage. If your not noticing significant problems I would not waste the time, effort, nor $ just to "upgrade" to the Green style imp.
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       05-19-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
Edgar - Pretty easy, although it is a V-Drive so the impeller is facing the Stern of the boat. I use a mirror so I can see what I am doing. I lie across the intake and remove the flame arrestor to make it a little easier to get to. Remove the 4 screws, spray some WD-40 around the impeller. Bump the starter a few times to lube the impeller making sure not to start the engine. I use a paint can opener and work the impeller from each side to slide it out. Slide on the new one, remember it is a splined shaft, replace the gasket and re-install the screws, done, pretty simple job, about 10 minutes and only one skinned knuckle!
Ballast impellers are simple, you should have 3, two are behind the access panel in the stern rear lockers and the KGB should be near your transmission. Green is best!
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-19-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
I was only having issues with one (port) not filling however after learning that I should be filling them while the engine is at 1500-2k rpms it did make it easier.
Old     (jame04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-19-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
fairly easy. the old impeller was a bit soft but not bad after 2 years.

this is my first time summerizing this boat. are there any grease fittings anywhere to deal with

what about a water seporator
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-19-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Check for a grease fitting on your rudder. I can't find one on mine, 05 MC.....